IGNORED

a few questions before pulling the trigger on a 60gb PS3

bones

Think I'm finally ready to pull the trigger and purchase a 60gb original PS3 system - the lure of fully backwards PS2 compatibility is too much to pass up. A friend mentioned that this model won't play certain PS3 games because of required firmware updates or something along those lines. I searched online for more on this issue, but couldn't find anything on it. Is there a list of PS3 games that won't play on the original 60gb model? Any other considerations worth mentioning about this particular model? Not looking to hack it or anything fancy, just want to play PS2 and PS3 games and watch the occasional Blu-Ray.

Thanks for any suggestions or links!

awesome, thanks for the tips all, this is very helpful. He's a bit of a hacker on things, so guessing he did something to the system and had problems applying (or couldn't apply) the latest firmware. I'm no hacker, so doesn't seem to be an issue. Now to check out the various channels available to getting one of these consoles. :)

Thanks!

Of course my brain comes up with other questions on this after the fact. Any issues with buying used as far accessing the Playstation Network? I'd like to be able to create my own PSN profile and access that in all the normal ways available as when a new console is purchased. About upgrading the hard drive - can that be done later, or best done before powering on a new in box system? I suppose could always add an external hard drive at any point tho that isn't as elegant of a solution.

Of course my brain comes up with other questions on this after the fact. Any issues with buying used as far accessing the Playstation Network? I'd like to be able to create my own PSN profile and access that in all the normal ways available as when a new console is purchased. About upgrading the hard drive - can that be done later, or best done before powering on a new in box system? I suppose could always add an external hard drive at any point tho that isn't as elegant of a solution.

You shouldnt have an issue creating your own account and then deleting any accounts that are on the unit already. I would probably format the drive first (its under settings somewhere). Then when it restarts you can create a new account and then login to PSN store. Its easy, you'll see.

If you get a new drive first it may save you a little time later. (In terms of backing up all your stuff. Also see the thread about protected save files)

So again, it could save you headaches if you just do it now before you even turn it on.

If you get the drive first just do this (quick info see the link below for details):

- Download the latest PS3 firmware update and stick it on a usb stick or update the PS3 to the latest firmware by turning it on and doing the update through the internet. Get it here.

- Pop open the small lid on the left side of the PS3 and pull the harddrive out and swap it out. (Unscrew and slide\pull drive out)

- Once the new drive is in turn on the PS3. It may ask you for the firmware update. Plug in the USB stick and it will update. Then it will format the drive.

Done.

Detaled info with pics are here

Cimerians this is perfect info for my aging brain, thanks for putting that detail together! My video game tech expertise is stuck between the 2600 and NES most days, so small words and links does the trick nicely. ;) Ran across a 640gb hard drive on Amazon for $50 shipped here, does this look PS3 friendly? It's sata 5400, 2.5" laptop size, passes the sniff test from what I can tell. Thanks again, looking forward to getting this together!

Edited by bones

Cimerians this is perfect info for my aging brain, thanks for putting that detail together! My video game tech expertise is stuck between the 2600 and NES most days, so small words and links does the trick nicely. ;) Ran across a 640gb hard drive on Amazon for $50 shipped here, does this look PS3 friendly? It's sata 5400, 2.5" laptop size, passes the sniff test from what I can tell. Thanks again, looking forward to getting this together!

Yup that looks good. Like it I said it's easy, basically pop the lid off and put the new drive in and it does the rest.

This is the one I got:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002QAXZZY/ref=oss_product

No big deal, as long as its a 2.5 inch sata notebook drive. The one your getting is totally fine.

A friend mentioned that this model won't play certain PS3 games because of required firmware updates or something along those lines. I searched online for more on this issue, but couldn't find anything on it.

You couldn't find anything on it because these problems don't exist. I own a 60GB console myself, and I've had no such problems.

One potential performance issue is with the older 60GB hard drives. I remember reading something about them and Gran Turismo 5 and how they take longer to load due to lessened caching ability. I can personally attest to the fact that no playability issues arise from it, but you may want to upgrade the hard drive. Or you might want to skip on it like me.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks again for the feedback everyone, this is really helpful. Bit of an update, a day after posting I was surfing around eBay looking for a decent original system, and randomly found one listed...from a pawn shop 10 minutes from my house! Went over there the next morning to check it out, nice shape, complete in box, was able to test it out there and everything worked nicely. Paid $300 which seemed fair for this model. Have watched a Blu-Ray movie and putzed around with a few demo games that were on the hard drive, but haven't done much else yet.

The replacement hard drive for this _finally_ came in today, so will be trying out those steps you linked to Cimerians pretty soon...will post when surgery is complete!

Thanks again for the feedback everyone, this is really helpful. Bit of an update, a day after posting I was surfing around eBay looking for a decent original system, and randomly found one listed...from a pawn shop 10 minutes from my house! Went over there the next morning to check it out, nice shape, complete in box, was able to test it out there and everything worked nicely. Paid $300 which seemed fair for this model. Have watched a Blu-Ray movie and putzed around with a few demo games that were on the hard drive, but haven't done much else yet.

The replacement hard drive for this _finally_ came in today, so will be trying out those steps you linked to Cimerians pretty soon...will post when surgery is complete!

Ha...cool. Have fun, your wont ever have to worry about space. Just dump all your stuff on it and demo away.........

One minor, nit-picky complaint about the 60Gb model - if you own/like the old PS1 Game "Return Fire" - it doesn't work at least this model PS3. I don't have another one to test it. This is because the lack of the old PS2 option for "fast Disc Speed".

thankfully I still have my PS2 working so I can still play it on occasion.

Surgery complete, was downright easy to be honest, and system now has a new 640gb hard drive, so won't run out of space any time soon. So far have set up a PSN account and downloaded the Netflix streaming app, very nice interface. Now to surf around the store and download a few game demos!

Kewl.

Netfkix is great, thankfully there are tons of demos these days. A year back it was awful. Honestly though there should be a demo for every downloadable game released online like on the 360. They just should make it a requirement for the developer.

Netflix streaming=win, older is ok, and nice interface. So far watched an MST3K from 1992. No kidding on demos, the last 2 days have been download central, the PS3 purchase seems to be timed nicely. There must be 50 of them on the hard drive now. The first thing the wife wanted to try out was Worms 2, she remembers the Jaguar version, go figure :)