IGNORED

Calling All 400s!

ClausB

7 minutes ago, BillC said:

I believe this was to separate the later GTIA version from the earlier CTIA version.

Oh, I did not know this.  This little 400 is full of surprises.  I do need to get it up to 48k.  Some of my XE carts fail to run in 16k.  Will need to see if tfhh is still making the ram board.

2 minutes ago, Sinjinhawke said:

Oh, I did not know this.  This little 400 is full of surprises.  I do need to get it up to 48k.  Some of my XE carts fail to run in 16k.  Will need to see if tfhh is still making the ram board.

He is. I just ordered one for my 400 from Gavin at Vintage Computer Center a couple of weeks ago. It looks like he's already out of stock again though.

On 5/26/2022 at 8:52 PM, machf said:

I've got a 400 lying inside a bag at the bottom of a drawer, here right next to my desk, which used to belong to a classmate at the university. He gave it to me together with several of his diskettes several years ago. Is it enough to read the S/N, or is the picture a must? I'll have to wait for daylight for the latter...

S/N: AV 236382 043

And here's that Atari 400 which used to belong to my classmate, I finally took it out of the drawer for a couple of pictures today... oh, and jis diskettes, too.

Atari400OscarIMG_6808new.jpg

Atari400OscarIMG_6809new.jpg

AtariDiskettesOscarIMG_6807new.jpg

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I was given an Atari 400 by a friend about a month ago. Had to buy a power supply. Finally got it hooked up to the tv in my bedroom. There was a Centipede cartridge in it. Turned on the Atari, had my tv rescan channels and got a pleasant surprise as the tv found the Atari! Played Centipede for a while. Have ordered, and received, Star Raiders, Missile Command. Star Wars the arcade game is on the way. Today Bought an Atari Basic cartridge and 4 more games, bidding on a 5th. Serial numberis: AV386524 063.

magnus

Edited by magnusfalkirk
  • Like 4

• 4 months later...
2 hours ago, Lando242 said:

These popped up in my area. 8th week of '82 for the 400 and 23rd week of '82 for the 800? These would be later production but they don't have a country of manufacture...

According to the labels they were both manufactured in Sunnyvale, CA.

2 hours ago, Lando242 said:

Huh. I'd always thought they made their stuff in Hong Kong and Taiwan. Maybe I am just thinking of their later machines. I know my 800 XL was made in Taiwan.

Going by the serial numbers reported in the forum most 400/800, and many 1200XL, systems were manufactured in Sunnyvale.

I do have a later production 800 manufactured by Atari Wong/Hong Kong.

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, SlagOMatic said:

NTSC unit, my original that I got for Christmas in 1980 or thereabouts.  🙂

AV 218484

Could not find a date code. Possible it was worn off the badly-worn label under the serial number label, dunno.

atari400.jpg

There should be a date code embossed into the back of the bottom case

I bought it for parts, without a CPU board and a RAM module. So I used a PAL CPU board that I took from an 800 (after an Incognito landed there) and a spare 16K RAM module. And another keyboard membrane. I have no idea if it should be a PAL or an NTSC one. But it works now. 

20230316_180157.jpg

How does the 083 date code translate to month/year?

Edited by Peri Noid
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Peri Noid said:

I have no idea if it should be a PAL or an NTSC one.

The 400U model number(likely the 050 product code as well) indicates this was manufactured as a PAL UK 400, though it may have been modified since.

400P would indicate non-UK PAL, just 400 would indicate NTSC, there may also have been a 400S?(SECAM) model.

I believe the main difference between the 400U and 400P is the encoding of the audio into the RF signal.

Edited by BillC

27 minutes ago, BillC said:

...there may also have been a 400S?(SECAM) model.

From the 8-bit FAQ:

o  Peritel version (France) is the same as the "PAL" version (for PAL B/G
     television) but has a second built-in TV connecting cable for RGB TV
     input.
     - Apparently: Localized modification by Atari France
     - Visual tour:
      http://www.atari800xl.eu/hardware/computers/peritel-atari-400.html
     - Other links:
        - http://www.atariage.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=62346&st=25
        - http://preview.tinyurl.com/ngsxhd8
     - Rare!  See L'Atarien #7 p33 for further reference.

57 minutes ago, MrFish said:

From the 8-bit FAQ:

o  Peritel version (France) is the same as the "PAL" version (for PAL B/G
     television) but has a second built-in TV connecting cable for RGB TV
     input.
     - Apparently: Localized modification by Atari France
     - Visual tour:
      http://www.atari800xl.eu/hardware/computers/peritel-atari-400.html
     - Other links:
        - http://www.atariage.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=62346&st=25
        - http://preview.tinyurl.com/ngsxhd8
     - Rare!  See L'Atarien #7 p33 for further reference.

BTW, Altirra has a monitor mode for emulating this with the 400 and 800 (which also had the same internal adapter board, and later a variant adapter board).

You can select it in: Configure System -> Outputs/Video -> Monitor Mode -> RGB through PERITEL/SCART CA061034 adapter

(the CA061034 adapter is the later one found only on 800's -- but basically the same as the former in terms of output)

My another 400. It was an NTSC machine converted to PAL. Now has an SCCC and works in PAL. It has additional "ATARI / 412" melted on the case. Is it possible to derive year/week from the serial number? No date code on the badge, as you can see. Is it 41-th week of 1982 ("412")?

20230320_105410.jpg

Edited by Peri Noid
  • Like 1