IGNORED

Gawd, I want Uncharted 3 NOW!

Mendon

When I watch those videos it just looks like a game I've already played twice. I'll probably get it once it hits $30.

True that the gameplay is the same, as in the engine being the same. But the stories are different, and they do a fair job of keeping you connected to the game. This is one of the few series of the genre I really enjoy playing.

I just finished Uncharted 2 over Christmas break and the first one a week prior to that. I have to say these 2 games left me wanting more and would definitely recommend them to anyone that has a PS3. I can't wait till 3 comes out. Are there anymore games similar to the Uncharted style of game play?

When I watch those videos it just looks like a game I've already played twice. I'll probably get it once it hits $30.

I believe I know what you are saying, but your assessment could also be applied to almost any series: I've killed grunts & jackals galore in every Halo game; I've killed Nazi's and terrorists in every Call of Duty game; I've eaten so many dot's in Pac-man, Ms. Pac-man, Super Pac-Man, etc that I need Weight Watchers; I've broken so many jaw's and shattered so many spines in every Street Fighter and vs. Capcom game that I have callus's on my knuckles; I've matched 3 of a kind in so many Bejeweled & Columns & Puzzle Quest games that my head spins; I've had pedal to the metal on so many race tracks and thrown so many touchdowns that my house can no longer hold all the trophy's I've won; and on and on.

Naughty Dog has created a world and personalities that I care about and in gaming, that doesn't happen often. They gave Nate, Sully, and Elena intricate personalities that grow and change as time moves. I want to see what mystery unfolds before them next and which direction they will take. I laugh at their jokes, sweat with every jump attempted and bullet dodged, and wonder if Nate will ever settle down in that split level ranch with "Girl Next Door" Elena or will priceless treasures and sexy Chole's continue to draw him to adventure.

I may have played Uncharted 1 and Uncharted 2, but Uncharted 3 is coming and I can't wait.

Mendon

Edited by Mendon
  • Like 1

I guess I’ll poke my head in here as the token voice of dissent.

I borrowed a copy of Uncharted 2 from a friend of mine several months ago and I just can’t bring myself to finish it. As in, I have no desire to play it anymore, even though I’m probably 85% of the way through it.

I haven’t played the original in the series, but if #2 is supposed to be better then I guess my comments still apply. Personally, I just don’t understand the allure of these games. Sure, they look amazing, but I find the gameplay extremely shallow. The game developers do a great job of employing dazzling audiovisuals to make you feel like so much is happening around you in this interactive world but really you’re just riding rails on a tightly predetermined path. In a lot of ways, I find the gameplay more linear than some 2D platformers of days gone by.

I don’t see how these games require any skill whatsoever; anybody with a little bit of patience and an internet connection will “beat” the game eventually. IMO, in order for something to be a real “game”, there needs to be some way of “measuring” your performance so you can come back again and again to try to top yourself. Finding “hidden treasures” and getting “trophies” is something, but boring as hell.

I know Uncharted is sort of marketed as a franchise that attempts to blur the lines between movie and video game, and in doing so, they are almost creating a whole new “category” of product, so I’ll concede that maybe I’m just missing the point.

I believe I know what you are saying, but your assessment could also be applied to almost any series: I've killed grunts & jackals galore in every Halo game; I've killed Nazi's and terrorists in every Call of Duty game; I've eaten so many dot's in Pac-man, Ms. Pac-man, Super Pac-Man, etc that I need Weight Watchers; I've broken so many jaw's and shattered so many spines in every Street Fighter and vs. Capcom game that I have callus's on my knuckles; I've matched 3 of a kind in so many Bejeweled & Columns & Puzzle Quest games that my head spins; I've had pedal to the metal on so many race tracks and thrown so many touchdowns that my house can no longer hold all the trophy's I've won; and on and on.

Naughty Dog has created a world and personalities that I care about and in gaming, that doesn't happen often. They gave Nate, Sully, and Elena intricate personalities that grow and change as time moves. I want to see what mystery unfolds before them next and which direction they will take. I laugh at their jokes, sweat with every jump attempted and bullet dodged, and wonder if Nate will ever settle down in that split level ranch with "Girl Next Door" Elena or will priceless treasures and sexy Chole's continue to draw him to adventure.

I may have played Uncharted 1 and Uncharted 2, but Uncharted 3 is coming and I can't wait.

Mendon

I agree. Same can be said with God of War, Oblivion and any other series. You also can get a reverse argument....why did they change what was good? "I want it like the old games."

I cant wait for the 3rd Uncharted. Its going to be a great year with Dragon Age II, Elder Scrolls 5 etc and hopefully someday Thief!

Sure, they look amazing, but I find the gameplay extremely shallow. The game developers do a great job of employing dazzling audiovisuals to make you feel like so much is happening around you in this interactive world but really you're just riding rails on a tightly predetermined path. In a lot of ways, I find the gameplay more linear than some 2D platformers of days gone by.

I don't see how these games require any skill whatsoever; anybody with a little bit of patience and an internet connection will "beat" the game eventually. IMO, in order for something to be a real "game", there needs to be some way of "measuring" your performance so you can come back again and again to try to top yourself. Finding "hidden treasures" and getting "trophies" is something, but boring as hell.

This is really my only complaint, that it's a bit linear. So there's not much chance for exploration. Would be nice if it was more open.

Then again, I also have FarCry 2, which is open world, and I have a problem getting into the game. The story doesn't grab me. I'd bought it thinking it would be similar to the original FarCry, but I was wrong.

I know Uncharted is sort of marketed as a franchise that attempts to blur the lines between movie and video game, and in doing so, they are almost creating a whole new "category" of product, so I'll concede that maybe I'm just missing the point.

Yes, it is almost like watching a movie. It has a great number of cutscenes, almost too many. But ovarall they've been done well, and they really pull me into the game, rather than making me feel like I'm being dragged along by my toenails. They did a great job of "blurring".

Better a good linear play, then a open world game where you get lost in. Like Mafia 2, it sounded like a great game, but it wasn't finished, way to short and ended to open ended. And why have the option of an open world, when there is nothing to do in that open world, but driving around?

Nha, i rather have a good build linear game then that.