IGNORED

Project-M 2.0

NRV

Grr... you're going to force me to map the dungeon... for that you deserve coal in your stocking. I got $320 and the chalice, but so far I haven't found a way out. :x

Seriously, though, this is awesome. Very playable frame rate, too. There are two parts in the loader that hang on an NTSC machine, though -- after bypassing those, it runs fine in NTSC.

Seriously!!!

This is just out of this world great! On a 6502!!! I'm kind of showing this off to a few folks. Jaws dropping is about right!

Will it be possible to incorporate baddies??

showing off to people I guess some of us already did it with posting through Facebook the video... ;)

Grr... you're going to force me to map the dungeon... for that you deserve coal in your stocking. I got $320 and the chalice, but so far I haven't found a way out. :x

Seriously, though, this is awesome. Very playable frame rate, too. There are two parts in the loader that hang on an NTSC machine, though -- after bypassing those, it runs fine in NTSC.

It works using the APE loader. Might be a lomem issue with DOS?

Again, thanks :)

Hehe.. is very exciting for me to see videos from real Ataris, I don't have a working machine right now, thanks for them!. Also, is good to see that the NTSC version also looks good in real hardware.

There are some secrets and "surprises" yet in this demo :D. There is a teleporter to another level.. try to find it.

@ miker: Also good job with the music. And, about the in-game tune: Nice to hear a 15kHz mode tune which sounds good.

Yes, I used 3 songs from Miker. The one in the intro use 4 channels, but the other two can only use 3 channels!, so is a greater achievement :)

Can you guys imagine this in the late 80's?? PAL has nice artifacting done this way. Very, very cool.

I asked this once, but I'll ask again because I want to try the same artifacting on the Propeller...

How are the colors drawn? Is it just color on one line, intensity on the other static, or do they need to alternate somehow?

Yeah, I think the same. I should be playing this thing, not programming it :D

Seriously, I believe that there was a lot of potential in the idea of making cartridges with more memory (that run in all machines), like the NES "upgrade path", but sadly , it never happened.

About the PAL artifacting I have more questions than answers. I use it like that, a color pixel (with intensity 0), in a GTIA 11 line, gives its color to the pixel in the line below (a pixel with any intensity, but with color 0), in a GTIA 9 line.

I don't know if pixels of different colors also blend (and if the new "blended" color also affects the pixel below..). If that's the case then you can also generate new colors outside the normal palette (the Altirra implementation seems to do this).

Really wonderful... but maybe I'm color blind but the blue doors are not free? I need a key to them and I don't see any green doors. Ah.. I see now. .there are "dark" blue ones and light blue ones :)

haha sorry, my description was based in the standard palette for PAL in Altirra, please adjust your emulator or TV set :D

That's the idea, for PM 3.0 :)

About the engine, right now is running in 64K and I have like 10K free, more or less. I could probably free another 4K or 6K, with compression and removing some things (I'm still using a double buffer of 4K each).That would come in handy when trying to add enemies and real sprites. I was looking at the SNES version of wolf3d the other day, and they seem to have a lower texture detail, so maybe I will try to reduce vertical resolution in half, freeing another 4K.

Right now I will try to add enemies using Player/Missiles (instead of precompiled software sprites, like in PM 1.0) and see what I get, but I'm confident that I will get it one way or another.

hehe sorry, wasn't my intention.. if you get the key in the first secret area, after that you only need to avoid areas with green doors that doesn't give you a key in return.. with that you should be able to get to the end of the level :)

When you say "hang" are you talking about a real machine? remember that the PAL version only runs in PAL and the same for the NTSC version. If not tell me if is something I need to fix :)

Regards!

(just noticed this comment from PotatoHead:

"I only have 800XL... stuff like this makes me want a full real machine setup. One day soon, I guess!"

and from another forum, some people seems to think that it requires more than 64K.. it's not the case, just try it in a normal 800XL :D)

(@Jacques: I know, but I still want to do the best I can with 64K first :))

Edited by NRV
  • Like 1

When you say "hang" are you talking about a real machine? remember that the PAL version only runs in PAL and the same for the NTSC version. If not tell me if is something I need to fix

Heh... that's what I get for running the .zip without even looking at what's in it. Works fine if I actually run the NTSC version.

My 800XL shows the screen just fine, but my 130XE shows one color clock of artifacts on the right side... until it warms up. I've been able to flip this kind of behavior back before by cooling down the motherboard, but either it's too warm in here right now or I need a new can of compressed air.

