IGNORED

The Flashback doesn't use Coltan does it?

Not to be a downer and not to give Curt and the gang any kind of guilt trip here but I was reading this very very thought-provoking article about how console manufacturers sometimes buy "conflict minerals" such as Coltan out of places such as the Congo and I just wanted to alleviate my worry that my Flashback 2 was not a part of this practice.

I certainly wouldn't blame the manufacturers of the Flashbacks given they are not Microsoft, Sony, nor Nintendo and probably can't check their component sources as readily. And I love my Flashback 2 and will continue to enjoy it for years to come even if it does contain Coltan, I just might not be quite so innocent with my gaming joy in the future, that's all.

Anyone care to alleviate my concerns and assure me I am playing on an ethical console?

I highly recommend to anyone that they read the article, it makes me rethink my hobby.

I had to look this up - apparently "Coltan" is used to make tantalum capacitors. Also, most comes from Australia.

It's easy to open up a console and look for tantalum capacitors (they are usually 1.2mm x 0.6mm surface mount components with a bevel on the end since they are polarized) and it's usually possible to determine the manufacturer of them, and many manufacturers certify the source of their Coltan.

For what it's worth, some Harmony carts use a tantalum capacitor, and it was manufactured by Kemet, who certifies its Coltan is not from any disputed areas.

Not to be a downer and not to give Curt and the gang any kind of guilt trip here but I was reading this very very thought-provoking article about how console manufacturers sometimes buy "conflict minerals" such as Coltan out of places such as the Congo and I just wanted to alleviate my worry that my Flashback 2 was not a part of this practice.

No, the child slave labor to assemble them was expensive enough.

• Like 5

• 2 months later...

I'm not bothered by any of it. Africa brought it upon itself when it rebelled against the British and French Empires in favor of being ruled by homegrown tinpot dictators that made the Empires in retrospect look like shining beacons of liberty. The continent went from a major exporter under imperial times to a basket case needing constant bail outs from our First World Countries.

And if someone wants to buy ethical electronics, you'll have to stick with retro computing since everything now is built in China and the Chinese government doesn't give a rip about human rights in Africa and all the other places they acquire their raw materials from...

Maybe I have a jaded opinion of the subject since I strongly believe the Nigerian spammers deserve a fate far worse than being shipped off to the spice mines of Kessel...

• Like 4

Africa brought it upon itself when it rebelled against the British and French Empires

Uhhmmm.. you mean like we (the US) did?

America is ruled by corporations and special interests. Not tinpot dictators and warlords. So no, not like us.

Now I'm going back to our conflict minerals mine where we use cloned and harvested child salve labor and operations funded by blood diamonds, all to bring you new Flashback 2+'s.

Edited by wgungfu

No, the child slave labor to assemble them was expensive enough.

Here's the thing that people don't consider. Even though kids (usually) get the s**t (I dont know if swearing is allowed on here) end of the stick when it comes to wages, the fact of the matter is, without these kind of jobs, them and their families WILL starve, because manufacturers take advantage of the countries that have nothing, so they can pay nothing.

Here's the thing that people don't consider. Even though kids (usually) get the s**t (I dont know if swearing is allowed on here) end of the stick when it comes to wages, the fact of the matter is, without these kind of jobs, them and their families WILL starve, because manufacturers take advantage of the countries that have nothing, so they can pay nothing.

That's why we clone our child workers as mentioned. Nobody to feed except them.

• 1 year later...