IGNORED

A strange occurrence....

Mendon

In my living room, we have a 52in Vizio 1080p LCD TV that works excellent and we are very, very happy with; no complaints at all. I used to have my Xbox360 (a black Elite console), along with a PS3, hooked up to it and all was well with the world.

A year ago, I set up a gaming room using a 4yr old Samsung 26in 720p TV and everything worked well. Then Saturday, the Samsung made a loud humming noise and an electrical burning smell was coming from it. I decided to unplug it and get rid of it rather than risk fire trouble of any kind.

So I looked around at a couple stores and found a great deal on a 32in 720p Vizio with 3 HDMI and 2 Component ports. I brought it home, hooked everything up but..... no picture or sound from the Xbox360 using HDMI. My PS3 worked fine on it, so I connected the Xbox up to the same port with the same cable that the PS3 was using and nothing! Tried a different HDMI cable and nothing! Tried the other HDMI port and nothing! I hooked the Xbox up to it using component cables and voila... perfect! Switched back to HDMI and once again, nothing!

I took the Xbox into the living room and hooked it up to the 52in Vizio there and it worked perfectly. I took it back to my gaming room and hooked it back up to the Vizio there and nothing. I played with the Xbox settings but every time I hooked the Xbox up to the 32in Vizio TV using HDMI, I got nothing at all. My PS3 worked with HDMI, a DVD player worked with HDMI, but not the Xbox.

So I decided to take the Vizio back where I bought it and picked up a 720p Sony Bravia for $35 more. Brought it home, hooked everything up using HDMI, and BAM.... the Xbox was happy once more and putting out a crystal clear picture!

Has anyone ever heard of an Xbox just not liking a particular type of TV?????

Mendon

Mendon

Something like that is news to me but I see a couple years ago someone else complained about a similar issue with their Vizio

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080803075305AAKlPrc

Thing is it looks like is was working fine at one time and then stopped. The user doesn't go into details if he ever got it working though and really that's the only instance I found so it doesn't seem like it's a very common issue associated with Vizio and the 360.

In my living room, we have a 52in Vizio 1080p LCD TV that works excellent and we are very, very happy with; no complaints at all. I used to have my Xbox360 (a black Elite console), along with a PS3, hooked up to it and all was well with the world.

A year ago, I set up a gaming room using a 4yr old Samsung 26in 720p TV and everything worked well. Then Saturday, the Samsung made a loud humming noise and an electrical burning smell was coming from it. I decided to unplug it and get rid of it rather than risk fire trouble of any kind.

So I looked around at a couple stores and found a great deal on a 32in 720p Vizio with 3 HDMI and 2 Component ports. I brought it home, hooked everything up but..... no picture or sound from the Xbox360 using HDMI. My PS3 worked fine on it, so I connected the Xbox up to the same port with the same cable that the PS3 was using and nothing! Tried a different HDMI cable and nothing! Tried the other HDMI port and nothing! I hooked the Xbox up to it using component cables and voila... perfect! Switched back to HDMI and once again, nothing!

I took the Xbox into the living room and hooked it up to the 52in Vizio there and it worked perfectly. I took it back to my gaming room and hooked it back up to the Vizio there and nothing. I played with the Xbox settings but every time I hooked the Xbox up to the 32in Vizio TV using HDMI, I got nothing at all. My PS3 worked with HDMI, a DVD player worked with HDMI, but not the Xbox.

So I decided to take the Vizio back where I bought it and picked up a 720p Sony Bravia for $35 more. Brought it home, hooked everything up using HDMI, and BAM.... the Xbox was happy once more and putting out a crystal clear picture!

Mendon

This is an issue I see with my Samsumg LCD TV and my XBOX360 every now and then. Shutting down the XBOX and re-starting usually works. Sometimes, I turn both off before I get them to work.

-GrizzLee

To me, its just plain strange.

With the remarks in this thread, and after viewing posts in the official Xbox360 tech forums and a couple of other Xbox sites, the problem I experienced, while certainly not real common, does happen and has been experienced by others. I don't pretend to know why this happens or who to blame (MS or the TV companies), but to have a PS3, DVD player, and Blu-ray player all work on a particular port using a particular HDMI cable but a Xbox360 not work using the same cable and port is totally, totally weird.

Mendon

Yes its true, its a handshaking issue.

Possibly DRM\type of signal. Last month I got a new Sony Bravia (with 3D support) and my Phililps DVD player will not work on it with HDMI. Take it to my other TV in the bedroom with HDMI and it works fine.

XBOX 360 and PS3 work fine. There's no way around it that I know of since its the TV itself so its good you got another TV.

Possibly DRM\type of signal. Last month I got a new Sony Bravia (with 3D support) and my Phililps DVD player will not work on it with HDMI. Take it to my other TV in the bedroom with HDMI and it works fine.

XBOX 360 and PS3 work fine. There's no way around it that I know of since its the TV itself so its good you got another TV.

