IGNORED

Sega Genesis Retrogen Handheld Game System

thegamezmaster

Greetings Programs! Does anyone know of a retail store that sells the Sega Genesis Retrogen Handheld Game system? I live in Central Il and would like to be able just to go to a store and buy one. Does anyone have one? Are they good or bad or curious about an owner's thoughts on them. I have a Sega nomad and would like to get rid of that and get one of these if they're any good please let me know and thanks for any input.

Greetings Programs! Does anyone know of a retail store that sells the Sega Genesis Retrogen Handheld Game system? I live in Central Il and would like to be able just to go to a store and buy one. Does anyone have one? Are they good or bad or curious about an owner's thoughts on them. I have a Sega nomad and would like to get rid of that and get one of these if they're any good please let me know and thanks for any input.

There is a program for retial stores to order them from the company in bulk and resell them. That said I don't think any national chains carry anything like them yet. I have seen the GenMobile, RetroGen, and FC Mobile in my local classic game store, but never in a chain.

The Nomad is a prize man. Keep it too if nothing else. I would love to find one I could test before buying it. I just hate to get something like that from the internets, you never know what you are really getting untill you have it.

I would suggest keeping the Nomad. If you a a avid classic gamer the positives of these systems will not outweigh the negatives.

This is just my opinion of course, I am sure there are plenty of people who enjoy the GenMobile/RetroGen.

If you are looking for something really portable that can play Genesis games for around the same price I would suggest checking out the Gopher. There are quite a few YouTube videos comparing the Gopher to the GenMobile or RetroGen.

The 2 big downsides of the Gopher is that it doesn't play original carts (only ROMs off a SD card). Some would consider this an upside though because it makes it much more portable. The second is game saves do not work with the Gopher. Other than that is feels much better built and its much more portable than the GenMobile/RetroGen/Nomad.

Can I ask what the level of compatibility is like for ROMs off the SD card? The Gopher actually looks like a pretty neat device...

No compatibility I know has been published. These Chinese companies don't test every ROM/Game on these systems. I would assume the compatibility is similar to that of the RetroGen/GenMobile since it uses a similar emulator as they do, however it appears to have a faster processor than the GenMobile/RetroGen.

One person reported finding one of those AtGames thingys at a WalGreens. I've got both the RetroGen and GenMobile (ordered online). They're okay for the price... the main issue is the sound is still screwed up (plays music at the wrong pitch). Otherwise they're the same old ARM chip with an emulator.

The only flash cart to work with these AtGames systems is the MD-Pro. You can also get a Firecore Passport (from Germany) to use SD cards with them. At that point, it's like the Gopher. I've got an MD-Pro 64 in the GenMobile, and the Passport in the RetroGen.

That was me, I found a sonic head game by AtGames at Walgreens, forget the precise name, something with Arcade in it and it used the SD card. It was not the Gopher but a plug n play TV game. They had one left when I went there, never went back due to lack of funds.

Edited by nathanallan