IGNORED

Games that were critically panned, but you actually like

Lendorien

So, I'm currently playing through Enchanted Arms, a quirky RPG with a fun storyline, fun mechanics and lots of ugly wrinkles. The critics thought the English voiceovers were terrible and that the game was too JRPG a JRPG. It has a 64% ranking on media-critic.

Me, I really am enjoying it. Despite the fact that the random battles happen a bit too frequently, it has a good pace and the story is a lot more interesting than even a lot of more traditional rpgs that got better reviews. The slogging and battles are interspersed with dialog and cut scenes at a good pace so the battles aren't too grinding.

Either way, I'm liking it and abotu a third into it.

Does anyone have any game like this for the ps3 that they really like but the critics did not?

Edited by Lendorien

Ferrari Challenge was pretty good. I'm not totally in love with it or anything, but I'd place it in the top 3 ps3 racers that we got here in the states. It sure didn't deserve that 6.8 score from ign.

Heck, the tutorial involved blasting around Fiorano in a 430 with Tiff Needell. It's borderline epic.

Sure everything after that is a little bit of a letdown in comparison, but what wouldn't be?

It's feature list checked all the right boxes too. Damage, force feedback, 16-player online multiplayer, livery editor, weather. While some of them could have benefited from additional fleshing out, none of them were totally half-assed. It was also nice to see something besides 'the usual' tracks.

Later PS3 titles from Eutechnyx haven't been released here in the states, but their upcoming NASCAR 2011 game will be. If it keeps any of the serious tone from their earlier games, count me in.

Edited by Reaperman

I've mentioned on many occasions how I feel that Cross Edge was criminally slandered. (or is that libel? Oh well, you get the idea.)

I feel the Koei Warrior games are always given the short end of the stick. I enjoyed Fist of the North Star (60 metacritic) a lot more than Bayonetta (87 metacritic), Darksiders (82 metacritic), or Castlevania: Lords of Shadow (85 metacritic).

It's not on the PS3, but I'd pick Warriors Orochi 2 (44 metacritic) over Bayonetta (either the 360 or PS3 version) any day. It just plays better and doesn't stop to load every time I punch.

I think Resonance of Fate (72 metacritic) got ripped off a bit. I think it will be one of those games which ends up largely ignored in it's time, but highly revered in the future.

Ever notice that when a game is on both the PS3 and 360 that the PS3 version averages about two points lower on Metacritic, even if they're exactly the same?

So, I'm currently playing through Enchanted Arms, a quirky RPG with a fun storyline, fun mechanics and lots of ugly wrinkles. The critics thought the English voiceovers were terrible and that the game was too JRPG a JRPG. It has a 64% ranking on media-critic.

Me, I really am enjoying it. Despite the fact that the random battles happen a bit too frequently, it has a good pace and the story is a lot more interesting than even a lot of more traditional rpgs that got better reviews. The slogging and battles are interspersed with dialog and cut scenes at a good pace so the battles aren't too grinding.

Either way, I'm liking it and abotu a third into it.

Does anyone have any game like this for the ps3 that they really like but the critics did not?

I loved Enchanted Arms. I thought it was a great game and the voice acting had some funny moments. The only bad thing about Enchanted Arms were the excessive tutorials at the beginning. Do I really need a tutorial about how to climb a ladder? Really?

You want BAD voice acting? Try Arc Rise Fantasia! The game itself was very good though, and it's been widely panned so I guess it counts for this thread too.

Tempest

I really enjoy Fuel and it only got a 67 on Metacritic.

One game that's famous for being panned is Assassin's Creed 1 and although it is listed fairly well on Metacritic all I ever hear is complaints about it. Personally I loved the first Assassin's Creed game.

I found the first Assassin's Creed super boring myself. I hear the rest were much better but after blowing $60 on the first one I'm real hesitant to try the others myself.

I personally love all the F.E.A.R. games myself, although they usually don't review that high...

How did I forget Two Worlds?

It's actually a game I liked a lot except for 1 thing. I hated the inventory system. I often had to drop something and move things around on the inventory screen to be able to pick up something else. I hated that. Otherwise I quite liked it though....

White Knight Chronicles wasn't bad, but it could have been SO much better. Hopefully they'll fix it in the sequel.

Tempest

I really enjoyed the offline... yeah, maybe not the greatest or most original story in the world but still a fun time. The online was very confusing for me, basically because I seemed to encounter mostly Japanese players and couldn't really communicate with them.