DRM....it's such a wonderful thing! The hillarious thing is that it is such a non-issue to true thieves and really only serves to manifest itself as a real problem for honest consumers.

DRM....it's such a wonderful thing! The hillarious thing is that it is such a non-issue to true thieves and really only serves to manifest itself as a real problem for honest consumers.

I completely agree.

Go to MyXbox -> system settings -> Console settings -> display -> black level, then choose "Standard"

This may not be your issue, but green or black screens are often caused by an HDMI protocol issue with the TV

If I still had the Vizio TV I'd give your suggestion a try. I thought I tried changing all of the video settings within the Xbox menu but I may have missed this one.

Thanks for the suggestion, though.

Mendon

I'm not a tech person by any stretch of the imagination, knowing only enough to be dangerous.

So I have to ask.... isn't there a "standard" of some sort for HDMI connecting within the industry?

I mean, its been my experience that anything I connect to my TV's via composite or component or RF etc etc has worked without fail. But am I understanding that HDMI has problems on various TV's with various add-on's? Shouldn't HDMI connect just as perfectly as component or composite?

Just curious.

Mendon

Edited by Mendon

• 7 months later...

Sort of hate to bring this subject back up but I still can't figure out what is going on and whether this is a problem with TV manufacturers or no industry standards for "handshaking" or the fault of Microsoft.......

A neighbor has a Panasonic HD TV (over 50in but I'm not sure of exact size) that works perfectly for all his needs. Over the weekend, he decided to take the plunge and buy his first Xbox360, the Kinect 250gb bundle.

He hooked it all up, using HDMI, and when he turned on the Xbox, all he got on the screen was a "No Signal Detected" message. He swapped around HDMI cables, tried different ports on the TV, but all he got was the same message. He used component cables and it worked fine. Went back to HDMI and "No Signal Detected". He then hooked the Xbox up, using HDMI, to a 32in Samsung he has in the bedroom and the Xbox worked perfectly.

On the Panasonic, he has a DirecTV box, a Samsung DVD player, and a PS3 hooked up and all work perfectly; he's never had ANY problems at all. These devices all work perfectly on his Samsung. But the Xbox will not work on his Panasonic TV using HDMI.

He called Xbox support and all they told him is to check to make sure his cables are connected properly and if they are connected properly, then the fault lies with his TV as "Microsoft universally tests all its products and nothing has been noted regarding a possible problem such as you describe".

Is there anything at all that can be done, such as adjustments to TV or Xbox settings, that might rectify this problem?

This is really, really strange why this problem has cropped up with Xbox HDMI but I've heard of no problems with PS3's (and NO, I'm not console bashing or starting console wars!).

Mendon

Sort of hate to bring this subject back up but I still can't figure out what is going on and whether this is a problem with TV manufacturers or no industry standards for "handshaking" or the fault of Microsoft.......

A neighbor has a Panasonic HD TV (over 50in but I'm not sure of exact size) that works perfectly for all his needs. Over the weekend, he decided to take the plunge and buy his first Xbox360, the Kinect 250gb bundle.

He hooked it all up, using HDMI, and when he turned on the Xbox, all he got on the screen was a "No Signal Detected" message. He swapped around HDMI cables, tried different ports on the TV, but all he got was the same message. He used component cables and it worked fine. Went back to HDMI and "No Signal Detected". He then hooked the Xbox up, using HDMI, to a 32in Samsung he has in the bedroom and the Xbox worked perfectly.

On the Panasonic, he has a DirecTV box, a Samsung DVD player, and a PS3 hooked up and all work perfectly; he's never had ANY problems at all. These devices all work perfectly on his Samsung. But the Xbox will not work on his Panasonic TV using HDMI.

He called Xbox support and all they told him is to check to make sure his cables are connected properly and if they are connected properly, then the fault lies with his TV as "Microsoft universally tests all its products and nothing has been noted regarding a possible problem such as you describe".

Is there anything at all that can be done, such as adjustments to TV or Xbox settings, that might rectify this problem?

This is really, really strange why this problem has cropped up with Xbox HDMI but I've heard of no problems with PS3's (and NO, I'm not console bashing or starting console wars!).

Mendon

I'm not sure how accurate this article is but it may be worth a shot but its kind of old, it sheds some light on how the initial display setting may be the issue (1080p). Like setting the Xbox to 480p then shutting it off and turning it on with the HDMI cord:

http://levelingdown.com/2009/11/20/how-to-fix-the-360-to-tv-no-signal-problem-with-hdmi/

Maybe he can set it to 780p or lower on another TV with HDMI and then switch it back to the other TV.

Have him try diffferent things.

Also make sure he has the switch set to HDMI which I assume he does and he can also reset the display settings

by holding the right trigger and the Y button on the controller:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/916158

Personally my Xbox 360 will reset itself even if I'm in the middle of a game and I switch TV inputs. Also my system does not boot up until I set the TV to the correct HDMI input channel the Xbox 360 is on.

