IGNORED

How should we progress with the Jaguar High Score Club?

Austin

Well guys, it looks like it's nearing the six-month mark since I've taken over the Jaguar High Score Club! Admittedly, I haven't put a whole lot of thought into how long this current "season" should run or how (or when) it should end. My thinking right now is that the sixth-month mark might be an appropriate point to end the current run and start anew (the end of Round 12). With that, I am curious to see how you feel we should progress with the Jaguar High Score Club and I would like to hear your thoughts on how this last "season" has been. Was it a good experience or was it a lackluster one? Was it an improvement over past Jaguar HSC seasons? What could be changed or improved to make it better? Here is an idea one of the players here has given me as a possible way to progress: Make a plan for the next several months with games pre-selected for each bi-weekly event (much like Nascar or Formula 1). Do you like or dislike this idea? What other ideas do you have as a way to progress? I'd like to hear your thoughts!

Personally I have really enjoyed playing the last 6 months. I had never contributed to a HSC before so it was a new experience too. I don't think anything needs changing, its great the way it is.

I agree with this. Although I hadn't participated prior to this round and was only able to participate in one game I thought the layout was fine.

• Like 1

Well, how about a tournament style bracket?

Where groups of two are given a certain game to play that they both have. The higher scorer goes on to the next match up- and so on.

Picture an individual as his/her own team.

I like this idea.

I didn't participate in this season but I plan to for the next one.

• Like 1

Personally I have really enjoyed playing the last 6 months. I had never contributed to a HSC before so it was a new experience too. I don't think anything needs changing, its great the way it is.

I agree, I've never played the Jaguar HSC club before and I've played every game this season... Keep it the way it is.

• Like 1

Thanks for the responses so far everyone. It looks like there is a 50/50 mixture of outlooks so far. :thumbsup:

To the one half, the tournament-bracket style sounds like a fun idea. Admittedly though I would be a little worried about various issues that could arise during the process. What would happen if someone doesn't have a game for a particular round, or if someone bails out halfway through the tournament? I am curious to hear more as to how you guys think we could potentially set this up.

To the other half, I feel the current format works, but I think it could work better. Some games pull more people in and are better-received than others (for instance, Tempest 2000). In other rounds, I get the idea that it's like Chinese water torture trying to play some of these games (example: Dragon the Bruce Lee Story). I suppose this is where I feel that maybe playing the same games each season (with minor alterations to things such as difficulty modes, more lives, or different modes altogether in the case of T2K) would keep things fun and competitive. I mean, a part of doing this is to have fun playing the games, but when a majority of the games just simply aren't very good, I think people lose interest. Or at least enough to where there's no motivation to put forth any serious effort to score well.

Anyways, I'm still curious as to what others think (I know there is quite a few of you that have not chimed in yet!). :)

I haven't participated before this season either. I rather like the idea of the 'season' being preset - knowing beforehand what the 12 games are going to be. Maybe you could add a bonus round in the middle (like the halloween one?)sort of like a mid season break? Or to try & tempt others into playing?

If you select the season, you can at least have a play around with the games & decide the best option for that game. Also, if we all know beforehand, it gives those that don't have copies a chance to get one?

Overall though I am glad that I have participated, if only to (re)discover my Jag collection. At least now I know why I never bothered with Dragon! :rolling:

Edited by Gaztee
  • Like 1

I like the current format too, and Austin's doing a great job keeping it all running smoothly. Thanks!

I've played a few random rounds of previous HSCs, but this is the first time I've stuck around to play most rounds of a 'season'. Surprising that a Jaguar subforum on AA has made it almost 6 months with so little drama. :) HSC is a nice motivation to spend a little time playing Jaguar... even if I only bothered with one or two attempts at the crappy games.

A couple suggestions though:

Why are the rounds scored with an 11 point max instead of 10? Have there ever been more than 10 participants in a round? It seems like 10 points for 1st place would be enough to ensure everyone gets some points for 'showing up'.

I think the biggest problem with the season format is when people have to sit out for two weeks because they don't have the current game. Sometimes they don't come back... Maybe limiting the vote options to games that work properly via emulation would help? Or, maybe offer the option to play the vote's runner-up game for reduced points? ie For people who don't have the current game, you can play the runner-up game for the 'unused' round points. The scores on the runner-up game earn standings points starting below the lowest scoring player of the round's main game? Just a suggestion to keep people from drifiting away.

Otherwise, it's all good and I'll stick around for the next season.

• Like 1