IGNORED

Capcom’s PSN DRM Forces Internet Connectivity for Bionic Commando Rearmed 2

xg4bx

Users on the popular gaming forum NeoGAF are reporting that today’s release of Bionic Commando Rearmed 2 on PSN contains the same DRM used by Final Fight Double Impact. The game will check that you are signed in to PSN before booting, and if you aren’t connected to the Internet? You’re left right out of luck, the game simply won’t start without an Internet connection. What makes this even more confusing is that Bionic Commando Rearmed 2 does not offer online co-op or a persistent online mode, like with Double Impact. Hopefully Capcom sees the madness of including such an obnoxious DRM in their releases, and patches it out. We’ll let you know if this happens, but I wouldn’t hold your breath.

http://www.psnstores.com/2011/02/capcoms-psn-drm-forces-internet-connectivity-for-bionic-commando-rearmed-2/

I'm NOT buying that crap. Thanks a lot for posting that. I'll spread the word as best as I can to avoid that garbage.

I got burned with Final Fight but maybe this time they mention it in the fine print. "Requires internet connection to play".

By the way another Crapcom downloadable title wolf of the battlefield commando 3 doesnt even work for me anymore. Deleted it, erased the save game re-downloaded it and it still doesnt run. Just black screen.

F~ hate Crapcom.

I was going to avoid it because they have no demo. The 360 version has a trial version so I'm downloading it. It's a fairly large game, 1.41 gb. Being forced to be online is why I'm careful about what Indie games I buy from MS. They all require you to be online to play them.

I guarantee pirates will make a version that doesn't require an internet connection.

The game isn't very good anyway:

http://www.joystiq.com/2011/02/01/bionic-commando-rearmed-2-review/

I wonder if the PS3 being blown wide open had anything to do with this, I wonder if the 360s version is the same as this (as in needing a internet connection to boot the game).

even though i don't personally own a PS3, there is one in the house. i will avoid all games that has DRM like this.

Thanks for the heads up.

Edited by madmax2069

I wonder if the PS3 being blown wide open had anything to do with this, I wonder if the 360s version is the same as this (as in needing a internet connection to boot the game).

even though i don't personally own a PS3, there is one in the house. i will avoid all games that has DRM like this.

Thanks for the heads up.

No, Crapcom was pulling this garbage a long time before the PS3's encryption keys were leaked. Just look at Final Fight: Double Impact's release date and whenever the key leak started for evidence.

Thanks for the heads up.

No, Crapcom was pulling this garbage a long time before the PS3's encryption keys were leaked. Just look at Final Fight: Double Impact's release date and whenever the key leak started for evidence.

Oh ouch, looks like they need to rethink what they are doing.

but anyways i have looked around the net and a few people has said the 360 version does not have this. but no matter i will stay away from both versions and final fight, and maybe capcom in general. did Activision pull this stunt with a few games and just recently removed it from those games ?

Besides MS doing this bullshit for all of the Indie games sold through the Xbox Live Marketplace, Capcom is currently the only company I can think of that has forced an online connection for any console games. Of course there are too many companies to name that have done it on PCs.

Oh ouch, looks like they need to rethink what they are doing.

but anyways i have looked around the net and a few people has said the 360 version does not have this. but no matter i will stay away from both versions and final fight, and maybe capcom in general. did Activision pull this stunt with a few games and just recently removed it from those games ?

I don't know if Activision did but Capcom I believe pulled it out of Final Fight after massive complaints about it not being explicitly announced in the game description that it phoned home on you. So you can see they clearly rethought what they were doing and made sure that this time they put a note on the description that it requires you to sign into PSN (ie: be online) in order to start the game.

This is one of those cases where people really need to vote with their wallets. If Capcom makes money on this POS it's going to start becoming the defacto standard. If you want to avoid that, don't buy anything like this.

This is one of those cases where people really need to vote with their wallets. If Capcom makes money on this POS it's going to start becoming the defacto standard. If you want to avoid that, don't buy anything like this.

I wish I could plaster that statement on every billboard and video game website in the world.

did Activision pull this stunt with a few games and just recently removed it from those games ?

Ubisoft are the ones that removed it from some of their games. EA the publisher for Bioware's games is doing a periodic check. Dragon Age 2 for the PC which is coming out next month will demand a connection "every so often". Basically you don't need internet to play the game MOST of the time.

Bullcrap.

• 2 weeks later...

Though I hate this method, this really isn't anything new, Cyber. MMO's Everquest for the PC and Everquest Online Adventures for PS2 did the same thing, as did Final Fantasy Online and Phantasy Star Universe for the Xbox360, I believe.

Mendon

Edited by Mendon