IGNORED

Genesis EverDrive - Question

SlowCoder

Blast,

I understand your confusion because it is not very straight forward. When saving an SRAM back-up it is saving the current data from the selected SRAM bank in the options menu to a file. What you are doing is overwriting your ROM file with the save data.

Instead try this:

1. Put SD card on computer.

2. Create a directory called "SAVES" in the root.

3. Now play a game and save. Sonic 3 is a good game because it saves right when you start.

4. Now that your game is saved go to the save/load SRAM tool.

5. Hightlight your SAVES directory and hit START button.

6. You should now get a keyboard that allows you to type in file save. Type in SONIC3 and hit start.

7. There will now be a file in the SAVES directory called SONIC3.SRM. This is your save data.

Now if you want to load this save data back into the currently selected SRAM memory bank in then use the load feature and select this file. The directory does NOT have to be called SAVES, however the only way to get the keyboard to pop-up is selecting a directory and hitting the start button.

• Like 1

Blast,

I understand your confusion because it is not very straight forward. When saving an SRAM back-up it is saving the current data from the selected SRAM bank in the options menu to a file. What you are doing is overwriting your ROM file with the save data.

Instead try this:

1. Put SD card on computer.

2. Create a directory called "SAVES" in the root.

3. Now play a game and save. Sonic 3 is a good game because it saves right when you start.

4. Now that your game is saved go to the save/load SRAM tool.

5. Hightlight your SAVES directory and hit START button.

6. You should now get a keyboard that allows you to type in file save. Type in SONIC3 and hit start.

7. There will now be a file in the SAVES directory called SONIC3.SRM. This is your save data.

Now if you want to load this save data back into the currently selected SRAM memory bank in then use the load feature and select this file. The directory does NOT have to be called SAVES, however the only way to get the keyboard to pop-up is selecting a directory and hitting the start button.

StoneAge, you are AWESOME. It seems pretty straightforward now, but without knowing that I had to create a save folder, I was totally lost and frustrated. It works flawlessly and even better than the save management systems on the PowerPak carts I've used before. The experience I had with my PowerPak carts might have been why I didn't quite get it - the save system works differently than the EverDrive MD. I felt like a total dumbass, as I couldn't find anyone posting with the same problem. Thank you for helping me out.

Your explanation was perfect - definitely include it in any manual you put together. If you need any user feedback about what you might want to put in a manual, just ask. I work in interface design and am good at putting myself in the position of the typical user.

I read that Krikzz is working on SMS and Game Gear EverDrives. Any idea of when he'll get a shipment over to you. Are you taking pre-orders yet?

Thanks again!!! You rock!!!

I had another question about the save feature: Do we need to make a different folder for each game's saves?

I only ask because when I go in to save a second file in the "Saves" folder that I created on the SD card, I don't get the option to make another save file, it just seems to save over the original file. So, I'm thinking I should have a "Sonic3Saves" folder, a "PhanastyStar2Saves" folder, etc., in order to organized the save states and store them properly?

Or am I missing something (yet again)? Any information would be great!

I had another question about the save feature: Do we need to make a different folder for each game's saves?

I only ask because when I go in to save a second file in the "Saves" folder that I created on the SD card, I don't get the option to make another save file, it just seems to save over the original file. So, I'm thinking I should have a "Sonic3Saves" folder, a "PhanastyStar2Saves" folder, etc., in order to organized the save states and store them properly?

Or am I missing something (yet again)? Any information would be great!

Highlight the folder name and click start, don't actually go into the folder.

I'm a little out of the loop. When will the SMS Everdrive be available, & for how much $?

And, I'm *just* getting around to setting up my Everdrive & have 2 questions:

1 - What's the minimum recommended SD card capacity to hold the Genesis library?

2 - I have a rev 2.1 PCB & would like to solder on the SMS pause button--to where do I solder the pause button wires?

Thanks!

-Jason

Edited by jasonbar

I'm a little out of the loop. When will the SMS Everdrive be available, & for how much $?

And, I'm *just* getting around to setting up my Everdrive & have 2 questions:

1 - What's the minimum recommended SD card capacity to hold the Genesis library?

2 - I have a rev 2.1 PCB & would like to solder on the SMS pause button--to where do I solder the pause button wires?

Thanks!

-Jason

Master EverDrive is already available in Board Only form at RetroGate.com (Krikzz's store) for $77 + S/H.

We probably won't have them in until early next month.

For technical questions I suggest the official EverDrive forum:

http://www.assemblergames.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=89

I'd just go with a 2GB card. You can fit the entire Genesis, SMS, and 32X libraries on there quite comfortably (as long as you don't include bad dumps and so on), and I don't think the EverDrive supports larger sizes anyway.

I'd just go with a 2GB card. You can fit the entire Genesis, SMS, and 32X libraries on there quite comfortably (as long as you don't include bad dumps and so on), and I don't think the EverDrive supports larger sizes anyway.

Yeah might as well just use the max size of 2GB, you may save $1 getting a 1GB one, but not really worth it. We give 2GB versions with Deluxe because thats the max the EverDrive can handle since it uses FAT format.

• 1 year later...