IGNORED

Snider-Man's 12 DAYS OF ATARI GIVEAWAY - DAY 11((WINNER!!)))

Snider-man

DAY 11 PRIZE:

SniderPrize_Day11.jpg

Mr. Roboto and Berzerk: Voice-enhanced carts, signed by their respective creators, plus the original Berzerk! Today's cart prize has been graciously donated by AtariAge. Thanks guys!

In honor of today's prize, today's contest is a race among everyone who's here. We're going to play The World's Biggest Game of Berzerk - and YOU are Evil Otto! Your mission: To track down and exterminate The Humanoid who is trying to escape through the maze that is The World Wide Web.

Your pursuit of The Humanoid begins at the Starting Line (below), and will pass through three "checkpoints" before reaching the location where The Humanoid is hiding. Each "checkpoint" is marked (1, 2, and 3) and each has a puzzle or quiz that will lead you to the next one. When

followed in order, you should arrive at the finish line.

To make sure you stay on-course, each checkpoint has a "checkpoint word." When these three words are put together in order, it forms a three-word "winning phrase." When you find The Humanoid, identify yourself and input the three-word phrase. This is the ONLY way to win!

First one to successfully track The Humanoid to his hiding place and say the winning phrase, wins the cart package.

There are really no extra rules needed. I will let you know this: Once "The Humanoid" is found, he will leave his hiding spot. If you reach the hiding spot and find no one there, come back to this thread, as a winner has probably already been posted. Don't complain that "There wasn't

anyone there!" That's because The Humanoid has been eliminated and we already have a winner. Just return here to see who it is.

That's about it. Line up Evil Ottos and let the chase begin!

"INTRUDER ALERT! INTRUDER ALERT!"

((Sadly, the stupid pic won't show up here and the URL won't link. You'll have to type it in by hand or cut and paste the URL into your address line. Sorry gang! Go, Go, Go!))

Starting Line puzzle:

www.auctionpix.co.uk/users/ktc110879.jpg

My usual image server was down when I got home, so I had to use this other one. (And I didn't have time to have the Als host the images here.) HOwever, the site shows the images ARE BEING HIT. SOmeone's getting to them. Sorry gang, but a few folks here appear to be able to get to it.

STOP! THE HUMANOID HAS BEEN TERMINATED BY RHINDLE THE RED!

Rhindle the Red was the first "Evil Otto" to successfully track down The Humanoid and has won the AtariAge Berkerk Package. If Rhindle the Red will PM me his name and address, I will get his prize in the mail.

For those who got lost, got hung up, or gave up on-course, here's how the chase was run:

Starting line: The first puzzle in the first post asked you to identify the label art from three Atari carts and to supply their missing serial numbers. The carts and corresponding serial numbers are: INDY 500 - CX2611; SUPER BREAKOUT - CX2608; and REALSPORTS FOOTBALL - CX2668. Takethose numbers and plug them into the URL as instructed and you should have gotten:

www.auctionpix.co.uk/users/thc110868.jpg

This link takes you to Checkpoint #1.

Checkpoint #1: First up, you got the first word of the winning phrase: "Humanoid." Below that was a screenshot that was cut up, scrambled, and rearranged. You could print this out and reassemble it, use a computer art program, or just visualize what was going on. Any way you decided to solve it, you should have ended up with a portion of an eBay page. The "About Me" icon was circled for the ebay user "gameagain." You needed to go to eBay, look up that user, and click on his "About Me" page link. That would've brought up Checkpoint #2.

Checkpoint #2: The second word in the winning phrase was here "Mustn't."

There was a numeric code on the page. Using the obvious A=1, B=2, C=3..Z=26 code I'm so fond of would have revealed the message:

ALT.GAMES.ATARI

SUBJECT: GOING BERZERK

Using whatever newsgroup reader you have (or using the newsgroup reader available at Google), you needed to access the newsgroup "alt.games.atari" and look for the message "Going Berzerk." That message contains Checkpoint #3.

Checkpoint #3: The final word in the winning phrase is "Escape!" You were then told that The Humanoid was hiding on AOL Instant Messenger (AIM) under a hidden screenname. You had to determine his screenname to locate him. (If you didn't have AIM installed on your computer, them's the breaks.)

A series of numbers and letters were at the bottom of the message. Using the names of classic Atari carts as a guide, you should have filled in the missing letters as follows (I added the spaces here so it'd be easier to read):

Hero digdUg veNture advenTure pitFall spIderman carNival oInk aSteroids

fisHingderby

The missing letters spell out "huntfinish" - where The Humanoid was hiding. All that was left was to log onto AIM, contact "huntfinish" and say the winning phrase, "Humanoid mustn't escape!" Nice job of tracking to our winning Evil Otto!

Hope everyone enjoyed the race. This was ...er... "fun" to put together. A Day 12 announcement will be posted in another thread.

I REALLY wish I had known ahead of time that I'd need an AIM account for this contest.

And I posted in the Winner's Announcement....

. (If you didn't have AIM installed on your computer, them's the breaks.)

What more needs to be said? I figured some folks might not have it. Of course, some folks also have only dial-up modems and a computer that has better crunching power than someone else. It just comes down to "WHat can you do with what ya got?"

Man, I was going nuts with this one. The puzzle really slowed me down because I took the time to print out/cut the pieces. I have to say that this was the best contest Sniderman has done. I had the excitement level going that I only get when I find Atari games in the wild. This was just awesome, but I was so disappointed when I signed onto AIM to find that HUNTFINISH was gone :sad: