IGNORED

Playing XBOX 360 OffLine

GrizzLee

The other night I was playing some D/L game content and noticed that my XBOX was performing very slowly. So much so, it made the game unplayable.. each level was painfully slow in loading and I couldn't figure out what the problem was. I rebooted a few times w/o success and came to the realization the my ISP service was very slow (all my wireless devices were slow). So much so, that I couldn't look at My Community or Inside XBOX. Everything would time out. Sorting through the menus was painfully slow. It was if my box was tied to on-line like a medical patient.

Does the XBOX 360 constantly ping online during game play? This seems very weird too me. Iwas about ot through my xbox out the window.. cursing MS every step of the way.

I looked for an option to turn on-line capabilities off. I couldn't easily find how to do it.

Is there a way to play w/o being on-line? If so, how do I turn it off? I am afriad that if this happens again, I will be looking at a broken xbox and numerous targets made of all my MS products in my house.

-GrizzLee

Edited by GrizzLee

Click your gamercard to go to your profile, go down to Auto Sign-In and select Disable under Xbox Live.

As long as that machine is the registered machine under your gamertag you can play your downloaded games offline.

I personally keep my gamertag on a USB stick since I have two Xbox 360's.

Click your gamercard to go to your profile, go down to Auto Sign-In and select Disable under Xbox Live.

As long as that machine is the registered machine under your gamertag you can play your downloaded games offline.

I personally keep my gamertag on a USB stick since I have two Xbox 360's.

I tried that. It still misbehaved. It is like the machine still communicates with the live service. I should add, the only thing that wokred was turning off my wireless modem and then everything was back to normal speed. Turning on the modem resulted in piss-poor performance. It seems to detect live and attaches it self to it like flies on stink regardless of what I do.

-GrizzLee

That seems strange that it happens even when auto sign on is disabled. When you're signed on it keeps pinging to see if your friends suddenly come online and crap like that. I've always suspected the menu system is tied to online as well since sometimes it takes longer than other times to load your recently played games in the menus. I've always got my 360 connected to the net though so I haven't tested that theory by unplugging it.

I dunno because I don't have a slim, but seems to me you could go into the network settings and remove the info for connecting to your wireless router/modem. If it doesn't have the correct password, I wouldn't think it would connect at all even if it wanted to.

I dunno because I don't have a slim, but seems to me you could go into the network settings and remove the info for connecting to your wireless router/modem. If it doesn't have the correct password, I wouldn't think it would connect at all even if it wanted to.

Yes, I can do that. STUPID, STUPID, STUPID design. Why not have a switch?

-GrizzLee

If you play with the profile that purchased the game, on the console said game was purchased on, then you can play it offline. Otherwise, it has to be online, and if the online is slow, it'll screw your game up.

It won't affect disc software, except obviously for any online supported portions of the game/software.

I won't swear, as I only have one game I purchased online, and still have the console it was bought on, but I've heard that if you transfer the title to a new system, it still has to be hooked up (much to the annoyment of people who bought games and got a RROD )

If you play with the profile that purchased the game, on the console said game was purchased on, then you can play it offline. Otherwise, it has to be online, and if the online is slow, it'll screw your game up.

It won't affect disc software, except obviously for any online supported portions of the game/software.

I won't swear, as I only have one game I purchased online, and still have the console it was bought on, but I've heard that if you transfer the title to a new system, it still has to be hooked up (much to the annoyment of people who bought games and got a RROD )

That's not the problem.

I can't remember where you go, but yes, you can transfer the game liscenses from one Xbox to another if you've switched consoles. As mentioned, it's really only necessary for games or add-ons purchased on-line (and if you plan on using them offline). You can transfer the liscenses once per year. I had to do this once when I had an E74 error.

I realize that this doesn't appear to be the issue here, but just saying.

I can't remember where you go, but yes, you can transfer the game liscenses from one Xbox to another if you've switched consoles. As mentioned, it's really only necessary for games or add-ons purchased on-line (and if you plan on using them offline). You can transfer the liscenses once per year. I had to do this once when I had an E74 error.

I realize that this doesn't appear to be the issue here, but just saying.

Yeah, I've had 4 Xboxs go tits up on me. I've had to deal that a few times now. I am hoping this new slim is better. SO far it is, except the DVD idrive is farking loud on some games.

So my basic problem is that I can't seem to play off-line with my wireless modem active. Not unless I disable my settings or turn off my modem. Both options are not easy or desireable. The reason is that I have seen degraded performance from my XBOX when my ISP service is slow. This shouldn't be a problem, and it appears tht MS doesn't provide any soultion for this other than passing the buck and telling me I should talk to my ISP.