My 800XL shows the screen just fine, but my 130XE shows one color clock of artifacts on the right side... until it warms up. I've been able to flip this kind of behavior back before by cooling down the motherboard, but either it's too warm in here right now or I need a new can of compressed air.

haha I'm looking at Altirra 1.9 with a "motherboard temperature" option.. :D

• Like 1

Nice!!! I gotta get APE setup. Way cool!

For some reason, I thought it was 320K or something. The fact that it runs on a ordinary 800XL is even more bad ass!!

Again, thanks :)

Hehe.. is very exciting for me to see videos from real Ataris, I don't have a working machine right now, thanks for them!. Also, is good to see that the NTSC version also looks good in real hardware.

There are some secrets and "surprises" yet in this demo :D. There is a teleporter to another level.. try to find it.

@ miker: Also good job with the music. And, about the in-game tune: Nice to hear a 15kHz mode tune which sounds good.

Yes, I used 3 songs from Miker. The one in the intro use 4 channels, but the other two can only use 3 channels!, so is a greater achievement :)

Can you guys imagine this in the late 80's?? PAL has nice artifacting done this way. Very, very cool.

I asked this once, but I'll ask again because I want to try the same artifacting on the Propeller...

How are the colors drawn? Is it just color on one line, intensity on the other static, or do they need to alternate somehow?

Yeah, I think the same. I should be playing this thing, not programming it :D

Seriously, I believe that there was a lot of potential in the idea of making cartridges with more memory (that run in all machines), like the NES "upgrade path", but sadly , it never happened.

About the PAL artifacting I have more questions than answers. I use it like that, a color pixel (with intensity 0), in a GTIA 11 line, gives its color to the pixel in the line below (a pixel with any intensity, but with color 0), in a GTIA 9 line.

I don't know if pixels of different colors also blend (and if the new "blended" color also affects the pixel below..). If that's the case then you can also generate new colors outside the normal palette (the Altirra implementation seems to do this).

Really wonderful... but maybe I'm color blind but the blue doors are not free? I need a key to them and I don't see any green doors. Ah.. I see now. .there are "dark" blue ones and light blue ones :)

haha sorry, my description was based in the standard palette for PAL in Altirra, please adjust your emulator or TV set :D

That's the idea, for PM 3.0 :)

About the engine, right now is running in 64K and I have like 10K free, more or less. I could probably free another 4K or 6K, with compression and removing some things (I'm still using a double buffer of 4K each).That would come in handy when trying to add enemies and real sprites. I was looking at the SNES version of wolf3d the other day, and they seem to have a lower texture detail, so maybe I will try to reduce vertical resolution in half, freeing another 4K.

Right now I will try to add enemies using Player/Missiles (instead of precompiled software sprites, like in PM 1.0) and see what I get, but I'm confident that I will get it one way or another.

hehe sorry, wasn't my intention.. if you get the key in the first secret area, after that you only need to avoid areas with green doors that doesn't give you a key in return.. with that you should be able to get to the end of the level :)

When you say "hang" are you talking about a real machine? remember that the PAL version only runs in PAL and the same for the NTSC version. If not tell me if is something I need to fix :)

Regards!

(just noticed this comment from PotatoHead:

"I only have 800XL... stuff like this makes me want a full real machine setup. One day soon, I guess!"

and from another forum, some people seems to think that it requires more than 64K.. it's not the case, just try it in a normal 800XL :D)

(@Jacques: I know, but I still want to do the best I can with 64K first :))

oh... it is 64k? I can add my RPG battle engine from Beyond Evil and we have 3d Diablo-like RPG. :)

The version without intro only needs 44kB. I suppose it is a non-crunched file.

(EDIT: After still thinking)

However, I also suppose the free 18kB is needed for unpacking unrolled routines & other workspace, gfx memory etc?

But, still a good job. Maybe a final version could run on 130XE or from cartridge! It would of course be cool if it would run on the 800XL.

Edited by analmux

oh... it is 64k? I can add my RPG battle engine from Beyond Evil and we have 3d Diablo-like RPG. :)

The version without intro only needs 44kB. I suppose it is a non-crunched file.

(EDIT: After still thinking)

However, I also suppose the free 18kB is needed for unpacking unrolled routines & other workspace, gfx memory etc?

But, still a good job. Maybe a final version could run on 130XE or from cartridge!

3d hack and slay... :)