Mendon

Tekken 6 (I initially hated this game until I finally put all settings on easy etc.)

Tekken 6 and Soul Calibur IV didn't do too bad. I think the review scores were about right. The problem is that you have stuff like BlazBlue which is ridiculously overrated.

Really? A fighting game with pixely 16 color sprites, PS2 backgrounds, maybe a dozen characters available, and nothing but the barest minimum features required for a fighting game beats games with extremely high quality graphics, about 4 dozen characters available, character creation and/or editing, and complete minigames in addition to multiple original game modes? Seriously?

Another thing is that Tekken 6 in particular got a lot of internet hate. And in typical illogical internet fashion, that hate came from a completely optional bonus game mode. HOW DARE THEY PROVIDE BONUS CONTENT!

King of Fighters XII was another one that got savaged with a 57 metacritic rating. Personally, I think it and Blaz Blue are about equal at low C grade games.

I just remembered this.

Time Crisis 4 largely got the reviews it deserved. I think it probably deserves lower than it's metacritic of 60, but this is a world where House of the Dead is considered a good light gun series, so I'll let that slide.

Something that was interesting was how many of the reviewers seemed to approach the bonus free roaming FPS mode as the main game mode and the arcade port of Time Crisis 4 as the bonus game. I thought it was very strange. It was like reviewing Streets of Rage 2 for the throwaway versus mode and not for the main scrolling brawler part of the game.

Tekken 6 reviews were the same way. The bonus scrolling brawler mode was reviewed as the main game, and the fighting mode as a mere throwaway extra, even though a customer buying Tekken 6 would typically have the priorities the other way around.

It's kind of like reviewing Tekken 3 for Tekken Ball, or Tekken Tag Tournament for Tekken Bowl. I don't recall any of the Tekkens including a Tekken Force mode EVER being reviewed as if Tekken Force were the main gameplay mode before Tekken 6.

Tekken 6 (I initially hated this game until I finally put all settings on easy etc.)

Tekken 6 and Soul Calibur IV didn't do too bad. I think the review scores were about right. The problem is that you have stuff like BlazBlue which is ridiculously overrated.

Really? A fighting game with pixely 16 color sprites, PS2 backgrounds, maybe a dozen characters available, and nothing but the barest minimum features required for a fighting game beats games with extremely high quality graphics, about 4 dozen characters available, character creation and/or editing, and complete minigames in addition to multiple original game modes? Seriously?

Another thing is that Tekken 6 in particular got a lot of internet hate. And in typical illogical internet fashion, that hate came from a completely optional bonus game mode. HOW DARE THEY PROVIDE BONUS CONTENT!

King of Fighters XII was another one that got savaged with a 57 metacritic rating. Personally, I think it and Blaz Blue are about equal at low C grade games.

I agree. I like Tekken 6 BECAUSE of the bonus content! I thought the mini quest game was rather fun and addicting to unlock stuff. I dont want just a fighter anymore. Since the original Soul Caliber on Dreamcast I need something more to do even if its rather cheezy.

Yeah, I totally agree with the Blazblu thing. 2D Super Nintendo fighters on a modern system for 50 bucks. Yeah right. That should have been a download.

Tekken 6 and Soul Calibur IV didn't do too bad.

I loved Soul Calibur IV, was it panned?

Then again I mostly used the creator editor to make dozens of characters from comics, video games, and movies.

The game play was actually very good too, much more my level of fighting and not so over the top with finger-crushing dragon punch combos needed.

Then again I mostly used the creator editor to make dozens of characters from comics, video games, and movies.

The game play was actually very good too, much more my level of fighting and not so over the top with finger-crushing dragon punch combos needed.

Nah. Not really. I just mentioned it because it and Tekken are somewhat linked in my mind. About the only ones who bashed it were the 2d nazis who insist that any fighting game that isn't 2D and using sprites instead of polygons is a piece of shit. I've noticed that the pay DLC for the game attracts a lot of complaints, but that's at least a debatable issue.

To tell the truth, I was a bit disappointed with SC4. It was something of a letdown after the feature rich SC3. Still, I got used to it and the gameplay sucked me in like it always does. Now if only the Tower of Souls didn't suck so damn much.

I make a lot of custom characters too. I've made Sturm, Laurana, Tanis, and Raistlin from Dragonlance. I have a few characters from my my D&D and other RPG games. It's fun to tinker with, but I miss the extra fighting styles from SC3, and in some ways SC3's costume pieces were more versatile.

Metacritic ranks it at 85, which is actually quite respectable.