IGNORED

Seriously off topic

marc.hull

Hey Chris!!! I didn't know you lurked here! :)

This forum is for programming the TI, but as you'll see, we talk about a hell of alot more than just that. :)

Matthew is one of our hardware guri, and Marc Hull is doing some great work with a new sound card for the TI expansion box. I think maybe Marc wants to hook up an XBox 360 drive to the TI-99.... Halo 3 in 15 colors--- block graphics only at a 24x32 screen resolution. That would either suck or be the greatest thing ever...

I'm reflowing the CPU and GPU for a friend who has an Xbox with the "red ring of death" problem. I know nothing about the DVD though, that's too "high level" for me. ;) If it does not go together with solder, I don't know anything about it.

I spent about an hour getting the F*cking plastic off and found I don't have the right size torx head for the screws. I don't know what the red ring of death is but I do now understand the brown ring of Microsoft. Screw this.... Anybody who puts that much energy into making sure you can't even open the case must have a serious case of stick up the ass. I'm sticking with my TI, Colecovision and NES. At least you can open them ;-)...

The xbox is a bitch from what I hear (I don't and won't own one.) There are kits out there with special tools just to open them. My friend spends a lot of time researching and reading about this stuff before he sets off to mess with it. He also bought the torx driver M$ used. He opened the case and prep'd the board, all I have to do is reflow the BGA's. But yeah, I'd rather be messing with 20 year old gear too.

The xbox is a bitch from what I hear (I don't and won't own one.) There are kits out there with special tools just to open them. My friend spends a lot of time researching and reading about this stuff before he sets off to mess with it. He also bought the torx driver M$ used. He opened the case and prep'd the board, all I have to do is reflow the BGA's. But yeah, I'd rather be messing with 20 year old gear too.

I got the case apart and pulled the DVD and low and behold it sits directly above (like 1/8") the biggest heat sink I have ever seen. Wonder what the problem was ???? Now I come to understand in order to replace the drive you have to flash a product key to it that is matched to the Mobo. That is some serious chicken shit stuff Microsoft.. Any one want to buy some gently used Xbox 360 parts ???

OK end of this thread and end of the Xbox.

Heh--- I'm a TI, NES, SNES, Genesis kinda guy. I know Codex is a big Genesis advocate too. I miss my NES... Need to pick one up one of these days. :)

I DID have a Sega Dreamcast and I have to say it was probably my favorite of all CD/DVD systems. Grandia II will stay in my top 3 favorite RPGs ever. Shame that game wasn't ported to any other systems. :(

heh.... How's your boy, Marc? Does he remember "BONER POINTS"? =) **aside** just got your package, Marc. =) Thanks

Damn Mr. Herbert...... ;-)

Yea yea I remember the joke but dude you came off sounding like such a pedophile back there ;-) I'll let you explain...

Glad the GK is back in the hands of someone who can appreciate it. I guess I couldn't wrap my head around it's usefulness but I'm sure you can. Good luck with it.

Damn... that DID sound horrible!

So Marc Hull traded for my old GRAM Kracker about a year ago. He said he sat and messed with it for a while and he and his son were able to alter the contents of a cartridge... Defender (if I remember correctly). Instead of saying "BONUS POINTS", this dude altered it to say "BONER POINTS" and he said they both got a kick out of it.

So... I'm not a pedophile. Whew!!!

ON the GK, yea man... With that and a CF7, you pretty much never need any cartridges for anything... And as a guy who travels ALL THE TIME, it's a nice portable option for my TI. I'll need some sort of protective case for the CF7 though.... It's a delicate piece of gear and the version I have is particularly suceptible to destruction. =)

I spent about an hour getting the F*cking plastic off and found I don't have the right size torx head for the screws. I don't know what the red ring of death is but I do now understand the brown ring of Microsoft. Screw this.... Anybody who puts that much energy into making sure you can't even open the case must have a serious case of stick up the ass. I'm sticking with my TI, Colecovision and NES. At least you can open them ;-)...

Try the Wii. The XBox360 is PLEASANT compared to that unit. You need two different screwdrivers to get each piece off, and one of them is a custom Nintendo job.

Hey Marc. You can't just swap out any old DVD drive on the 360, it has to be a compatible DVD drive - ie one sold specifically for the 360 by MS. It's part of their copy protection - blame it on the pirates. That being said, I bought one on eBay from China for $40 with ultra cheap shipping about 1.5 years ago and all you have to do then is swap out the control board on the new drive with the one from the old drive. A DVD drive from a red ringed 360 will also work. I'm not sure one from a banned console would work and I don't know what a new drive costs so I can't compare prices.

I assume this is one of the original style consoles and not a 360S as that would still be on warranty even for DVD drive.

Let me know if you would like to go that route and I'll dig up the instructions I used to do the swap, but it was fairly painless except for opening the actual case.

Steve

Edited by snume

Hey Marc. You can't just swap out any old DVD drive on the 360, it has to be a compatible DVD drive - ie one sold specifically for the 360 by MS. It's part of their copy protection - blame it on the pirates. That being said, I bought one on eBay from China for $40 with ultra cheap shipping about 1.5 years ago and all you have to do then is swap out the control board on the new drive with the one from the old drive. A DVD drive from a red ringed 360 will also work. I'm not sure one from a banned console would work and I don't know what a new drive costs so I can't compare prices.

I assume this is one of the original style consoles and not a 360S as that would still be on warranty even for DVD drive.

Let me know if you would like to go that route and I'll dig up the instructions I used to do the swap, but it was fairly painless except for opening the actual case.

Steve

Please dig em up. If it's just a board swap how hard could that be (laughing as he said it ;-).

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just be VERY SURE you get the exact same model of drive. there are only the 3 to choose from, but you'd hate to get the wrong one.

We had a snow day today so I gave it a shot. Swapped the board out to a new drive. Soldering the power lines and switch leg was easier than manipulating those little ribbon cables. So far score is Microsoft zero... Home repair 1. Thanks for the pointers (From my boys...)