IGNORED

Atari 8-bit related BBS(s)

svenski

17 hours ago, rcamp48 said:

How about it bf2k+ ??? Are you up to writing Black Box support into the program, your Multi User support is there

When you say "your multi-user support is there", I have no idea what you are talking about.  But have at it... I have no interest in doing anything with Forem XEP.

BTW, I found my old BBS from 1986 on floppies the other day and I set it up just for fun.  When I was looking at the user list, your name was there.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, bf2k+ said:

When you say "your multi-user support is there", I have no idea what you are talking about.  But have at it... I have no interest in doing anything with Forem XEP.

BTW, I found my old BBS from 1986 on floppies the other day and I set it up just for fun.  When I was looking at the user list, your name was there.

It is just in the beginning stage, it will write a set of data files to 16 different directories, opening up the possibility of having more than one user on at a time, also for some reason ports 1986 and 1987 were down , I had to reset them.  Anyways the possibility of running 3 or more BBS's on separate machines and having the program automatically update the password lists from one machine to the other machines is there. So its not really multi user unless I emulate the black box in Altirra, maybe I will try that but FXEP has to be extensively rewritten to handle this.

The problem occurs when I try to add variables in the FXEP program and get an error 4 , too many variables, I may try to offload some of the routines in the main program to subs , someone had in the past attempted that , I may be the one to do this , clean up the main program a little bit, that may solve the error 4 problem. I do understand now how the program works down to most of the small details. Its a matter of making changes that do not effect the rest of the BBS.

Now that my BBS has been running for at least a couple of months, is there someone out there that is willing to give me a second chance and work with me on this. My forte has been and will always be Forem XE Professional.

Edited by rcamp48

7 hours ago, bf2k+ said:

That's neat, I did not remember calling your BBS back then but I must have , probably when I was working for companies called Whats This? and Software For Less back in 1986 , I had called a bunch of BBS's in California at the time, ran up quite the expensive phone bill too as I seem to  remember, that's when I was working for Software For Less. Oh , those were the days.....

Last night I had an idea, I would set things up so that when a new user logs onto FXEP, it would first check 16 subdirectories in a master PASS> directory , (named PASS1>,PASS2>, etc) to see if that user is in any of the password files, it would flag each PASS?> subdirectory to see it the user was indeed in the password file from that sub-directory, tell the program if so  or if not, then when the user logs off from Forem XEP, IF that node , or more accurately , that machine , which would be all networked together,  would use some of the Multi User functions and when the program normally writes to the pas.dat, pas.idx and names.dat files, it would write to the machines or nodes that do not have that user's data and skip the machines or nodes that do have the data.

Effectively this my create a pseudo type multiuser system, everyone has old systems kicking around that can have Windows 10 on them whether it be 32 bit or 64 bit, the idea is to somehow use telnet to send the password files back and forth.

In the FNET programs I have replaced the dialer program that uses a custom interface with a simple setting up of your telnet address where the custom interface is normally run, and I plan to send all of the data files that are stored in the D1:PAS>PASS?> subdirectories to the correct machine(s).

This will take extensive programming on my part to achieve this, I will be doing all testing on an XP machine with Altirra 3.91, then transferring the programs to my working machines, only after i have verified that my changes effect only what they are supposed to change and nothing else.

On another note , today is my birthday, I just turned 62 overnight, so I am celebrating that today....

If anyone wants more information, please call my BBS, SpyNet BBS at spynet.ddns.net ports 1986, 1987 and 1988, and wish me  happy birthday there , I would be tickled pink just to have 40 or more users wishing me a happy birthday on my own BBS. I can't think of a better birthday present.

Russ

8 hours ago, rcamp48 said:

On another note , today is my birthday, I just turned 62 overnight, so I am celebrating that today....

It's your birthday too? Happy Birthday! It's also Ashley Aubra Jones' birthday. She's getting lots of birthday wishes on your hacked Facebook account today.  ;-)

-JP

Edited by JohnPolka
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, JohnPolka said:

It's your birthday too? Happy Birthday! It's also Ashley Aubra Jones' birthday. She's getting lots of birthday wishes on your hacked Facebook account today.  ;-)

-JP

Yup.  I got a Facebook alert saying it’s Ashley’s birthday today.  I haven’t had a chance to send her a birthday message yet. 

Edited by Dopeyman06
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, _The Doctor__ said:

Head up!

The Resistance BBS is back online

resistance.cf

port 10001

or

port 10001

pick your poison :)

Thanks for the update. I called, posted some messages, then tried the voting booth and it locked up. :(

-JP

• Like 1

His fujinet might need some help, it should have recycled on call time out, but he is also streaming his television at the moment on a mesh network that may need some balancing

I checked and it's up, ymmv

Edited by _The Doctor__

Morning all, 

I'm interested in connecting my Windows 98 PC to a 56k modem via a twisted pair cable with RJ11 connectors. My goal is to connect the modem to a media converter with an RJ11 input and an RJ45 output, which will then connect to my modern broadband network infrastructure of switches and a router.

