IGNORED

Topic for newbies or veterans returning to Atari

Philsan

Hi.

Yes, in Europe at the time it was not easy to get software and documentation.

I would take a PAL computer, not only because you live in a PAL country, but because nowadays there are a few games that work in PAL mode only.

A NTSC machine is useful if you want to play old games with the faster speed and the colors NTSC countries have.

Thanks for that. Out of interest - if you I did get an NTSC machine, how easy would it be to use it here? Is it just a case of buying some kind of adapter, or does it even matter nowadays with modern digital TVs?

Thanks for that. Out of interest - if you I did get an NTSC machine, how easy would it be to use it here? Is it just a case of buying some kind of adapter, or does it even matter nowadays with modern digital TVs?

European CRTs TVs work with NTSC signals (apart very old ones)

I think modern LCD TVs work too, but especially latest models don't like old signals (PAL or NTSC).

If your LCD TV works with PAL it should work with NTSC too.

• Like 1

@Philsan, this is a great resource for all the beginners like me putting their first steps in the world of A8 machines. Well done and always updated!

The guys on here are some of the most knowledgeable if not the MOST knowledgeable people out there, while this thread is a MUST for folks new to the Atari (I hate the word newbies) there's also a vast sea of info in the main forum below the sticky threads like this.

Basically, take advantage of the whole place, I don't think there's anything you could ask Atari 8 bit computerise that can't be answered.

Also, its a very friendly place all around..

Paul..

PS, which part of the South are you from, I'm originally from the North but we holidayed in the South all the time.

Edited by Mclaneinc

The guys on here are some of the most knowledgeable if not the MOST knowledgeable people out there, while this thread is a MUST for folks new to the Atari (I hate the word newbies) there's also a vast sea of info in the main forum below the sticky threads like this.

Basically, take advantage of the whole place, I don't think there's anything you could ask Atari 8 bit computerise that can't be answered.

Also, its a very friendly place all around..

Paul..

PS, which part of the South are you from, I'm originally from the North but we holidayed in the South all the time.

Hi Mac/Paul,

thank you for your welcome post - I know you and your deep knowledge of Atari stuff from the Sector, another forum. So it's great to find you here.

I just started to browse through this forum and found myriads of gems and jewels. Definitely the place to be when you want to learn more about the A8 platform (and not only) or have an hw issue to solve.

David

p.s. I'm not in UK, I'm in Switzerland, just like Philsan. The only place in the South of England I once visited is Brighton and found it lovely. :-)

• Like 1

Wow, my memory...I knew the name was familiar but for the life of me I was forgetting The Sector..eek..My apologies...

As you know I'm not on there now....Disagreements will happen..

Seriously tho, my knowledge is nothing compared to these guys, you have a tech question then there's a gang of them ll able to answer stuff in ways I could only imagine....I appreciate the kindness and If I've helped then that brings a smile to my face as always..

I'll always try and help but its great to know there's a wall of knowledge on here to fix any mess ups I make :)

Great to see you on here, its always a pleasure to see nice folk on any forum..

Paul..

• Like 1

p.s. I'm not in UK, I'm in Switzerland, just like Philsan. The only place in the South of England I once visited is Brighton and found it lovely. :-)

When I was a kid, I visited England twice and stayed two months near Brighton. Coincidences...

Wow, my memory...I knew the name was familiar but for the life of me I was forgetting The Sector..eek..My apologies...

As you know I'm not on there now....Disagreements will happen..

Seriously tho, my knowledge is nothing compared to these guys, you have a tech question then there's a gang of them ll able to answer stuff in ways I could only imagine....I appreciate the kindness and If I've helped then that brings a smile to my face as always..

I'll always try and help but its great to know there's a wall of knowledge on here to fix any mess ups I make :)

Great to see you on here, its always a pleasure to see nice folk on any forum..

Paul..

Dear Paul,

thank you for your words.

I've heard you were not on the Sector and I am sorry about that, your contribution was always timely and precious for anyone.

Always appreciated your spirit there (both technical and human sides) and here, as far as I've seen browsing through the pages of AA.

See you around :-)

David

• Like 1

When I was a kid, I visited England twice and stayed two months near Brighton. Coincidences...

I was there three summers ago, and the weather was sweet and sunny. The amusement park on the platform above the open sea was our favorite pastime. :-)

Would go back there instantly. :D

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I've connected a SIO2USB device to my 600XL and started Respeqt on OSX, it looks like Respeqt connects to the usb device, but now what?

How do i boot a loaded disk? I tried holding option and turn on the xl, but i just get the selftest? And if i turn of th 600, respeqt gives a timeout error?

Serial port speed set to 19200."
Emulation started through standard serial port backend on 'tty.usbserial-AN1M7PKC' with DSR handshaking.
Serial port read timeout. 0 of 5 read in 103 ms"
Edited by jowi

Seems to be an OSX or Respeqt issue... installed Aspeqt on Windows (that is, Windows using Parallels Desktop on OSX) and it works :)

If you like me back in the day, never worked with floppies and disks on an Atari... this is pretty mindblowing. Never knew there even were things like dos... i only loaded stuff from cassette tapes directly from the basic prompt i remember. And i had one cartridge, Donkey Kong :)

I have a lot of catching up to do...

I've connected a SIO2USB device to my 600XL and started Respeqt on OSX, it looks like Respeqt connects to the usb device, but now what?

How do i boot a loaded disk? I tried holding option and turn on the xl, but i just get the selftest? And if i turn of th 600, respeqt gives a timeout error?

Serial port speed set to 19200."
Emulation started through standard serial port backend on 'tty.usbserial-AN1M7PKC' with DSR handshaking.
Serial port read timeout. 0 of 5 read in 103 ms"

Seems to be an OSX or Respeqt issue... installed Aspeqt on Windows (that is, Windows using Parallels Desktop on OSX) and it works :)

It's not an OS X or RespeQt issue, as I used both together flawlessly for several years. Probably a handshaking issue.

Another newbie question :) i've been playing with aspeqt and respeqt, and was able to load dos 2.5 (as a folder image) so i could run dos from my 600XL. Now, in aspeqt and respeqt, you can have 15 drives in the gui, but if i read into working with floppydrives, i understand you could only daisy chain 4 floppy drives in real life, and not 15?

Also, how can i 'switch' floppy drives? You can only boot from drive 1, but if done so, and i have e.g. a game loaded in drive 2, or an exe, how do i go to drive 2 (or 3, or 4 etc) and start it?

standard drives get set 1-4 you need to modify to get other drive numbers.

you have to modify some DOS to get more than two drives. All outlined in the manuals or on the forums.

I'm sure it's documented to the max, you only have to find it ;)

But if there can only be 4 drives, how come aspeqt etc. offer 15? How does that work?

spartados X does 15 drives and other DOS have been modified as well, the real physical drives can be modified to do drives above 4. PBI drives, floppy board, and hard drives as well as new sio/pbi solutions can handle up to 15 as well. I am not sure what is being asked.

Edited by _The Doctor__
  • Like 1