-GrizzLee

Yeah, I've had 4 Xboxs go tits up on me. I've had to deal that a few times now. I am hoping this new slim is better. SO far it is, except the DVD idrive is farking loud on some games.

That is not really the systems fault, if the game is new take it back and have it replaced, when the game was pressed They didn't get it dead center and or the disk is not 100% balanced causing the system to vibrate when it spins. these disks are considered faulty even if they play, continued use of these disks can lead to drive failure.

A few games i own does this, PGR4 makes my system vibrate loudly. MW2 makes my system vibrate (not as bad as PGR4). but the rest of my games play silently (Forza 3, L4D2, GTA4).

The reason i know this is because my friend also has Forza 3 and his disks causes his system to vibrate bad. I tried his disks on my system and they caused my system to vibrate just as loud (my disks do not vibrate my nor his system). The same friend owns PGR4 and his is silent and mine causes my system to vibrate.

i have had these games for too long to be able to get them replaced.

But back on topic.

Ever since the kinect dashboard update i have noticed a slowdown in how the dashboard operates and how fast things load. When a friend logs on a pop up notification (does it on any notification) shows up and causes severe framerate drop and sputter. Pressing A or B in the dashboard to select or go back can be ignored.

games take longer to load, saving game progress can take longer.

Edited by madmax2069

Before I let it rip, let me say that by far I've had some of the best experiences of gaming on the 360. With that said:

Its the system. Its a piece of shit. Always has been. No excuses. Been through this a billion times.

My launch system played games really friggin' loud after a few years but then it red-ringed for whatever reason and I got another. Red-ringed again and fixed it through MS.

Finally got a free system (the Call of Duty model) through a cool friend of mine and now I have two and I'm done.

I mainly do my stuff on other systems now so I'm just playing downloadable games on the 360 for the most part.

If you're playing on the system that made the DLC purchase, it doesn't matter which profile is being used or if the system is offline or online. Every profile has access offline to content tied to that specific console.

You can log out of live easy enough, just go over and select your user (or use the start button if your in a game) and "connect/disconnect to Xbox live" is one of the options on that menu. You can also set the login to default as off, so it never logs in unless you tell it to...though I thin you have to do that from the system menu.

If you're playing on the system that made the DLC purchase, it doesn't matter which profile is being used or if the system is offline or online. Every profile has access offline to content tied to that specific console.

Cool, didn't know that, I thought maybe the downloads were attached to the user name or something.

You can log out of live easy enough, just go over and select your user (or use the start button if your in a game) and "connect/disconnect to Xbox live" is one of the options on that menu. You can also set the login to default as off, so it never logs in unless you tell it to...though I thin you have to do that from the system menu.

I must be clueless. I don't see what you are talking about. In chosing my profile I see no connect/disconnect option.

As far as I can tell, turnining logon as defualt off, just means that it won't log you on as a user. Once I choose my profile, it is automatically logging me in.

If there is a way to provide screen shots? I'm not seeing anyway to disconnect from live on the dashboard.

-GrizzLee

If you're connected to the net and sign in to an Xbox Live username it will connect to the net. The only way to stay offline is in an offline profile or disconnect the 360 from the net.

That's what I've concluded... and the root of my problem when my ISP service is sloooow.

I will have to play the connection settings when I have issues so it doesn't logon.

I really feal like I am renting the box and don't actually own it :-(

Thanks,

-GrizzLee

Thanks,

-GrizzLee

Hu? Your ISP is slow so you feel like you're renting your 360?

You do own the box and can fix this problem. Here's what you do. Pull up the blades, (push the big X button in the center of your controller) Go all the way to the right, then click on System Setting. Next go to Network Setting and click on your network and push Y to disconnect from your wireless router. Enjoy your game. "Issue" solved.

With practice, this fix will take you 5 second if that. :thumbsup:

If you want to play online do the exact same thing but this time when you click on your network, put your password in. Easy peasy.

Do you do a lot of online gaming? If so, and it's that important to you, I'd maybe look into getting on a speedier network.

Thanks,

-GrizzLee

Hu? Your ISP is slow so you feel like you're renting your 360?

You do own the box and can fix this problem. Here's what you do. Pull up the blades, (push the big X button in the center of your controller) Go all the way to the right, then click on System Setting. Next go to Network Setting and click on your network and push Y to disconnect from your wireless router. Enjoy your game. "Issue" solved.

With practice, this fix will take you 5 second if that. :thumbsup:

If you want to play online do the exact same thing but this time when you click on your network, put your password in. Easy peasy.

Do you do a lot of online gaming? If so, and it's that important to you, I'd maybe look into getting on a speedier network.

Your flip answer makes it seem so easy. I'll assume that you didn't read the entire thread.

Disconnecting from the network and then re-entering all the data (WEP key, passwords, etc..) to get back on is not convienent nor something that takes 5 secs. Also, given the fact that the data entry is done through the controllers and not a keyboard is not helping either.

