IGNORED

Questions about 360 Shmups...

Crazy Climber

Hello

While randomly surfing Ebay for a cheap Deathsmiles I noticed a bunch of Shoot-em-ups I have never heard of. Some of them look freakin sweet! There was a Black Label game from CAVE games and some other weird ones (can't remember the Japanese names they had) I searched youtube and found some gameplay vids and I totally want these. Here's my questions...

- Is there a complete list of US released 2D arcade style (disc release) shoot-em-ups? The only ones I can think of are the Raidens and Deathsmiles.

- Is there a complete list of JAPAN ONLY released shoot-em-ups (disc release) anywhere?

- Some of the Ebay auctions for the cool Japan shooters I found said the discs were region free, I didn't think I could play Japan 360 games in a US system, was I wrong?

- If the games are not region free is there a way I can play the Japan shooters in a US 360 without possibly damaging it, something like a freeloader disc/etc..

Any info would be awesome, I would love to buy some of these but if I can't play them, whats the point, right? Thanks! :)

Your best bet is looking over at the shmup.com forums. I think they have a thread with all the 360 shmup releases, along with the regions and what's locked and what's not. I know there is a region-free version of Espgaluda II as well as Mushihimesama Futari, both excellent shmups by Cave. I am sure there are a few other region-free ones, but I can't tell you off the top of my head.

Not sure if there is any way to play import games on your US 360. I know a few friends of mine have import systems for that purpose.

As far as disc-only releases in the US, I think it's narrowed down to just Raiden IV, Raiden Fighters Aces, and Deathsmiles. There's another one, Wartech (Senko No Ronde in Japan), which is a one-on-one shmup/fighting game hybrid. Sort of like a classic shmup meets Psychic Force meets Virtual On. Sort of hard to explain, but if you like shmups, I recommend you try it (you can probably get it for about $5).

Working from memory here, so please forgive any mistakes (especially on spelling).

Mushihimesame Futari and Espgaluda 2 Standard Edition (but not the limited edition) are region free and will work in a US console just fine.

Raiden IV, Raiden Fighters Aces, and Deathsmiles have had domestic releases, but the Deathsmiles release is a bit unpopular due to removing the normal lag from the game. Made it much more difficult than the JPN release.

The other disk releases that are JPN only are Deathsmiles 2X, Dodonpachi Daifukatsu, Dodonpachi Daioujou (apparently pretty buggy, but plays fine for me), Shikigami No Shiro III (released on Wii in the US), Otomedius Gorgeous (different from the Otomedius slated to be released here), Shooting Love 200X, Ketsui Kizuna Jigoku Tachi, Radirgy Massive Noah, Mamoru-kun wa Norowarete Shimatta, and Strike Witches: Shirogane no Tsubasa (kinda sucks).

Coming soon is Muchi Muchi Pork/Pink Sweets which is *supposed* to be region free. Unfortunately, I don't think there is a way to play the region locked games, though I have heard that a jtag xbox can. I imported a system from Play-Asia some time ago to play all of these as well as Tetris Grand Master Ace. Well worth the effort!

Yes, a JTagged X360 can play region locked stuff, but they're a pain to find, due to the fact you have to have an xbox with a certain dashboard which is over a year ago.

I debated about buying a JP X360 just to play Ketsui. :)

I didn't know that the US version of Deathsmiles removed lag... that's rather interesting, and I'm wondering why they did it.

If Muchi Muchi Pork is NOT region free, I'm buying a JP X360.

I didn't know that the US version of Deathsmiles removed lag... that's rather interesting, and I'm wondering why they did it.

Speculation is that there was fear that American gamers would see the lag as an issue with the game rather than something done intentionally to make it more playable. I'm not good enough at it to really tell as difference, but a lot of folks on the shmups forum are hoping the upcoming patch for the US release "fixes" the lag issue. There are some interesting videos out there that show the 2 versions side by side and watching like that, the difference is noticeable.

