* The King of Fighters '94

* Samurai Showdown

* Baseball Stars Professional

* Magician Lord

* Metal Slug

* League Bowling

* Super Sidekicks

* Art of Fighting

Each PS3 title will cost $8.99 and each PSP title will cost $6.99 -- that right, you have to buy it twice to use it on both systems. These aren't the exact same games, however; SNK has updated the games to support versus and/or co-op play over the PSN (ad-hoc only on the PSP). Fatal Fury and Metal Slug will debut for the PSP on December 21st, but the rest of the portable iterations will show up in January 2011.

Is there some special reason that only the oldest, crustiest neo geo games always seem to get released this way?

They're smaller. In the range of 45-110 Megs vs the 600+ Megs the later games could be. I think the later ones used special compression to pass the 330 Meg limit which may be an issue with emulation.

Tempest

PS3 has well more than enough memory, speed and space, it's not like it's 1995 and we're challenging the system's capabilities. Seems like even the largest neo geo games are under 100mb, which is starting to sound like almost nothing. I think SNK is starting out this way because they know we won't buy this old stuff at all if they kicked it off with Mark of the Wolves. Of course I doubt the sales on any of these dinosaurs are going to be high enough to motivate the production of any more SNK titles.

Also, SNK Arcade Classics Vol 1 was released on PSP. It had a slightly better game lineup, and a quick google shopping search shows it's current (new) price to be $10 +shipping. Do they really expect to sell any of these downloadables? PSPgo users *really* get the shaft--all the way to the hilt.

Edited by Reaperman

Is there some special reason that only the oldest, crustiest neo geo games always seem to get released this way?

They're smaller. In the range of 45-110 Megs vs the 600+ Megs the later games could be. I think the later ones used special compression to pass the 330 Meg limit which may be an issue with emulation.

Tempest

There are no emulation issues with those higher capacity later games. At least, not with a halfway decent emulator. Based on how horrible the US-released KOF Orochi collection for the PS2 was, I wouldn't put it past them.

Why not just buy the real thing :ponder:

:evil:

AX

Because a consolized MVS with Universe BIOS costs more than a PS3 and a 360 put together, and MVS carts, while generally cheaper than AES carts, still take up an absolutely mad amount of space. Deciding to put a lot of time and effort into modding a crappy old $100 Compaq PC into an S-Video outputting emulation station in direct opposition to a possibility of buying a consolized MVS is perhaps the greatest gaming decision I have ever made.

Because a consolized MVS with Universe BIOS costs more than a PS3 and a 360 put together, and MVS carts, while generally cheaper than AES carts, still take up an absolutely mad amount of space. Deciding to put a lot of time and effort into modding a crappy old $100 Compaq PC into an S-Video outputting emulation station in direct opposition to a possibility of buying a consolized MVS is perhaps the greatest gaming decision I have ever made.

You must have been looking at those insane eBay listings. Last I checked a CMVS would cost around $300, pre-built. Somewhat less if you put it together yourself, but it's harder than assembling a PC for sure.

You must have been looking at those insane eBay listings. Last I checked a CMVS would cost around $300, pre-built. Somewhat less if you put it together yourself, but it's harder than assembling a PC for sure.

Where can you get one for $300?

I bought my 138-in-1 cart with F1 board (takes up about the space of an NES or less) for $78 on ePay. I've used it with a TVator, goes from RGB to composite. I bought that from southern thrift for $3 (actually have two), a PC power supply from a yard sale ($2) and two gamecube arcade sticks purchased and rewired (2 x $4.99 each from Game Stop NEW on clearence). I have less then $100 in it. The deals are out there ;)

I'm planning to put it in a spare 5200 shell, painted, and logo-ed eventually.

AX

Where can you get one for $300?

I had one made for me for about that (I doubt the source of my cmvs would repeat it though). My full MVS arcade cabinet was only a bit more than $300 too, and since then I've seen them available in the ~$150 range. (search ebay locally) MVS games are a bit more expensive than these downloadables but are certainly still reasonable ($20-50 for most). Then when you're done you can say you own a neo geo, which is the biggest part that these ports/downloads/compilations on common walmart systems are lacking.

There are bargains on MVS too. Mark of the Wolves comes to mind, since it gets pretty expensive on other systems for some reason, and is actually least expensive as the real deal.

Edited by Reaperman

Sounds like you've got to either get really lucky and still need to put in a lot of work to get it working or that $300 figure is outdated. So my argument still stands.

I had it made for me, so no, but I doubt the person who built it will build another one since he's moved on to other things. $300 is pretty close to right, a quick ebay search turned up a supergun for $220 shipped (eBay Auction -- Item Number: 1605231614571?ff3=2&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&item=160523161457&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]) then add a common mvs board for $50-75 and you're good.

$400 will get a full arcade machine (eBay Auction -- Item Number: 2905061804261?ff3=2&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&item=290506180426&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]) which is about what I paid for mine (better deals are available when you don't do buy-it-now). The trick is to wait until one is up for sale locally.

Those are prices at this moment, imagine what you could find if you waited around a deal.

Edited by Reaperman

• 2 weeks later...