I've been looking into using the US Robotics Sportster 56K External Faxmodem for the modem and the Grandstream HT812 ATA device for the media converter. However, I am unsure if these devices are the best options for my intended purpose.

Would appreciate any feedback or advice from those with experience using these devices to access BBS bulletin boards or create peer-to-peer connections using retro computers. Additionally, if there are other devices that would work better for this purpose, I would be interested in learning about them. While I am not interested in using WiFi PCI cards for this setup, I am looking for a solution that can work with a variety of retro devices that were designed to connect to standard analog phone lines, such as the Sega Mega Modem.

Thanks!

1 hour ago, TheRealOC said:

Morning all, 

I'm interested in connecting my Windows 98 PC to a 56k modem via a twisted pair cable with RJ11 connectors. My goal is to connect the modem to a media converter with an RJ11 input and an RJ45 output, which will then connect to my modern broadband network infrastructure of switches and a router.

I've been looking into using the US Robotics Sportster 56K External Faxmodem for the modem and the Grandstream HT812 ATA device for the media converter. However, I am unsure if these devices are the best options for my intended purpose.

Would appreciate any feedback or advice from those with experience using these devices to access BBS bulletin boards or create peer-to-peer connections using retro computers. Additionally, if there are other devices that would work better for this purpose, I would be interested in learning about them. While I am not interested in using WiFi PCI cards for this setup, I am looking for a solution that can work with a variety of retro devices that were designed to connect to standard analog phone lines, such as the Sega Mega Modem.

Thanks!

I have used ATA devices and 56 K modem connected to xp machines. I am actually looking for a way to network 15 or 20 old laptops that are all running Altirra and fining a way to transfer password files back and forth at a user level,am working on it today to proram FXEP ultimately. Russ

SpyNet BBS is now running four different nodes, soon to be another on added tomorrow as I have 5 machines that run on Windows 10 (64 and 32 bit machines)...as always you can access all 6 (PC BBS too) , they are 5 Atari Altirra BBS's running on a network, ultimately I will have the BBS update all 5 at once no matter which node you call. Nodes 23 (PC), 1986, 1987, 1988 and 1989 are running Forem XEP.

Enjoy:

• Like 1

• 6 months later...
8 hours ago, doctorclu said:

Morning (or whatever) to everyone,

Getting back on the Atari BBSs, who has good message activity?   Currently on Boot Factory and Dark Forces but looking to expand that out again.

Probably Southern Amis, as well as probably the "linked" ones - Alcatraz/Basement/Part Time.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ripdubski said:

SouthernAMIS

The Basement

Particles

Should be noted though... Particles! is a Commodore BBS.  Great BBS, but not Atari.

Since it's not on the Atari BBS List at http://www.sfhqbbs.org/ataribbslist.php

You can find it at particlesbbs.dyndns.org  port 6400

Edited by Tillek
Added Particles! address.

45 minutes ago, Atari8guy said:

A little too much modesty here me thinks ;) ... STar Fleet HQ is also a great BBS, I particularly enjoy the FidoNet stuff, really gives you that retro-feel.  It's an ST based board, but lots of good convo across all platforms.

Perhaps, but he asked for Atari BBS's with good message activity, and things have been extremely slow (outside of the networked areas, which if I recall right, Dr. Clu isn't into that and only prefers the local message areas).  So it wasn't really a suitable answer to the question that was asked... :)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 10/28/2023 at 3:20 PM, Tillek said:

Meant to comment that I like the new title screen.

And of course, I'd expect nothing less from one of the oldest and best of the group!  (Of course, Dr. Clu already knew about the Boot Factory!)

I am running a program that randomizes multiple title screens.  It works with all screens in the BBS if you want it to.  I only have 2 ATASCII title screens now but also 2 ASCII and ANSI versions.  More to come although I am not much of an artist as you have seen. ;-)

Just a reminder about tomorrow's Atari BBS Community Chat for 3pm eastern on Sunday, November 5th.

Agenda wise, we have a few things we can look at and discuss, so we'll leave it up to whoever shows up to decide... or whatever else comes to mind!

For more information... https://tinyurl.com/nkbjhvb9

Hope to see you there!

Please PM me for the meeting link...

• 3 weeks later...

Running an 8-bit BBS decades past seemed challenging until I tried BBS Express ST. That version seemed infinitely more reliable, convenient and never (very rarely) had downtime. Not suggesting the ST version was "better" - did it lack ATASCII fancy heading screens (I think so?) but the issues with 8-bit file table limits lend themselves to administration issues and space restricted libraries online. What are your thoughts on comparing BBS Express 8 bit to BBS Express ST?