IGNORED

Vectrex CRTs

simbalion

I'm by no means an expert, but I would like to think my tinkering with antique radios and televisions along with arcade games has given me some knowledge. When I look up repairs for Vectrex consoles, I find alot of helpful info about the circuit boards and such that can get bad connections and/or bad capacitors and such. One thing I have not seen is about the CRT itself, that tube you see all the wonderful graphics on. I guess we don't worry so much about most consoles because they can move from TV to TV, but the Vectrex has the monitor built in.

From my tinkering with old Televisions and even the arcade games I've got, I've learned that no matter the size of the CRT, they are basically a big vacuum tube and eventually, they become exhausted and die. At one time TV shops carried spared CRTs for sets as it was economical to replace an exhausted picture tube. In fact, I even have a spare for my favorite old set. That said, the Vectrex was made in a time were electronics were becoming more and more throw away and I am wondering if any spare CRTs even exist for the units. It's hard enough to come up with a CRT for an old set that was made during the time where CRT replacement was common! I know this is an issue already hitting the arcade collectors, so I think it's a good idea to figure out how to keep our beloved Vectrexes going in the future. Not trying to be all doom and gloom or alarmist, just trying to point out an issue we might all have to deal with in the future.

Add a 5" CRT to your Vectrex!

"(1) Samtron 5" amber monitor ($16.00)

(1) Wyse 50,150, or 60 yoke

(needs to be rewound, but not to hard a task) $7.00 to $12.00 new

(2) LM1875 Audio amps. Maybe $2.00 each.

Misc caps, resistors and wire.

+/-12 power supply for the monitor and new deflection.

I etched a nice pcb for the new deflection circuit that really looks and

works nice. I would recommend this to keep noise in the circuit down.

I tried this monitor on my Space dual arcade PCB (real arcade board) and you

could play the game and tell what was going on, but the slew rate is not

there for the real arcade games. Everything was a bit curved and hard to

read. It works perfect for the vectrex though. I tried it with John

Dondzila's games and of coarse Minestorm, and in some ways it looks better

then the original monitor (because it was away from the sound amp and did

not get the distortion), but of coarse its smaller." - Fred, ed. BW

from the site http://www.playvectrex.com/vectech_f.htm

And maybe this site also has info on building a vector screen.

No original replacement screens yet found.

Edited by Seob

Try to find a company that services or distributes hospital equipment. X-Y monitors are still used to this day in some of their gear. Not sure about the size of the Vectrex, but I had good luck when I needed a 19" X-Y replacement for my Asteroids a few years back. I don't believe I have their contact info anymore though, but I should look. When I bought mine, the guy said he was down to about a dozen of 'em and that would be it - forever.

The Vectrix "tube" is just a typical standard monochrome Tube. To my understanding, it works the same way as any other tube, and is actually interchangable with most if not all B/W TV tubes, you could put a smaller or larger screen on the thing I suppose, if you wanted too.

• Like 1

The Vectrix "tube" is just a typical standard monochrome Tube. To my understanding, it works the same way as any other tube, and is actually interchangable with most if not all B/W TV tubes, you could put a smaller or larger screen on the thing I suppose, if you wanted too.

Hey buddy, hate to burst your bubble, but that's absolutely incorrect! :)

BIG difference between a Vector (commonly referred to as an X-Y monitor) and a regular Raster screen, which are what all other CRT's screens (televisions and monitors) are made up of. Not compatible in the slightest. Voltages, pinouts, logic, etc. In order to "slap" a raster CRT in a Vectrex, you'd need to modify circuitry as laid out on the page the OP listed. And even then, it'd be a crapshoot!

Edited by save2600
  • Like 3

Hey buddy, hate to burst your bubble, but that's absolutely incorrect! :)

BIG difference between a Vector (commonly referred to as an X-Y monitor) and a regular Raster screen, which are what all other CRT's screens (televisions and monitors) are made up of. Not compatible in the slightest. Voltages, pinouts, logic, etc. In order to "slap" a raster CRT in a Vectrex, you'd need to modify circuitry as laid out on the page the OP listed. And even then, it'd be a crapshoot!

He specifically said "tubes." You are right when talking about the monitor as a whole, but there are definitely tubes that will work for specific models of both raster and vector monitors. I have no idea what tubes swap in and out of a Vectrex, but I would not be surprised if someone figured out how to put a larger tube in there.

• Like 1

He specifically said "tubes." You are right when talking about the monitor as a whole, but there are definitely tubes that will work for specific models of both raster and vector monitors. I have no idea what tubes swap in and out of a Vectrex, but I would not be surprised if someone figured out how to put a larger tube in there.

You're right. Looking back, he even quoted the word "tubes". I should have known better what he meant. Sincere apologies to Video! I had jumped the gun (pun intended) and was thinking too linearly. Pluses for pointing that out! Still... adapters are required (if they exist in kit form, or make your own) for such an operation and good luck on the convergence aspect of it. I'd think it would be easier and probably cheaper, just to find another Vectrex than go through all of that experimentation. My $.02 anyway.

Edited by save2600

I have a Vectrex with no controllers.. I haven't found any controllers at all for the thing, so if you want it, shoot me a pm. The thing looks and runs fine as far as I can test.

