IGNORED

The Hermit [UPDATE 1.27; 6:40pm EST]

GratedTopping

For use in the "Win994a" emulator, here's my version of a big text-adventure game from the November 1987 issue of "Compute!". According to the info in the program, I finished everything sometime in 1988 and updated it in June 2000. In June 2009, I edited it further on the PC.

I was just 13 at the time and I think I did quite well. I created my own LOAD program and, from that, you can play the game or read the story first. Also, I put the SOLUTION in a separate file.

I don't know where I obtained the EFONT, but I like it and it surely makes it look more professional.

The main program is a huge 75+ sector file. To fit on the TI -- even with 32k -- I had to place all the data in a separate file and then add commands to the program to load that data.

I really like that I learned of how you can load a program from "DSK.diskname.filename" and the TI will search all disk drives for the program.

I notice that I even made use of how to turn the prescan off; that wasn't done through a program that does that automatically.

I even kept the save game/load game capability. <WHOOPS. Sorry. I guess I was totally wrong and there is no save/ load function. The game didn't have that originally anyway. I meant to implement it, but I guess I wasn't able to due to lack of memory space.>

All of those things were in my original conversion (or from 2000). Any 2009 modifications were very minor and I didn't change much at that time. I guess for another modification, I could put the choice to see the solution into the LOAD program.

This was the biggest translation of a game I did. It's been on the TI gameshelf website for a while and I never mentioned that here (I think).

Hope someone likes it. (-:

NOTE: UPDATED VERSION ATTACHED

Hermit, The v1.2011.zip

Edited by GratedTopping

Very well done indeed! I liked your game very much :) Would you prefer the credits to state GratedTopping or Brian C. Horner? ;)

Hey, Vorticon. Thanks for trying the game!

Hmmm...how do you mean 'credits'? You want to put it for download on a website of yours and mention who it was by? Or were you inspired to create a flashy CREDITS program to put on the 'disk'? :D

I think "GratedTopping" is cool; I remember one person somewhere online in the past told me he thought it was one of the best ID's he's seen.

Very well done indeed! I liked your game very much :) Would you prefer the credits to state GratedTopping or Brian C. Horner? ;)

Hey, Vorticon. Thanks for trying the game!

Hmmm...how do you mean 'credits'? You want to put it for download on a website of yours and mention who it was by? Or were you inspired to create a flashy CREDITS program to put on the 'disk'? :D

I think "GratedTopping" is cool; I remember one person somewhere online in the past told me he thought it was one of the best ID's he's seen.

Actually I'm the creator of the TI Gameshelf site :) I have you identified as Brian C. Horner on The Hermit entry, and was wondering if you preferred GratedTopping instead...

That handle always makes me smile, and also a little hungry :D

Ah, I see. I guess it's common knowledge here who certain identifications belong to. Sorry about that! Did I just send you the game directly in the past or did I post it here? I couldn't find it through a search.

I think it'd be cool to change me to "GratedTopping" at the gameshelf if you want. The main program has my name in it anyway, but that can be modified, too. Now that I think about it, I imagine I could have left those REM statements out. There are only 67 bytes of memory remaining once the main program begins!

Edited by GratedTopping

NOTE: UPDATED VERSION [see first post]

- you can now start the SOLUTION file from the LOAD program

- SOLUTION is edited a bit; had some ":" in DISPLAY AT lines that weren't needed; also,

I removed the CALL SAY statement as that locked-up the "Win994a" emulator

- changed other CALL CLEAR statements to DISPLAY ERASE ALL

- changed the remark statement in the main program to my ID of "GratedTopping"

Yes...the faithful Amiga. It sure does look like that's one of the fonts on that computer. I wonder if I somehow used it from my Amiga, because I liked the look, and made it into assembly on the TI? I don't know how, but I was into that a little bit -- and my brother at the time was more understanding of assembly. Too bad I didn't keep documentation/history of creations then.

Thanks for the info. :)

Edited by GratedTopping

• 2 weeks later...
The font looked familiar. Guess there's a good chance it's based on the Topaz font, and maybe also on the 1985 Amiga implementation (up to Workbench 1.3). Have a look ... (efont first)

Well, I had nothing to do with the EFONT. Turns out that I got it from the September 1987 issue of "MICROpendium". There, you can use it in assembly or in BASIC by entering in the CALL CHAR statements. Good font!

Glad to see over 100 folks have tried "The Hermit" (or at least looked at this posting). :P

Edited by GratedTopping

Unfortunately that's views and not different persons/users - and I suspect it even includes your own views.

Yes, I imagine so (which is why I said "or at least looked at this posting"). I knew that there wouldn't have been THAT many people looking. Still, anything is good.

Edited by GratedTopping