IGNORED

Calling All 400s!

ClausB

My 400 is boxed, but I can get to it relatively easily. I'll test it for GTIA and post the serial this weekend.

Unfortunately, it's not my original 400 from 1982. Got this one off of ebay, and promptly added 48kB to it.

This sucks! I finally dig the machine out and - sticker has been ripped off the bottom. No serial number to post :x

post-650-129631445535_thumb.jpg

There is however, a stamp on the lower case that says "ATARI 7 422"

post-650-129631445578_thumb.jpg

My 400 is boxed, but I can get to it relatively easily. I'll test it for GTIA and post the serial this weekend.

Unfortunately, it's not my original 400 from 1982. Got this one off of ebay, and promptly added 48kB to it.

This sucks! I finally dig the machine out and - sticker has been ripped off the bottom. No serial number to post :x

I've seen paper stickers on the inside of some 400/800's. (stuck to the boards and such). Maybe there's still a copy of the number.

Looks like AV 461?73 datecode 422 to me. That's week 42 of 1982.

No chance of a CTIA in this thing then. This machine is slightly newer than my original one would have been. I got it on 8/12/82 (32nd week). That one also had GTIA when I got it. Fortunately, it had a real keyboard when I got it. I don't remember the date that it got upgraded to 48k, but do remember it was after spending days typing in Caves of Ice, saving to cassette, debugging, all to get the lovely error 147.

I'm sorry, my boxed 400 (same one as listed above) has these markings:

At the "top" of the bottom, is stamped "ATARI / 142"

The serial on the larger label is "AV 210552"

Under that (and placed on before (beneath) the main label) is a smaller label that says "G 141 AV083743-16 3/31 L20 H"

There are no other stampings/labels/stickers on the machine.

Under that (and placed on before (beneath) the main label) is a smaller label that says "G 141 AV083743-16 3/31 L20 H"

Maybe the smaller labels with second serial numbers on yours, mimo's and jacobus's are from repairs or exchanges through Atari service centers? Just speculating.

Maybe the smaller labels with second serial numbers on yours, mimo's and jacobus's are from repairs or exchanges through Atari service centers? Just speculating.

Well, but it's underneath the main label, that's why I wrote that. It is odd though, so I don't know. I'll just get a pic, a pic is worth 1000 words :)

See how the smaller label is below the main label? Like it was applied before the main one? It seems unlikely anyone would have pulled up the main one to stick the other one under it, but...

I don't have a theory on this though. I have no idea.

post-16769-129633090618_thumb.jpg

EDIT: reduced photo size.

...that's why I wrote that.

Oops, sorry, missed that. So what's up with the two serial numbers?

I have no idea... see my new post above with the label picture. The only other info/clue I can offer is that the serial on the box matches the AV 210552 number. And there are actually two serial stickers on the box, about an inch away from each other. Both are the "210552".

Are you sure that stamping says "7" and isn't a "/"? On mine, it's pretty clearly a "/" unless it's stamped lightly and there is no top line to the "7".

So what's up with the two serial numbers?

I have no idea... see my new post above with the label picture. The only other info/clue I can offer is that the serial on the box matches the AV 210552 number. And there are actually two serial stickers on the box, about an inch away from each other. Both are the "210552".

Yours looks a lot like mimo's, though his is PAL. And your top serial number is bigger than the one beneath. Could they be factory remanufactured units?

Yours looks a lot like mimo's, though his is PAL. And your top serial number is bigger than the one beneath. Could they be factory remanufactured units?

Actually, that's what I was starting to think too. Could it be that the serial on the small label was the original serial of the unit? Like they removed the original serial sticker, then printed the original serial on a small sticker, stuck it on, then stuck a new large main label with the new serial on it? Or did they not re-serialize their reman units?

If some sense could be made of the serial system, then maybe we'd know if the bottom serial on mine was an older one. Maybe they had separate serialization for reman units.

Are you sure that stamping says "7" and isn't a "/"? On mine, it's pretty clearly a "/" unless it's stamped lightly and there is no top line to the "7".

Not 100% certain - the top bar of the 7 is a lot less deep. Maybe it was the edge of the tooling and it actually is a /

Not 100% certain - the top bar of the 7 is a lot less deep. Maybe it was the edge of the tooling and it actually is a /

Here's a pic of mine, and I'm as certain as I could ever possibly be that mine is a /. Especially since the characters are filled with silver. I'm even more certain looking at it in real life than I am by looking at this pic.

post-16769-129633907451_thumb.jpg

And I apologize for not just posting all this info in my first post up there... at the time I didn't realize that anything was of interest/significance other than just the serial. Sorry.

Here's a pic of mine, and I'm as certain as I could ever possibly be that mine is a /. Especially since the characters are filled with silver. I'm even more certain looking at it in real life than I am by looking at this pic.

post-16769-129633907451_thumb.jpg

And I apologize for not just posting all this info in my first post up there... at the time I didn't realize that anything was of interest/significance other than just the serial. Sorry.

Definitely a / then.