IGNORED

Spreading the Love with Free Games and More... Edicion Cinco

ApolloBoy

Finally got around to wiping the list on the first post as I was getting PMs for items on the list that weren't mine, and the list hadn't been updated since 2011. I'm too busy offline these days to maintain it, so if anyone wants to start a new thread and maintain it they can feel free to do so. I'm going to contact Al and ask him to unpin this once someone creates a new thread.

What does everyone feel about the possibility of creating a "Free Stuff" forum where people can start and maintain their own threads of items they are giving away? Would be a bit more organized than a large, gargantuan thread. I can create a pinned thread in the forum with the guidelines from the first post in this thread. Thoughts?

..Al

• Like 4

Sounds like a better idea probably.

Then people can just retitle them gone when they are. ;)

Current threads will naturally show up at the top of the forum, and older threads will scroll away. They could also be manually deleted by a moderator periodically to keep things tidy.

..Al

I can see both sides to this. I can see stuff being lost in pages and not being taken but It as well seems like it could be quite tedious to have to click 20 different threads to see what everyone is giving away.

I personally think the current set-up is fine. I mean I never even clicked on the first page personally. I just came along one day and viewed the last page and went from there. I figured there was no point in looking at something posted years ago.

• Like 2

What does everyone feel about the possibility of creating a "Free Stuff" forum where people can start and maintain their own threads of items they are giving away? Would be a bit more organized than a large, gargantuan thread. I can create a pinned thread in the forum with the guidelines from the first post in this thread. Thoughts?

..Al

Good idea. No way to subscribe though. Still, that should work just fine.

Good idea. No way to subscribe though. Still, that should work just fine.

You would be able to subscribe to the forum, and anytime someone starts a new thread, you'll get a notification. You could also subscribe to individual threads if someone is posting items you are interested in. You can setup "View New Content" to view new posts from specific forums (such as all the Marketplace forums), but that's a bit of work since you'd want to change it back to how you normally use "View New Content"..

Screen Shot 2018-08-11 at 11.03.06 PM.png

The new forum software we'll be running soon will let you create multiple filters for "View New Content", name them, and save them. You can then quickly choose exactly what you want to see. So you could setup "New Marketplace Posts" and just show posts from all the Marketplace forums. Or even a single forum such as "Free Games and More".

..Al

• Like 1

I kind of prefer the big garantuan thread, really- I don't often enough give things away to feel like maintaining a thread for it. Plus, most things are gone within a day or two, unlike sale threads- I feel like it'd just be a big forum of posts that say 'gone'.

Besides, there's nothing to stop people with larger amounts of stuff from making free threads in the market proper.

• Like 2

I dont know the permissions setup on this forum software but it might be possible to let users delete their topics in just that free thread

or just once a quarter or half year or so a mod go in and delete the gone thread's ... not like they take up a bunch of space outside of images

IMO its not that big of a deal, its not like the other subforums where information is good forever, its just like the marketplace

Edited by Osgeld

I dont know the permissions setup on this forum software but it might be possible to let users delete their topics in just that free thread

or just once a quarter or half year or so a mod go in and delete the gone thread's ... not like they take up a bunch of space outside of images

IMO its not that big of a deal, its not like the other subforums where information is good forever, its just like the marketplace

Unfortunately, permission to delete posts and/or topics belongs to the user group the user belongs to, and is not fine-grained enough where I can specify which forums users can delete posts in. It would have to be a moderator or admin to come through periodically and clean them up. Like you said, it's not that big of a deal, and the space they take is not an issue at all.

..Al

Got a few things that I want to get rid off for the price of shipping. My personal experience is that the CD jewel case probably won't survive so I'll be shipping them in 3mm DVD case instead. Some light scratches on the DC disc but they work and they're free...

Jagged Aliance is sealed but it's a french reissue.

post-45830-0-50005000-1534202196_thumb.jpeg

Edited by AMenard
  • Like 2