Either way, I've really been enjoying all of the JPN released shmups and have gotten into the bad habit of picking all of them up. With the new 360s being so much more stable, I wouldn't hesitate to pick one up. Lots of gaming goodness to be had!

• 1 month later...

Just got my hands on the retail release of Dodonpachi Daifukkatsu Black Label. Haven't had a chance to try it out, but it apparently has a mode that's a mix of Dodonpachi and Ketsui. Should be interesting.

It's not region free, but it is one more in an already amazing library of shmups!

Yep, Ketsui's ships are in the game, the scoring system and all is in tact.

I really can't wait for Muchi Muchi Pork, I've been looking forward to playing that game since they announced it. I really am buying a JP 360 if its not region free.

I really can't wait for Muchi Muchi Pork, I've been looking forward to playing that game since they announced it. I really am buying a JP 360 if its not region free.

Are there any other games that are like MMP? I have never had a chance to play it, so I'm really curious about it.

Not really, usually they're their own special charm. Ibara is about grinding against bullets, Mushi known for its difficult bosses, DDP known for their super hard stages. If anything its close to Ketsui.

Region free confirmed, and it releases in 5 days!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Bumping this one back up with an update. I just got a copy of Bullet Soul and can confirm it is region free. Fun game, very pretty. Not a lot of depth, but I think that's refreshing to me since I never seem to do well playing for score.

Nothing wrong with a game purely for survival. :)

I'll have to pick up a copy also.

Nothing wrong with a game purely for survival. :)

I'll have to pick up a copy also.

Agreed! It's a refreshing change of pace!

I finally got my copy of Eschatos. This is another region free one and well worth picking up. It includes the title game as well as 2 Wonderwitch games, Judgement Silversword and Cardinal Sin. All 3 play very similarly and all 3 are a load of fun! I'm especially enjoying being able to play Judgement Silversword on a big screen with good controls finally. It's a much better game that way and it was brilliant on the Wonderswan to begin with.

Well worth picking up and I've even recommend it over Bullet Soul!

I just noticed that Japanvideogames.com imports Japanese shmups so I ordered Mushihimesama Futari Ver 1.5 from them.

You won't be disappointed.

Also, don't forget to buy the Black Label DLC available on xbox live. I like it better than the original Mushi Futari...

And last but not least, go on the leaderboards and try to beat my score. :)

Anyone check out the Games marketplace today?

Looks like a new Shmup is available for 800 points.

Trouble Witches....

http://xbox360.ign.c...090/090144.html

It feels like a cheesy Deathsmile rip off.

Maybe its just me but the voices are horrid!:?

Worse than old TG16 CD games.

Aw that's too bad. I haven't tried it yet. Was looking forward to it. You've lowered my bar a little. Maybe that'll be a good thing!

Aw that's too bad. I haven't tried it yet. Was looking forward to it. You've lowered my bar a little. Maybe that'll be a good thing!

Its a one direction Deathsmiles basically. Agreed, the voices are super annoying.

SNK tried making a KoF shoot em up, also in the marketplace. That one just felt... rushed.

There's one more that came out (I forget the name at the moment) that looks promising. It looks to be a combination of Radiant Silvergun as far as weapons, but classic shoot em up. (not a puzzle shmup like RS)

I bought Trouble Witches a few days ago. While it looks similar to DS, it feels much more like it's own thing. You have shops and special items and weapons you can purchase, and the way bullets react and hit enemies feels much different. If anything it takes elements from classic Capcom arcade shmups (Forgotten Worlds with the shop system, for instance). I'm enjoying it so far but haven't spent a lot of time with it.

There's one more that came out (I forget the name at the moment) that looks promising. It looks to be a combination of Radiant Silvergun as far as weapons, but classic shoot em up. (not a puzzle shmup like RS)

Strania is the one you're thinking of. I bought it a few weeks back but haven't given it a ton of time though. People are comparing it to RS, but asides from the environments and a usable sword, I'm not really seeing the similarities. It feels more like what a modern rendition of MUSHA would be like if they made one. At least it feels more like that than Radiant Silvergun.