IGNORED

Fallout 3: Game of the Year Edition Question

Tempest

I've read that Fallout 3: GotY edition comes with all the expansion packs on a separate disc. I have the original version and I really don't want to have to buy the game again to get the expansion packs and $10 a pop on Xbox live seems ridiculous since the GotY edition is only $40 used (it would cost $50 to download them all). Do you simply install the expansion packs from the disc? If so, could you just borrow it from someone and return it after installing or do you need to insert the disc when you play?

Tempest

I've read that Fallout 3: GotY edition comes with all the expansion packs on a separate disc. I have the original version and I really don't want to have to buy the game again to get the expansion packs and $10 a pop on Xbox live seems ridiculous since the GotY edition is only $40 used (it would cost $50 to download them all). Do you simply install the expansion packs from the disc? If so, could you just borrow it from someone and return it after installing or do you need to insert the disc when you play?

Tempest

You can borrow it and install them all...

You an borrow it and install it, I'll have to go back and check, but I think you have to use the expansion disc as a boot disc in order to play though.

You can buy the expansions as stand alone though, look in game.stop, they should be pretty cheap since they are pretty well useless without the main game...I got three of the expansions that way for a couple of bucks each.

I don't have it, but I assume the install of the DLC disc requires the GOTY edition to be in the drive to access that content in order to prevent the disc being passed on to the owners of the normal retail edition, to prevent just this sort of sharing.

In otherwords, I imagine it's useless to anyone with the regular edition of this game.

Edited by Atariboy

How about suggesting this to the publishers....

"If you buy the Limted/Special edition of a game, the user automatically gets all expansion packs." I love the limited editions, but absolutely hate it when I have to buy it again and again to get the additional game play elements.

Example. I paid good coin for the Fallout 3 Limited edition and was "sucked" into it big time. So much so, I bought all the expansion discs. One of my favorite gaming experiecnes of all time and well worth it IMHO.

HOWEVER....

Since then, I have been jaded and now wait for the GOTY editions and even then, I wait until the price goes to $30 or less.. like Borderlands.... Side note here how many games can be GOTY simultaneously? There seems to be an aweful lot of these. Can there be more than 1 game of the year. Is the public really that stupid :-) I am waiting for Fallout: New Vegas to be GOTY along with Fable III, Halo Reach, Alan Wake, etc., etc., etc... Too many good games dammit!!!

At that time I will purchase these with all the game content for 1/2 the price of the initial offering of the "standard" edition. I can wait. I have plenty of other titles to tide me over in the mean time.

BTW: As far at the expansion discs go for Fallout. Once installed on your HD, you don't need the discs (Hope you didn't buy the arcade model), only a copy of the game to play them is needed.

-GrizzLee

BTW: As far at the expansion discs go for Fallout. Once installed on your HD, you don't need the discs (Hope you didn't buy the arcade model), only a copy of the game to play them is needed.

-GrizzLee

So you could 'borrow' the expansion disc and use your original copy of the game or does it have to be the GotY edition (is the disc itself actually different?).

-GrizzLee

So you could 'borrow' the expansion disc and use your original copy of the game or does it have to be the GotY edition (is the disc itself actually different?).

In my case, I have the seperate expansion discs. I believe it is the same for the GOTY. It just installs the D/L contnet onto your HD.

SOem others, like Borderlands, contain keys to D/L the extra content. Which I do not like.

-GrizzLee

If you can play without at least the GOTY version of the game, that would be new, I know Oblivion puts up a thing on the screen saying the gameplay would change if you use the non GOTY disc...but then, it got all it's expansions on one disc, instead of 4 different discs, it may not be practical.

I'll dig out my game and load it up and see what happens, as I have both GOTY, all the expansion discs, and an original game, I should be able to see what happens.

My friend bought the GOTY Edition and I just borrowed his disk and installed it onto my hard drive.

Have you tried accessing the expansions through your game yet?

Yeah going through Point Lookout right now and it's working with my original disk no problem :D

The expansion disk for Borderlands does the same thing, i.e. install the add-on's and then put the expansion disk away as all you need is the original game disk.

Mendon

I thought borderlands used a code to just download the game data, not an actual disc? I may get it then if that's not the case, I was told it had a code and lost interest.

The expansion disk for Borderlands does the same thing, i.e. install the add-on's and then put the expansion disk away as all you need is the original game disk.

Mendon

I thought borderlands used a code to just download the game data, not an actual disc? I may get it then if that's not the case, I was told it had a code and lost interest.

I should clarify..... the Borderlands Game of the Year Edition does indeed use a code to download the expansions. But there is also a Borderlands Expansion DISK that is available that has the Mad Moxie: Beyond Underdome and Zombie Island of Dr. Ned expansions on it.

Borderlands Expansion Disk from Amazon

Sorry for confusing you.

Mendon