IGNORED

Project-M 2.0

NRV

Now that the idea that NRV is using these images because they are readily available for conversion and inspiration, not that he's necessarily going for a conversion of Wolfy is starting to sink in, I wonder what themes does he have in mind? More of a fantasy, a game similar to wolf technically, but in a different setting? His engine can obviously do outside areas, so maybe several smaller buildings? Small towns? ;)...

:roll:

Fountains, C= symmbols :D on the Walls instead of Nazi symbols...

A FarmVille :P (we could Plant something instead of shoot/killing others and more Nature :P )

:thumbsup:

José Pereira.

A FarmVille :P (we could Plant something instead of shoot/killing others and more Nature :P )

I like that one! :P

Well, this engine is not that good for open spaces, the raycast cost starts being too high. Also with this resolution you don't see much detail if you are far away from a wall, so the "wolf3d" or dungeon/fantasy settings are the best suited right now (maybe robots or more "abstract" enemies.. the classic space station..).

From a gameplay point of view I like having enemies, weapons and items to get, but I also like the idea of puzzles and other type of "special items".. (a "portal" like game?, magic?, switches and traps?, mazes that change shape while you are watching?.. I almost did that). But is just too soon to decide.

Maybe with a more advanced engine, in the future, "someone" other than me could start making another type of game :D

Regards.

• Like 2

I would go for Action RPG... would be easy. as my engine is separate from the gfx. so actually my code can generate around >16384 random weapon/armor and the Diablo adapted formulars are implemented for battle. So these can be added really easy.

how much RAM is left for code and enemie gfx?

Hi, me again... and no joking this time!

This was done with Wolfenstein in Mind (and the already done Scrolling Intro, Walls, Doors,...)

I think NRV simply can get other Walls of the other Levels...

Probably add a Weapon on the bottom and an Enemy as PMs. and we would have a Wolfenstein.

Aren't we turning things a little bit harder, probably...

If he suceed with an Wolfenstein clone, then maybe others (or him) change the Gfxs. to other Games...

Isn't better this way?

(NRV finish this first, but then think in that Image Up/Down push/Scroll and we could get an A8 LaraCroft :D )

Greets.

José Pereira.

Right now, just 10K.. but there are ways to free some memory.

I'd also vote for Wolfenstein conversion or Wolfenstein-like game.. If there's any room for voting :D

Nop, but maybe you can influence the programmer if you try long enough :P.

• Like 2

Yeah, and please forget to use PMs for the "enemies". It may look very crappy, to have some 3 colour elements over the 256 colour screen ;)

It could be neat to have some "details" due to the higher resolution. Even better was some text over the 3D screen for some informations.

The enemies should be build the same way as the walls, so they fit to the graphics at all.

And, if someone may decide to use gr. 9 (fullscreen) with missile overlay (not APAC ) ... we could have some "Portal" game.... and have some "nightvision and/or infrared" glasses visuable....

Using the A8 to it's real limits.

Imagine an invisible enemy, you only see when using infrared (gr.11) ....

It could all be built using this engine.

Right now, just 10K.. but there are ways to free some memory.

I'd also vote for Wolfenstein conversion or Wolfenstein-like game.. If there's any room for voting icon_mrgreen.gif

Nop, but maybe you can influence the programmer if you try long enough icon_razz.gif.

A Wolfenstein game, showing always only one enemy, would be even more than the whole world may expect ;)

The real experience then, would be to create the needed FX via POKEY programming ;)

An idea to save memory:

How about a game where the enemies were just built upon embossed graphics (in gr. 9). You know, they wear invisible making equipment ;)

Still, to see their shapes, switching to gr. 11 and using the colours for an infrared screen....

Because, the walls are cold, there is no real need to animate/move walls", many objects could be built by one colour and everything makes sense to the player...

Only when they die, you see the invisibility disappear ;) and a short animation.

A mixture of "Doom 3" and "Alien vs. Predator" could be possible. The only missing link was a fast/playable wall rendering engine, which is available now.

just need to unite the greats minds and develop a cartridge coprocessor with Multicolor 3D engine, which is connected to a section of memory reserved exclusively for the screen. Then A8 just calculate the points and the cartridge is responsible for drawing and storing textures. Without weld a VBXE to the motherboard, is a cartridge with the engine and the games are loaded from floppy. Of course a friendly software to develop games on a computer(GNU linux & win). (just a dream):lust:

It sold as many cartridges in the world A8!

Nop, but maybe you can influence the programmer if you try long enough :P.

I also believe making a real Wolfenstein 3D port would be the best course of action. Here are my reasons:

• Name recognition. "8-bit Atari Gets Wolf3D Port" would be news on most gaming sites on the planet. "8-bit Atari Gets Game with Impressive Raycast Engine"... would not.
  • Game design is, in its own way, even harder than engine design. The demo scene is littered with impressive engines that never turned into anything playable. By porting Wolf3D, you can take advantage of an already-existing, much-loved, proven game design.
  • Creating professional-quality graphics is another thing that kills a lot of independent game projects. By porting Wolf3D, you basically have all the game graphics already created for you.
  • When rendering graphics at low resolution, it's very important that the graphics be easily recognizable. Porting Wolf3D grants you a huge advantage here, because most people playing it will have already played other versions, thus making it much easier for them to "see" what the textures are supposed to represent.
  • It would be a shame to waste the amazing POKEY versions of the Wolf3D MIDI tunes.
  • The guys at id would probably love it. Remember, they did the Jaguar port of Wolf3D.
  • If you still want to do an original game using this engine, doing Wolf3D first would allow you to concentrate on refining the engine, figuring out its capabilities and limitations, etc. Then for your original game you'd be free to concentrate on game design.

That being said, I'd kill to see a version of this running with some AvP wall textures. :ponder:

• Like 2

They are all good points.. nothing to say about that.

Probably the first "game" version will use the assets that are already there (graphics and music), but I still don't know how many enemies (or objects) can I have on screen at the same time (infinite, I know, but I'm talking about playability :D). Also I'm not interested in replicating the same map layouts (there are a lot by the way), so it will never be a "real" port anyway.

As a Wolf3d fanatic myself I'm more interested in having something "new" to play, and I like designing maps and secrets. Also I could have some random elements in the maps, for re-playability.

Well, there are a lot of versions, variations and expansions (fan made) of the original Wolf3d and its engine, this could be something like that.

• Like 1

They are all good points.. nothing to say about that.

Probably the first "game" version will use the assets that are already there (graphics and music), but I still don't know how many enemies (or objects) can I have on screen at the same time (infinite, I know, but I'm talking about playability :D). Also I'm not interested in replicating the same map layouts (there are a lot by the way), so it will never be a "real" port anyway.

As a Wolf3d fanatic myself I'm more interested in having something "new" to play, and I like designing maps and secrets. Also I could have some random elements in the maps, for re-playability.

Well, there are a lot of versions, variations and expansions (fan made) of the original Wolf3d and its engine, this could be something like that.

A possible solution would be to recreate the first level of Wolf3D. that would be enough for the "Wolf3D-port for A8 effect".

After reaching the lift, it can take the player to any location YOU like to design/create.

Further, if your engine can handle maps, the smallest problem would be to find people on AA to recreate the original Wolf maps.

I can fell your lust for "your own game". I have a nice game in my mind which I want to design (BTW, it will have random levels as well), but I am still stuck with coding the engine. But all the time these thoughts of things I want to have in that game... :)