All "HDMI" are not created equal. :lol: For some reason, some of them are more picky, apparently, it's more of a problem on certain budget TV's (like Vizio, though I have no problems with mine, knock on wood)

You could try a new/different cable, some of those are a problem too, especially for walking, I have to plug mine back in every other month or so, but other than that, no real complaints.

Thanks for your responses and suggestions.... much appreciated!

Both the Vizio I bought and my neighbor's Panasonic are 1080p TV's so I don't believe the problem was that the Xbox defaulted to 1080p and the TV's could only do 720p as suggested in the link you posted, Cimerians.

As for trying different cables, Video, I took an Amazon brand, a Sony, and a RCA over to my neighbor's and none of them made a difference. He has $$$$ and used a Monster brand.

Like I said, a DirecTV box, a Blu-ray DVD player, an upscaling DVD player, and a PS3 all worked flawlessly using HDMI on both the Vizio I bought and on the Panasonic my neighbor owns. Yet the Xbox wouldn't. This would lead me to believe, based on my personal experience, that there is something different in the way that the Xbox is handling HDMI compared to what Sony, DirecTV, and Samsung are incorporating. If it was the Vizio or Panasonic TV's we both owned/own, then I would tend to think that there would be problems with one or more of the other devices that were hooked up displaying a signal.

This is twice I've had personal experience with this issue and there are a couple threads on the Official Xbox Tech Forums discussing it. I have no idea what the solution is.....

On a side note, my neighbor was able to return his Xbox bundle to Walmart and get his money back. Its unfortunate that MS lost a customer.

Mendon

This handshake issue doesn't have a whole lot to do with Microsoft specifically. There will always be handshake issues between certain devices regardless of who makes them. There are threads complaining about this sort of thing on forums for every hardware product out there that has an HDMI port.

This handshake issue doesn't have a whole lot to do with Microsoft specifically. There will always be handshake issues between certain devices regardless of who makes them. There are threads complaining about this sort of thing on forums for every hardware product out there that has an HDMI port.

You might be 100% correct.

And if you are, then we as consumers are really in trouble because how many trips to Best Buy are we expected to make in order to purchase & exchange televisions before we get one that ALL our equipment works with?

I had to exchange one new television before I got one that worked with an Xbox and I would be really PO'd if I had to repeat the experience multiple times.

There has to be a better way.

Mendon

Yeah its awful. Years ago I had a cheap HDMI cable from a company I think called Psyclone. It would not work on my HDMI TV and my PS3. Every so often I would get a blank screen and then snow. I bought a different HDMI cable and then it worked fine.

Another time I bought an HDMI switchbox and needless to say I had a lot of problems with getting my 360 and DVD player to respond to it. Now I hook up everything directly.

Another time I had an issue with the port on a new PS3 slim where I could not get a signal on any TV after I moved it to another room and hooked it up to a Vizio...after that it just wouldnt work on any TV. Couldnt explain it. Ended up returning it for another unit at the store.

Its pretty bad. I stick with quality TV's and cables from now on.

TV's I stick with are Sony. End of story.

Cables...I buy these and have never failed me:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0019EHU8G/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=atariage&linkCode=as2&camp=217145&creative=399369&creativeASIN=B0019EHU8G

• 2 weeks later...

Since we are talking about cables....

I buy all of my HDMI cabling and HDMI splitters from monoprice.com. Best prices I've found and the quality is good enough for commercial grade use.

I know this because we buy all of our splitters and HDMI cables from monoprice for use in commercial display. Menu boards, digital signage...etc.

Since we are talking about cables....

I buy all of my HDMI cabling and HDMI splitters from monoprice.com. Best prices I've found and the quality is good enough for commercial grade use.

I know this because we buy all of our splitters and HDMI cables from monoprice for use in commercial display. Menu boards, digital signage...etc.

+1 for Monoprice. I buy all of my cables from them.

Hey.... what do you think of THIS CABLE from Best Buy?????/

WTF?

My father was a cruel man. Cruel, but fair. His face was stern, almost austere; a countenance cut from solid granite. When I was a child, he gave me $5 and said, "Norma, the cupboard is bare. I want you to go buy some magic beans." Flash forward to today, the Year of Pain: 2011, and I am absolutely delighted with this cable. It is a splendid product crafted by one thousand hands, harnessed from the power of Fnord, and is able to restratregaze 4.1 jumbo-ohms on a mag scale of 14-40 synth-ops per second. You can't beat that! 25 years ago, I was a giant foam hand vendor, now I am an entrepreneur, stay-at-home mom, and part-time vomit coach. Get ready to rock with the AudioQuest Coffee 6.6' HDMI Cable - Brown/Black! Do not be afraid to dive into the plasma pool.

Thanks,

"Lisa" Left-Eye "Lopes"

What's great about it: It makes the sun hurt my thoughts less

What's not so great: broccoli

I would recommend this to a friend!

BWHAHAHAHAHA!!!

• Like 1