IGNORED

New Vectrex System Prototype found!

Desfeek

Reported by http://www.vectrex.co.uk/, Manu, an accomplished Vectrex homebrew programmer, has stumbled across photos of a new Vectrex system prototype. What makes this find especially interesting is the fact that it is a completely redesigned exterior of the system. Some early speculation is that it could possibly be another Color Vector prototype, or maybe the previously only-rumored resized 5" Vector monitor. Also very notable are the controllers, which underwent a complete redesign.

Special thanks to AA member VectrexMad!, who maintains the website, which is one of the best (if not the best) sources for current Vectrex information.

I wish it had actually been physically found, so our questions could be answered. Another mystery about these pictures is the name at the top of the system - it is unreadable, but people have thrown around the ideas, "Vectrex MicroSystem" or "Vectrex VideoSystem". Check it out, what do you think?

How can you tell? If the unit was on, we could get a better idea of the dimensions of the screen, but maybe the entire glass flaceplate isn't used for the actual play area (think the boarder around a game boy screen). Another thing is there aren't any places for overlays, which helps the idea that this may have been a color prototype.

I wish it had actually been physically found, so our questions could be answered. Another mystery about these pictures is the name at the top of the system - it is unreadable, but people have thrown around the ideas, "Vectrex MicroSystem" or "Vectrex VideoSystem". Check it out, what do you think?

I had contact with the owner of that Flickr page and he told me he had a close look at the original photographs and that it definitely says "Vectrex Video System". He's going to chat with his dad (who took the photos) soon to see if his dad can remember anything.

The folks at GCE did talk about making a portable Vectrex, but decided against it when the GameBoy was released, as they realized that a new version of the console wouldn't stand a chance against Nintendo's marketing muscle. I can't say that I blame them... the old GameBoy looks like a real clunker by today's standards, but compared to that Vectrex prototype it's practically Apple chic. That mini-Vex looks like one of those old fish finders from the 1980s.

The folks at GCE did talk about making a portable Vectrex, but decided against it when the GameBoy was released, as they realized that a new version of the console wouldn't stand a chance against Nintendo's marketing muscle. I can't say that I blame them... the old GameBoy looks like a real clunker by today's standards, but compared to that Vectrex prototype it's practically Apple chic. That mini-Vex looks like one of those old fish finders from the 1980s.

The speculation is that the so called mini vex as you have called it is just an alternative design that MB considered when they took over the rights of the Vectrex from GCE.

According to the Vectrex FAQ, a truly much smaller Vectrex design was under consideration by Smith Engineering. This would have been based on a very small flast TV tube. Here's the text from the FAQ:

1988: Western Technologies/Smith Engineering tries to resurrect Vectrex

as a handheld unit. It is to be based on the Sinclair flat TV tube,

which has fast static deflection at low power consumption and low cost.

However, the impending introduction of GameBoy (1989) eventually causes

the idea to be scrapped.

• 7 years later...

This is really cool and I dig it. Granted, it wouldn't have taken off in the late 80s/early 90s due to the Gameboy and other competition (Game Gear, Lynx). But, if someone were to release that today given the current retro gaming market, I am sure people would swoop up to get that little thing for sure.

looks like http://www.vectrex.co.uk/news-2011.htm

recently popped up here https://twitter.com/nvmusa/status/1063246203964526593

congrats to the museum! hat tip to Etigro

Looks like the monitor is horizontal instead of vertical. I guess this would have made it incompatible with the original Vectrex...Interesting though.

Nope. The CRT is mounted vertically.

Reference these internal photos of the Mini Vectrex proto via the Vectrex Fans Unite! group posting by Sean Kelly of the National Videogame Museum in Frisco Texas.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/vectrex/permalink/908004062743305/

• 2 weeks later...