In any event, this is going nowhere. My ISP is fine. I made the comment that when my ISP is slow, maybe due to due to service outages, etc... that the performnace of the XBOX is degraded... I beleive the main issue is that MS is pinging the box constantly while one is connected. Apparently there is no easy work-around this issue that can be addressed by the users here.

MS has made their prouct less of a toy and more of a techno gadget for geeks just shy of requiring a subscription service to keep it working (a set top box in disquise... just like my cable box). There is something to be said for the old days of console gaming.

I will file another complaint with MS and leave it at that.

-GrizzLee

Disconnecting from the network and then re-entering all the data (WEP key, passwords, etc..) to get back on is not convienent nor something that takes 5 secs.

All you should have to enter in the WEP key. You're right that wouldn't take 5 seconds...25-30 maybe? 10 seconds if you have a chat-pad. I believe it would take 5 seconds to disconnect when you were having an issue though. You could deal with the 30 second reconnect another day. How often does your ISP slow down!??

Its not a flip answer. It is a simple, temporary solution to keep playing even when your ISP craps out.

Honestly how did the human race survive back in the day when we had to say...get up off our butts and go change the TV channel or dial a phone number on a rotary phone? Come on. Does 30 seconds really inconvenience a person?

Anyways.....

Do you have a Gold account? Do you play a lot online? If not, another solution would be to not connect at all. Bypass the techno gadgetry and play with your toy. In the old days of console gaming, we didn't connect our console to the internet, so something like what you're experiencing wouldn't have come into play. There nothing really to be said about it, except that someone might experience what you are earlier in video game history had we connected consoles to an internet.

I personally don't see how MS or Live is to fault. They ping everyone's 360 consoles, but most people have no problem? Not sure I'm buying that. Even though you say your ISP is fine, I'd open a ticket with them. Maybe they can tell you what traffic is on the line when you are connected to Live. Or if MS pinging you is what you suspect, maybe log into your router and filter out all ICMP packets. I did indeed read the thread. There's a lot of complaining about MS but not a lot of info about the problem. For instance, what type of high speed connection are you on? What game 's DLC were you playing when you had the issue? How does just a regular game with no added DLC content play when your connection slows down? Also...how often is this happening?

Reading the thread, just sounds to me like your connection bandwidth to the internet is too low to play games while online. The dash board is fueled by the Live network so it makes sense that wouldn't work well if your ISP sucked . Maybe the DLC might be part of the problem. I dunno, I have 100's of DLC downloads on my 360, almost always connect to Live and never once had an issue like you are describing. Then again, I have a pretty speedy DSL connection and can't recall ever being strapped for bandwidth. You might want to check your contract and see if you are guaranteed a particular minimum bandwidth.

Moycon - GrizzLee..... Am I missing something here?

Are you saying that when you go into the network settings menu, there is NO "Enable/Disable" network connection button? You mean, that to turn off the internet connection, you have to DELETE the network connection settings (including WEP key) and then re-enter them completely again (including WEP key) the next time you want to connect thru the internal WiFi?

If the above is what you are saying, that sounds about as archaic as stone knives and bearskins!!!

I don't own the Xbox360 "S" model so I have no idea what the settings menu looks like, but both my Wii and PS3 have simple "Enable/Disable" buttons for the network connection and I can't believe MS would make you delete a network connection setting just to turn off the network connection.

Mendon

you have to DELETE the network connection settings (including WEP key) and then re-enter them completely again (including WEP key) the next time you want to connect thru the internal WiFi?

If by deleting you mean pressing the Y button, then yes, you have to do that. It literally takes 5 seconds.

To reconnect you have to choose your wireless network and put in your WEP key.

If you did both one right after another it might take you a minute.

My guess is cavemen in bearskins spent longer time peeing in the morning.

BTW, Those drama classes are really paying off! :P

You're right, the PS3 has a button to temporarily disable the internet.

I guess you'd save a minute if you need to disconnect from the internet over the 360.

I personally have never done this.

Seems like a fair trade though. A system update on the PS3 takes around 15-25 minutes every other month, while on the 360 it takes around 5-10 minutes and happens about 3 times a year. If you figure how much of your time is taken up by PS3 updates, you can disconnect and reconnect 120 times on Live a year and still come out ahead. :thumbsup:

Then there was the time I re-downloaded my $5 arcade title PAIN and wanted to play but had to wait 40 minutes for like 8 updates. (Even recorded it and stuck it on YouTube) To me that is inconvenient.

I could have disconnected/reconnected to Live 40 more times! :cool:

If you ask me, the time being wasted is all relative.

Maybe just leaving these systems offline IS the way to go for some people.