IGNORED

2600 10s: who owns Pepsi Invaders (Coke Wins)

CincYnoTi

let's make a list...who owns one of these? please specify if yours has a lab loaner label or has no label. thanks,tony

why not tell where you found your pepsi invaders?

i found mine in a thrift store with a $0.90 sticker on it. there were no glue marks where a label should be, so i couldn't resist buying it to find out what game it was. oh, it was half-price day, so i paid $0.45. tough to describe the thrill i got when i plugged it in and saw the opening screen with the P E P S I letters :D :D

there was a second one found in cincinnati at a flea market. sam twiford kept trying to buy it from the shop keeper, but somehow, the deal never happened. the guy finally sold it to someone else, but he couldn't remember to who. the same guy also said he once had a surf's up prototype.

if mattg also found his in cincinnati, that would make three copies found here. there is a coke bottling plant here, so that makes some sense.

from the other pepsi invaders topic in this forum, these people own one:

PEPSI INVADERS (no label)

. marco

. ianoid?

PEPSI INVADERS lab-loaner label

. mattg

. cpuwiz

. marco

. rick weis

anyone know who owns the white box with red sticker?

• 2 months later...

I have been lucky enough to come across 3 Pepsi Invaders which are all from the same source. I was with a friend of mine in a local flea market looking at some Coke merchandice. When the booth owner asked if we needed any help, we said that we were really looking for old video games but couldn't help but stop just to look at all the Coke stuff. He pulled a "Coke Wins" out and said that it was the only game he had and he couldn't let it go cheap. Then he also said that he had another at home still in the box that he would let go for the right price. Turns out that the right price was $10 loose and $25 for the boxed one :D If I remember right he had a family member that was a manager at a bottling facility and his family had 2 of these. My friend still has the loose cart and I have the boxed version. About a year later, this same guy's brother happened to be talking with someone he worked with and they still had theirs (no box though). I paid more for that one and traded it away for several carts I needed.

I got mine from a guy who said his uncle worked for Coke at one point and he and his cousin had one. I forget what I traded for it (not all that much, just a buttload of Colecovision games). I ended up trading it off to Ian for a bunch of stuff. It was only later we found out it was so rare. I still don't regret trading it though, even though it was an UR game it was still a hack.

Tempest

What box?  I thought the game came in a cardboard insert with a coke label on it.

You guys are very lucky.  Only around 200 of these were even made, so coming across multiple copies in Thrift Stores is amazing.

It looks like this:

cokewins.jpg

Hey mine has a ROM. I thought they were supposed to be eproms? Where did this 200 number come from anyway? They made a production run of 200?  

great :( now I can't get it back together.

Adam

The cart was made as a gift for a select few Coca-Cola employees. I can't remember if 200 was the exact number, but it was a very small run (hence the 10 rating).

??? recently caught up with Christopher Omarzu at the Game Developer's Conference in San Jose, CA.

As we typically do, the probing began early and often. We knew Chris was involved with Atari but were not sure which games he had been responsible for developing. Interestingly enough, Chris gave us a list of familiar Atari titles as well as one that didn't quite match our lists:

"Good Luck, Charlie Brown"

"Oscar's Trash Race"

"Big Bird's Egg Catch"

"Pepsi Invaders"

PEPSI Invaders? That got us especially interested. This had become more than just a match the designer to the game project. It seemed as if we were onto something here.

As it turns out, Pepsi Invaders was written for a 1983 Coca-Cola Sales Convention. The convention was attended by all the top Coke Executives. Each exec got a complete Atari 2600 game system and a bunch of games including... Pepsi Invaders! This was the title originally given to the game. How it became Coke Wins is a mystery to everyone including Chris. It's quite obvious that the invaders spell the word PEPSI.

And for those of you who own the game, REJOICE! There were only 125 of these made. It's even more rare than we had imagined.

Here's another interesting tid-bit Chris shared with us: Big Bird's Egg Catch was originally called "Grover's Egg Catch" and likewise Grover was originally called "Big Bird's Music Maker". The programmers were talking one day and they asked themselves, "Why would Grover be catching eggs? That's Big Bird' job, isn't it?" They decided to swap characters and that's how they ended up.

:P

anyone know if this coca-cola convention was held in cincinnati? several copies of pepsi invaders have been found in cincinnati. "convention" probably means people came from all over the country and took the stuff home.

there was a flea market vendor in cincinnati (trader's world) that claims to have given it the name "coke wins". he had one of them and as you know, there is no label and no game title. he called it coke wins because coke always wins the game. sam twiford kept trying to make a deal for that game, but eventually, the vendor sold it to somebody else. at that time, that might have been the only known copy. maybe the guys at digital press have a story of the first discovered copy.

• 4 months later...

from the ebay auction forum:

I just stumbled onto this past thread, and have an interesting story to add.  I bid on that Coke game.  When the high bidder didn't pay (as I now see why), I offered to buy it at $5 above the 3rd bidder's high bid (which would be around $425.  He refused saying he was giving it to a friend to sell in his store saying it's worth $750-1000.  Two weeks later, it showed up again, only in Pennsylvania this time (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...0&category=3537) and with an added pen mark.  I won it for $312, which is pretty funny if I actually get it and it works.  If not, at least I paid by credit card.

i hope to hear from bloatedmonkey when he receives it, that it does indeed work.

• 1 year later...

I hope yall dont slam me for asking this and buming a 1 1/2 year old thread, but I would like to ask a couple of questions about the cartridge for Coke Wins.

>Was the game manufactured with NO label or have the existing ones just lost theirs?

>Also, is the cartridge color white like the box it came in?

It came in a standard original atari cartridge (with the locking pcb protector) with no main nor end label. There is no evidence of any glue residual on the cart and no label has ever been found on existing copies. Inside the cartridge is a production board and ROM. If you open a Pepsi Invaders cartridge with no label and find an eprom inside, that means it is a homebrew reproduction of the game. Some reproductions have had custom homemade labels put on them and have been seen on ebay.

If you want to see a compiled list of owners of this game and other r=10 games, look at this thread:

http://www.atariage.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=15567