IGNORED

Hyperdimension Neptunia

cimerians

got it today.

Let us know what you think after you spend some time with it. The Elder-geek.com review was rather scathing. It kind of dampened my enthusiasm for it. :(

Since you mentioned it, I checked out the review. I knew somewhat to expect after navigating to their front page and seeing they had Marvel Vs Capcom 3 as their cover story and were already praising it as the best game ever.

As for the Hyperdimension Neptunia Review, keep in mind that the reviewer clearly states he gave up on the game at the beginning of the third dungeon. That means he played for perhaps an hour and a half total (although he says late in the review he played for 3 hours).

Complaining about the lack of manual healing consists of pretty much the entirety of the review. The reviewer has played only about as far as I did in a very casual introduction to the game in which I didn't feel like delving deep into the game systems. Despite the reviewer and I playing about the same amount of the game, he's pretty quick to label it "an interactive abortion."

Oh,and the first three starter dungeons were straightforward and boring? OMG! Someone call 9-11! A starter dungeon wasn't a labyrinthine and complicated maze! Who'da thunk it? Does anyone get the feeling that if the starter dungeons were more complex the reviewer would simply change gears and complain that they were too difficult to figure out?

I haven't played enough to give any kind of real review. Maybe this one does suck. But the Elder Geek review is just another example of what I see as a dismissal a RPG just for being a non-Fallout/Dragon-Age/Mass-Effect/etc. game.

Just got mine too. The reviews are kind of bad. I went blind on this one cause its so wierd. I'll have to try it this weekend and see for myself.

Same here. I had been planning to stop buying new games other than the ones I already had pre-ordered. I simply have too many JRPGs and I'm never going to get to them all.

But the concept of Hyperdimension Neptunia was just so off the wall, I couldn't resist it. It made it a must-buy for me.

I think the RPGfan review of the game is the one to go by for this one. It comes out on the slightly negative side, but it's not because it's attacking the genre of the game or making a call for the genre to be extinguished like the Elder-Geeks review is. Even the PSXtreme review is pretty informative, and the reviewer does some name dropping to illustrate some familiarity.

Edited by Gabriel

• 2 weeks later...

A Role-Playing Game That Makes You Pay For Your Party Members

NIS is damned lucky I already have it from the preorder before finding this out. Ar Tonelico 3 is already preordered as well so I'll be getting that later this month, but those are probably the last games I'll be buying from them.

I do not like DLC. Never have. I further more hate it being advertised in the game like a carrot reminding you that you don't have the entire thing you paid full price for.

Edited by Mord

NIS is damned lucky I already have it from the preorder before finding this out. Ar Tonelico 3 is already preordered as well so I'll be getting that later this month, but those are probably the last games I'll be buying from them.

I do not like DLC. Never have. I further more hate it being advertised in the game like a carrot reminding you that you don't have the entire thing you paid full price for.

Thats brutal. I ordered Ar Tonelico 3, I have the 2 PS2 games and they are great. What a shame and such a exploitive thing to do to hardcore fans. Unbeleivable.

Gotta love modern gaming.

Thats brutal. I ordered Ar Tonelico 3, I have the 2 PS2 games and they are great. What a shame and such a exploitive thing to do to hardcore fans. Unbeleivable.

Gotta love modern gaming.

This can't entirely be blamed on NIS America. NIS didn't develop the game, nor were they the Japanese publisher. NIS America just mimicked what was done with the Japanese release. If it makes you feel any better, we got a price break compared to Japan, $1.99 as opposed to 250 yen, though I suppose that's still $1.99 more than free.

The way I see it, though, the two characters being playable is not part of the thing I paid full price for, and I don't particularly mind. They're optional enhancements beyond the game which I don't have to get in order to get reach the end of the game. Now, if these were characters you were required to have in your party for the final battle, that would be different.

onmode-ky

I was still planning on gettiing Neptunia despite the mixed reviews, but this DLC character bullshit convinced me to pass. I'm not really surprised since NIS did the same thing with Cross Edge and Disgaea 3, but 'nickle-and-diming' your customers is bad business when you depend on a niche audience for your survival.

I'm avoiding NIS games from now on. It's too bad, since I was really looking forward to Disgaea 4.

Paid DLC is something everyone has to find their own answer for.

I look at it this way. Is the content I got worth $60? My answer is yes. I enjoy this game.

If it's something I enjoy, I don't mind spending extra money to expand my experience. Will I buy any of the HN DLC? I'll probably buy a few things eventually, because I enjoy the game and I feel it's worth it to pay for a few extras.

I think that's the core difference. I do view these things as extras. Obviously others view these things as mandatory elements. There is a line here. I don't see the idea of paying for Gust as a playable character to be that big of a deal. On the other hand, I felt that BlazBlue's method of making players pay for alternate colors for the already anemic character selection to be ridiculous. It boils down to what you feel is enough material.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Just thought I'd bump this because I read earlier today that there is an upcoming sequel to this game, this time thematically focused on portables.

Been playing it a bit and I also think its pretty good. A friend of mine emailed me today about the sequel coming out in Japan this year.

Seems this game is pretty hard to find now. I cant seem to find it anywhere anymore.

The sequel is for the PS3 and is already available for preorder at Amazon.co.jp, scheduled for release in August:

Hyperdimension Neptunia Mk2 Limited Edition at Amazon.co.jp

There's also a regular edition. Interestingly, the limited edition is currently the 13th best-selling video game product at Amazon.co.jp. Perhaps even more interesting, assorted models (colors) of PSP-3000 take up 4 of the top 10 best seller slots. Not sure if that's typical, but it's certainly impressive.

As for the original Neptunia, I haven't gotten any of the other goddesses in my party yet. Fun game, though, with a great sense of humor. "Road pugilists" and "People say I only do everything" come to mind. Oh, and the NepGaGaGa Trophy.

onmode-ky

• Like 1

Just thought I'd bump this because I read earlier today that there is an upcoming sequel to this game, this time thematically focused on portables.

I haven't started in on the first game yet (Not owning the actual console and all that) but given my distaste for how they did their in-game "dlc" advertising, if I do break down and buy the game, it'll just be the regular edition depending on the cost. Once my boycott walls are up it takes a hell of a lot to break through them so they'll have their work cut out for them. (Personally I just don't see myself bothering.)