IGNORED

Original Flashback2 Sighting... $24.99

Maybe this sort of thing has already been discussed, if so sorry for the repetitive post... this surprised me yesterday and thought some people here would be interested.

I happened upon a fresh pile of Flashback2's while grocery shopping at a local supermarket (not walmart). I would have expected new retail FB's to be FB2+'s but these are originals so they must be back-stock or refurbs...or something. I know these can be had online but I haven't seen any of on retail shelves for a couple years...I wonder how many are still being warehoused?

I have one so didn't buy another...maybe if they mark down what's left of them in a week or so I'll pick one/some up. Been wanting to cart-modded FB2 for awhile.

post-4864-129167467927_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

hey, you work for the company that made flashbacks?

I have to assume you missed the plethora of posts here to that fact over the last 5 years. ;)

Yes, I work with Curt under Legacy Engineering - the Flashback 2 and 2+, and I did the Taco Bell Atari games we released.

yeah, i missed them. :)

hey, you work for the company that made flashbacks?

I have to assume you missed the plethora of posts here to that fact over the last 5 years. ;)

Yes, I work with Curt under Legacy Engineering - the Flashback 2 and 2+, and I did the Taco Bell Atari games we released.

you did the taco bell games! those were awesome. when i saw that in the kids meal i almost choked on my chulupa.

• Like 1

Where is this at?

And yes, we haven't made any new FB2's since 2005. Just the even more limited 2+ run for Atari.

These were seen in Southern Mo.

As in what store? I'm interested in tracking if this is a national thing or not, and the possibility of these being pirate versions.

Edited by wgungfu

Where is this at?

And yes, we haven't made any new FB2's since 2005. Just the even more limited 2+ run for Atari.

These were seen in Southern Mo.

As in what store? I'm interested in tracking if this is a national thing or not, and the possibility of these being pirate versions.

I have ordered a flashback 2 from amazon a few days ago should land sometime next month (I am in south africa)

I have been reading these threads for some time now , and I found it funny as units seem to pop up every now and then, and I know you guys at Legacy stated no more except for the 15 000 flashback 2+ has been produced.

will there be a way to distinguish a "pirate" from an official legacy engineering release ?

that is assuming pirates exist.

I'm wondering if there could very well be pirate units, anybody want to pick one up for me, I'll send you the money for it and shipping so I can examine it, though it could be tooling and materials leaked from the original factory to a 3rd party, so it may be impossible to determine if they are pirated or not.

It's the Ralph's in Rancho San Diego, near Hillsdale Middle School.

Although I posted that like 3 days ago, I sighted them a while back (Few months honestly)

But there were alot, I can't imagine them selling out. If they did, than I really don't understand why they don't come out with a FB3. It's worth a shot checking it out if your ever in the area.

It's the Ralph's in Rancho San Diego, near Hillsdale Middle School.

Although I posted that like 3 days ago, I sighted them a while back (Few months honestly)

But there were alot, I can't imagine them selling out. If they did, than I really don't understand why they don't come out with a FB3. It's worth a shot checking it out if your ever in the area.

Once again, we didn't authorize these. The original 2005 ones are long gone, which is why Atari worked with us to do the 2+ which is still available on Atari's site.

As for why they haven't done our FB3, that's been more than covered in this forum.

Is there a chance that when these were originally sold, some warehouse bought a ton of them and is just now distributing them out to various retailers? Seems odd that most of these are showing up in grocery stores.

After searching a bit, Smiths, Ralphs and Bakers grocery stores direct you to Fred Meyer (a division of Kroger) concerning their entertainment products. Considering Kroger is the 2nd largest general retailer in the US to Wal-Mart, maybe they have a bunch of old stock they are getting rid of. Is there any way you guys at Legacy can see how many units were purchased by Kroger to sell and distribute to their stores to ensure there aren't a ton of pirate consoles out there?

Is there a chance that when these were originally sold, some warehouse bought a ton of them and is just now distributing them out to various retailers? Seems odd that most of these are showing up in grocery stores.

After searching a bit, Smiths, Ralphs and Bakers grocery stores direct you to Fred Meyer (a division of Kroger) concerning their entertainment products. Considering Kroger is the 2nd largest general retailer in the US to Wal-Mart, maybe they have a bunch of old stock they are getting rid of. Is there any way you guys at Legacy can see how many units were purchased by Kroger to sell and distribute to their stores to ensure there aren't a ton of pirate consoles out there?

We never distributed any to Kroger, and again we know how many were manufactured and what retailers were provided what. Getting it in to specific retailers and distributors was a big deal at the time, and something that had to be worked towards and negotiated. As for grocery stores, those are usually lower tier retailers - which typically sell asian knockoffs and cheap toys.

Edited by wgungfu

After searching a bit, Smiths, Ralphs and Bakers grocery stores direct you to Fred Meyer (a division of Kroger) concerning their entertainment products.

Nice detective work. I think the best thing to do now would be Legacy Engineering contacting Fred Meyer directly to find out their source for these. Marty, might it be likely that one of the retailers/distributors who bought stock from you guys back at launch recently found a bunch of leftover in a warehouse and decided to just sell all of it to someone else instead of redistributing it to their retail stores? Old stock does get rediscovered every now and then; my local Best Buy stores have suddenly all begun carrying heavily discounted copies of a certain anime DVD from 2006 that I know did not sell well back then. Perhaps a former FB2 buyer decided, "We won't make good money on these Atari things now; we believe the retro game fad is dead. Let's see if someone else wants them."

Of course, I'm just speculating. Better to ask the source.

onmode-ky