IGNORED

Atari 8-bit related BBS(s)

svenski

Hoping someone can help me figure this out. I am trying to use bobterm with the xep80. I am connecting via APE. I have no trouble while connecting without the xep80. As soon as I put the xep driver on the atr as module1.btm, bobterm starts dropping characters. I do see text on both the xep and atari screen, but tons of characters are dropped. I have tried all baud rates from 300 to 9600, although I don't think baud should be an issue because I get dropped characters even when not connected. For instance, I type '?', and the APE help menu has lots of dropped characters. I have tried bobterm versions 1.20, 1.21, and 1.22- all with the same result. I couldn't get 1.23 to load at all. I have tried using the updated module1 from Mathy's site that supports 9600 baud with each version of bobterm.

What am I missing?

I haven't tried downgrading or updating APE. I haven't tried not using APE and connecting via 850 and 830 modem. Is there anything else I can try? Is there an alternative to bobterm that works with the xep?

Updated APE to the latest. Tried different metering levels. Tried bobterm 1.1. Still no luck. I know the xep is pretty much universally hated, but if I could just use it for BBS'ing I think it would be a 'killer app' for me. As I'm on an Atari 400, I don't have many 80 column choices. Any ideas to get this working? Or alternatives to bobterm w xep80?

Edited by low.blow

• 2 weeks later...

So I finally got back to getting my FidoNet messages on the BBS (the regional coordinator was having major problems and getting the telnet feed working was lower priority since I might be the only one still using it).

One of the messages that came through was about a dial-in project some guy is starting where people with old school modems can "dial in" to telnet BBS's. At this time it looks like they have Finland and Romania dial in numbers but it looks like some US people are thinking about setting one up (might look into that magic jack myself since my FidoNet NC was using it and said it worked fairly well for him).

Anyway, it seems we've come full circle.

SIMNET is a pun on (Simulated) Tymnet - basically we're trying to set up
dial-in access points that will enable old-skool modem users to access
Telnet BBSes via access points across the globe.

Want your telnet BBS to have (eventually a bunch of) dial up numbers
across the globe?

Send me an email to admin@uuhec.net with "SIMNET node application" as the
subject with the following details:

- BBS code (the user types this in to connect to your BBS, up to 8
alphanumeric
letters/digits)
- BBS name and description
- Telnet address and port

In the following format:

<CODE>|<name and description of the system>|<address of the system>|<port>

e.g.

B4BBS|B4BBS - Yesterday's technology today!|b4bbs.sampsa.com|23

(The separator is a pipe symbol ["|"] and none of the fields should obviously
contain that or it'll bork the script)

Becoming an access point
========================

Got a spare landline and a modem (or maybe a 2G GSM dataline)?

Come help us spread the Good News about CONNECT 9600!

Contact us on the FB group below or me directly at admin@uuhec.net

Cheers,

Sampsa

PS: The current dial-up number is +358 465 0057498
We will also be updating http://www.uuhec.net/simnet/ASAP with more
numbers.

PPS: There's a FB group set up for this:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/simnet2000/
--- SBBSecho 2.27-Win32
* Origin: B4BBS = London = b4bbs.sampsa.com 2:250/7 (2:250/7)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hoping someone can help me figure this out. I am trying to use bobterm with the xep80. I am connecting via APE. I have no trouble while connecting without the xep80. As soon as I put the xep driver on the atr as module1.btm, bobterm starts dropping characters. I do see text on both the xep and atari screen, but tons of characters are dropped. I have tried all baud rates from 300 to 9600, although I don't think baud should be an issue because I get dropped characters even when not connected. For instance, I type '?', and the APE help menu has lots of dropped characters. I have tried bobterm versions 1.20, 1.21, and 1.22- all with the same result. I couldn't get 1.23 to load at all. I have tried using the updated module1 from Mathy's site that supports 9600 baud with each version of bobterm.

What am I missing?

I haven't tried downgrading or updating APE. I haven't tried not using APE and connecting via 850 and 830 modem. Is there anything else I can try? Is there an alternative to bobterm that works with the xep?

Have you tried using ICE-T 2.0.8.6 80 column ANSI/ASCII terminal for the Atari 8-bit? You can download a copy here in these forums. It was posted a while back. I use it all the time without the XEP80.

-=[Lord Cygnus]=-

SysOp of YYZ BBS

yyzbbs.no-ip.org:65

• Like 1

I have tried Ice-t 800 (as I use a 48k 400). And it works ok. 80 columns on a monochrome monitor(I have a green monitor and amber monitor) looks muuuuch better than Ice-t IMHO. My main display is an lcd via s-video, so perhaps ice-t's 80 column mode will look better when I get a crt with s-video - but I still don't think it will look as nice as a monochrome monitor does.

