IGNORED

Some older Games

Cybergoth

Multichoice!  

13 members have voted

1. 1. Which of these are stil worth a look?

• Civilization Revolution
    • Devil May Cry 4
    • Saints Row 2
    • Eternal Sonata
    • Siren: Blood Curse
    • Tomb Raider Underworld

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

I can only speak for the ones I have and that I have played. (except TR:UW)

- Devil May Cry 4. Yes if your a fan and have the other games. Its the last game to feature the "old" look Dante. New developer Ninja Theory has cool new ideas except for the guy drawing the new Dante. I know a lot of people dont like the new Dante and I happen to be one of them. :thumbsdown:

- Eternal Sonata. This is and will be a classic. I finished the Xbox 360 twice and own the PS3 version (got halfway thru).

Let me know if you want to know the differences. I can get into that now but will save for later. Up to you.

- Siren: Blood Curse. Creepy as hell game. In my opinion there are not enough horror games these days. I posted another thread on this and I forgot about this one! Its good and scary. I only got halfway through on this as well. I refused to download it so imported the UK copy.

- Tomb Raider Underworld. Haven't played but my friends say its the same as the others which I like. Why not? And now you can get all the Tomb Raider games on once Disc. Tomb Raider collection for PS3

Civilization Revolution is one of the highlight games of this generation. If you like strategy games or games with depth at all, then buy it.

Eternal Sonata is definitely worth checking out. It has interesting systems and it's a beautiful game. It and Valkyria Chronicles are really artistic stand outs of this generation.

I agree with the Civilization Revolution reccomendation. It is one of those games I would start playing at 8pm and have to force myself to quit at 2am. I played the 360 version, but I would assume the PS3 release is identical.

Does this iteration of the franchise still require tons of micromanagement once your civilization grows a bit?

I agree with the Civilization Revolution reccomendation. It is one of those games I would start playing at 8pm and have to force myself to quit at 2am. I played the 360 version, but I would assume the PS3 release is identical.

Does this iteration of the franchise still require tons of micromanagement once your civilization grows a bit?

Personally, I find it to be the opposite of Civ 2. In Civ 2, there isn't much to do in the beginning and the late game requires ludicrous amounts of micromanagement. I find Civ Rev to require some moderate micromanagement in the early game, and the late game is almost entirely about moving armies around and whacking stuff.

Most of the things which caused the micromanagement in Civ 2 have been automated or dispensed with entirely in Civ Rev.

In Civ Rev, the only real micromanagement is making sure each city is building what they need to and moving your armies around. There's none of the busywork of making sure settlers are building road squares or terraforming land. As the game goes on there is almost none of the micromanagement of assigning individual citizens to specific tasks.

Most of the things which caused the micromanagement in Civ 2 have been automated or dispensed with entirely in Civ Rev.

Thank you very much for the detailed information, this sounds very promising! :)

Another question I have, is whether there's some kind of story or campaign mode in the game? Or is it more like choosing a couple of parameters and then play yet another round?

Somewhat related: I swear I saw a demo of it in the PS3 store around christmas, but when I wanted to download it today, it was gone... :?

Another question I have, is whether there's some kind of story or campaign mode in the game? Or is it more like choosing a couple of parameters and then play yet another round?

The latter.

There are a few scenarios, but they're not stories either. It's very much a classic game sort of feel. Pick a culture and get to business in a freeform randomized world. Figure an individual game to take about 4 hours.

I don't know about the PS3 trophies, but this was one of only a tiny few games which I felt the Achievements were worthwhile and fun to pursue.

There are a few scenarios, but they're not stories either. It's very much a classic game sort of feel. Pick a culture and get to business in a freeform randomized world. Figure an individual game to take about 4 hours.

Thanks again for the info. It's a bit of a downer, since I'm usually a very goal orientated gamer, not so much a toy user :)

- Tomb Raider Underworld. Haven't played but my friends say its the same as the others which I like. Why not? And now you can get all the Tomb Raider games on once Disc. Tomb Raider collection for PS3

The collection looks very loveless - the copy & paste cover alone would make me avoid this trilogy package.

Regarding Underworld, I now think it could also be interesting to just wait for Reboot/Reborn first, since so far I have never played much of the series anyway :)

I agree 100% with Gabriel and his assessment of Civ Rev. Great game that sucks you in and doesn't let you go until the battle is over. There are even a couple FREE DLC packs available... well, at least they were available and FREE last year.

Eternal Sonata is just a beautiful, beautiful game. Very original story and high production values in every department.

Siren is very good if you are into survival horror. Much more "Resident Evil" than Resident Evil 5, IMO. I imported the disk version, also.

Mendon

Can't give you advise on those titles. Got Saints row 1 but i can't play it because the camera control is making me sick. It's controlled differently then in titles like gta, red dead redemption, uncharted, and that's maybe why i can't play it.

I've been assuming that Saints Row 2 might be the weakest title I listed, since it felt a lot like a GTA wannabe and it doesn't look half as good. Thanks for pointing out the additional camera problems!

- Devil May Cry 4. Yes if your a fan and have the other games. Its the last game to feature the "old" look Dante. New developer Ninja Theory has cool new ideas except for the guy drawing the new Dante. I know a lot of people dont like the new Dante and I happen to be one of them. :thumbsdown:

I've been reading quite a couple of DMC4 reviews lately and I think I probably should wait for the reboot here as well. I never was a big fan of the original DMCs and it seems 4 is just more of that. I like Ninja Theories offerings though, so it seems best to give their new effort a chance. I thought the trailer looked pretty cool in itself and if dmc is backed by a cool story I don't mind if they altered Dantes personality/look some (just like I don't mind the upcoming Lara Croft). - It's a reboot after all! ;)

IIRC, they changed Dante's look in Part 4 because he's older now. The character on the front cover is Nero and he is the character you play as for the majority of the game (Just clarifying that for those that haven't played it). But yes, it's more of the same, but in a good way.

• 2 weeks later...

When I was in town today I saw that "Brütal Legend" is also available for 20 Euro now. Is it a good game, worth a look?

(It's not listed in the choices, but I didn't want to start a new thread for another old game.)

I'm not quite sure if I even grasp the gameplay of it. What I see does remind me a lot of Overlord though, so is it some kind of Heavy Metal clone of Overlord?

I wanted to thank everyone for their votes and feedback. I decided to add Eternal Sonata to my shopping list. I might get some of the others later as well, but this lovely looking RPG gets the highest priority for now :)

I finished that game on the 360 and I'm halfway through the PS3 version. I think the PS3 version is a bit harder though. It's instantly a classic RPG and its easy on the eyes too.