IGNORED

PS3 Jailbreak, homebrew - anyone here do this yet?

Underball

Looking at some of the tutorials for using an iPhone or iPod to downgrade/jailbreak, man this scene is a confusing mess. Much worse than even the PSP custom firmware scene was.

I'm curious to try it, but there's so much conflicting info out there. Anyone here try this yet?

Nope. The assinine PSP scene makes me not even go near the PS3. Sony makes it hard enough with their constant firmware updates, add annoying people to the mix and it equals frustration.

Looking at some of the tutorials for using an iPhone or iPod to downgrade/jailbreak, man this scene is a confusing mess. Much worse than even the PSP custom firmware scene was.

I'm curious to try it, but there's so much conflicting info out there. Anyone here try this yet?

Nope. The assinine PSP scene makes me not even go near the PS3. Sony makes it hard enough with their constant firmware updates, add annoying people to the mix and it equals frustration.

The PSP was relatively easy to crack. I even got into heavily customizing the OS and XMB/Gui for a while.

But the PS3 scene looks like some shit out of the movie "idiocracy". "You talk like a fag, and your shit's all retarded." :roll:

So are there any benefits to PS3 modding? Cool homebrew? Other OS? Heck, is basic piracy even sorted out yet?

PSN provides a lot of neat services for free, and doing without it is a pretty hard sell. These days games require regular patches, most focus on online play, and there's DRM everywhere. What does a hacked PS3 do that's worth the effort?

So are there any benefits to PS3 modding? Cool homebrew? Other OS? Heck, is basic piracy even sorted out yet?

PSN provides a lot of neat services for free, and doing without it is a pretty hard sell. These days games require regular patches, most focus on online play, and there's DRM everywhere. What does a hacked PS3 do that's worth the effort?

You can back up your hard media games (bluray/dvd) games and run them from the HD.

also - homebrews are popping up. Doom/Heretic, a few others emulators.