I wasn't able to connect to a bbs with the 850/830, but putting the 830 on test and typing seems to work fine without dropping characters (perhaps this method isn't fast enough to compare?). Does this mean my dropped character problem is APE related? Bobterm without the xep module loaded works fine. If the xep module is loaded, I get dropped characters(even prior to making a connection, and on the main display as well). I have made sure to use the improved xep module as well. I have tried different versions of APE and bobterm. I have tried adjusting "metering levels". Nothing makes a difference. I know the xep is ok, because i can run atari writer 80 without issue. Can someone that uses a setup similar to mine(48k 400/800, usb sio2pc, xep80) post a copy of bobterm, or other terminal program setup for xep80 that I can try? Or suggest APE settings to use?

• 2 weeks later...

I am not sure what connections you are using, what kind of sio to pc adapter are you using?

What handshaking if any are you using on the sio to pc adapter and in ape,

and what handshaking are you using within Bobterm,

I use the XEP with an 800XL as well as with the 130XE... I am not so certain 48K would be enough to handle bobterm and it's related modules at the same time with adequate buffers... remember the xep has a buffer and bobterm maintains it's own buffers as well...

I have run both and rs232 to sio from atarimax and a sio to usb from atarimax, I have it set to the highest reliable data rates for disk drives and highest reliable data rates for null modem use between the PC and Atari with flow control set on both the Atari and the built in ape R: device and Modem device.... once that all was working I then set the APE Modem/R: device to either telnet or modem mode depending on my needs.... The XEP keeps up nicely with Bobterm with both APE and either mio/bb using a lantronix uds as well...

Don't forget to make sure the cables are all good...I had a flakey one that only acted up in pro mode and modem mode but worked for everything else once.

• 2 weeks later...

I am thinking of changing my BBS Port number due to the large number of internet bots that are hitting the BBS constantly. I will probably do this in the next day or two.

If any SysOps are still on the fence about this, you should consider it. I did it a long time ago and it made all the difference.

That said, this is a huge thing sweeping the entire BBS community. If you follow it anywhere else (Facebook groups, forums, FidoNet) BBS's are making a mass migration off port 23.

If you're considering it, this is probably a good time because most BBS list maintainers are expecting and processing these changes, and so is the community. Doing it now while it is on everyone's mind and expected will make it easier. You'll just be "one more change" while everyone is already making changes.

Safe BBSing!

• Like 1

I am thinking of changing my BBS Port number due to the large number of internet bots that are hitting the BBS constantly. I will probably do this in the next day or two.

Good idea. Ever notice most of them originate (or at least appear to) from China and the Russian Federation?

I'm almost 100% certain that I'm going to move away from port 23 as well. After Tillek

and some other users pointed it out, it's obvious that, while not affecting the operations

of DarkForce, it's tying up the port, at the very least, thus making it harder for callers to

get in.

When I make the change, I'll post it here, the ST forum and over at Atari Forum.

Thanks everyone.

• Like 1

Okay, in a few days I'm going to change the DarkForce BBS to port 520.

So if you try to logon with the standard telnet port 23 and can't get in,

try 520 instead.

Thanks everyone!

Great... now it won't take me 5-8 attempts to log in! ;)

Maybe to make it easier for everyone, the SysOps could just agree to say, change on the 11th (right before the weekend?) Or maybe a few days later if that's not enough...... Get a big blitz out so everyone can change their lists at the same time?

Great... now it won't take me 5-8 attempts to log in! ;)

Maybe to make it easier for everyone, the SysOps could just agree to say, change on the 11th (right before the weekend?) Or maybe a few days later if that's not enough...... Get a big blitz out so everyone can change their lists at the same time?

What's the big deal? It should take less than a minute to switch it over. I should think the BBS stuff could all be left as is, and a simple port forward setup on the router/firewall is all that is needed.

What's the big deal? It should take less than a minute to switch it over. I should think the BBS stuff could all be left as is, and a simple port forward setup on the router/firewall is all that is needed.

Yes the actual switch-over can be done in seconds, but then all the 'documentation' (screens, web-pages etc) needs to be changed and that is somewhat time-consuming for me here.

Yes the actual switch-over can be done in seconds, but then all the 'documentation' (screens, web-pages etc) needs to be changed and that is somewhat time-consuming for me here.

If you are referring to references to the URL (that would then be changed), then I get that. I suppose digging through and making sure all references are updated takes a bit more than a router config. If that's not all that you are referring to, then I'm not really understanding. Like, what do you mean by update menus for example?