You can hack a genesis controller to get it working on a vectrex. It's just a machine to great to never have played it.

Aren't the Vectrex controllers analog? Though I'm sure you could get a box like the thing to play digital on the 5200 or something, probably the same Idea, though there are some games I'm sure it wouldn't work with.

Yeah, I meant specifically the tube in an old TV, to my understanding, the color ones work differently and can't be moded for X,Y monitors, but I think there was a discussion a while back about using old B/W TV tubes as replacements for Vectrexes, though honestly, unless you leave it plugged in and on all the time, I imagine the tube will far outlast everything else in the case anyways. Many problems people have appear to be more a cap issue than a tube one.

I think I saw a place where you could order color vector monitors and older tube style video displays, I'll have to look it up and see (though it may be old and not anymore)

I have a Vectrex with no controllers.. I haven't found any controllers at all for the thing, so if you want it, shoot me a pm. The thing looks and runs fine as far as I can test.

You can hack a genesis controller to get it working on a vectrex. It's just a machine to great to never have played it.

I know, and thanks to Save2600, he sent me the long lost instructions I had to do the Genny controller mod. Now that I am basically out of projects that are within my price range/room, and now that I am confident onto soldering onto traces, now is the time to mod it. :)

Aren't the Vectrex controllers analog?

Yes, but wouldn't you know there's only a couple of games that take advantage of it? ALL the rest treat it as if it were a digital input. Go figure!

LOL I figured. Don't they got the starwars game (or a similar knockofff) on vectrex? I know that's one of the few 5200 games that need the analog on that system.)

LOL I figured. Don't they got the starwars game (or a similar knockofff) on vectrex? I know that's one of the few 5200 games that need the analog on that system.)

Starhawk for the Vectrex is reminiscent of the Death Star battle scene, where Luke has to torpedo the exhaust port. Can't remember if that uses analog controls though, but I doubt it does.

Star Hawk uses analog controls, but only in game mode 2. Game mode 1 is exactly the same, and with digital controls. The only other original release that uses analog control is Hyperchase, so that game would be unplayable as well. I have 2 digital controllers, one modified PS1 arcade stick and one SNES controller, that both work fine, but I have to pull out the ol' original to play Hyperchase, Star Hawk mode 2, or the homebrew game, Spike's Water Balloons (Analog), wich is basically a Kaboom clone.

And yeah...unfortunately eBay isn't the best place to pick up Vectrex hardware...thankfully I am in the retro gaming-rich Pacific Northwest, so I have been able to find some nice craigslist finds. With that kind of system you have to be very lucky, either with shipping or with finding things. Also, I saw like 4-5 for sale at the Portland Retro Gaming Expo that I don't think sold. Gaming conventions might be the way, or a good trade with a good AA member.

Edit: It would be VERY helpful if someone monitor-minded could solve our need for Vector monitors. The issue will only get worse in the future if we don't find a solution now (haha that sounds a little extreme, but it is true with a lot of older hardware).

Edited by Desfeek

Star Hawk uses analog controls, but only in game mode 2. Game mode 1 is exactly the same, and with digital controls. The only other original release that uses analog control is Hyperchase, so that game would be unplayable as well. I have 2 digital controllers, one modified PS1 arcade stick and one SNES controller, that both work fine, but I have to pull out the ol' original to play Hyperchase, Star Hawk mode 2, or the homebrew game, Spike's Water Balloons (Analog), wich is basically a Kaboom clone.

And yeah...unfortunately eBay isn't the best place to pick up Vectrex hardware...thankfully I am in the retro gaming-rich Pacific Northwest, so I have been able to find some nice craigslist finds. With that kind of system you have to be very lucky, either with shipping or with finding things. Also, I saw like 4-5 for sale at the Portland Retro Gaming Expo that I don't think sold. Gaming conventions might be the way, or a good trade with a good AA member.

Edit: It would be VERY helpful if someone monitor-minded could solve our need for Vector monitors. The issue will only get worse in the future if we don't find a solution now (haha that sounds a little extreme, but it is true with a lot of older hardware).

Maybe someday somebody will come up with a circuit that enables a lcd screen to be used on a vectrex.

They have already something to replace broken Wells-Gardner 6100 and Amplifone vector screens with a lcd screen, with use of a vector to vga module: http://www.vectorvga.com/

Edited by Seob

Maybe someday somebody will come up with a circuit that enables a lcd screen to be used on a vectrex.

They have already something to replace broken Wells-Gardner 6100 and Amplifone vector screens with a lcd screen, with use of a vector to vga module: http://www.vectorvga.com/

very cool!

That could be an options. I know Vector screens work different from other types, but many LCD's are high enough resolution, that with proper conversions, I bet you couldn't tell teh difference without closer inspection. (I swear some people get a magnifying glass after monitors to say "x is better than Y" cause most people wouldn't notice, or care)

Oh yeah, Wells Gardner, those people last I checked were making tubes (specifically for gaming, though it's been a couple of years, they may no longer make them either) Maybe I should look it up on google.

pedit] Well, looks like they make all LCD's now too, though they are still built as arcade monitors, and some of them claim to be compatible with some vector games even, so maybe they are already set up to convert vector to er...whatever the hell LCD would be considered :P [/edit]

Edited by Video