IGNORED

Topic for newbies or veterans returning to Atari

Philsan

Hello Phil,

the given URL for SIO2USB (Abbuc-RAF) shows only the order page, more of interest for Atarians who already bought (or who want to buy) the hardware could be the page with manuals, firmware, drivers and other software which can be found here:

http://home.arcor.de/grasel/files_e.htm

http://home.arcor.de...sel/files_d.htm

Maybe you can include these URs also (the URL`s for SIO2SD and SDrive already lead to a page where one can find manuals and software)...

-Andreas Koch.

Edited by CharlieChaplin
  • Like 1

I would definitely describe myself as a noob in this area. I have a 65XE PAL. I am lucky to have an SIO2SD interface. I am curious if there any good RPG's or games with depth(hidden or otherwise) that I can play. I am curious about obscure games perhaps as I have a good knowledge of most of the 'classic' titles such as Star Raiders and all that...

Appreciate the help!!

I need some help understanding what I can do with all the different flash devices available for the computers. My biggest question is between the AtariMax 1/8Mb carts and their MyIDE II. I think I have the SIO2SD understood (and have one ordered), but input how it compares with the others would also be appreciated.

Can someone explain the difference and benefits between these? I've asked on the AtariMax forum, but never got a response.

EDIT:

Please note that I know absolutely nothing about the Atari 8-bit computers. I have just got my first 800XL and am looking forward to learning all about it.

Hey guys I was trying to play some of the ultima rpgs. when asked for a player disc, I am not sure what to load into one of the drives. I am using sio2sd. Any help would be awesome! thanx!! and happy Holidays.

Never played those games but I see that they have a player disk.

With SIO2SD you must assign it to a virtual drive and then when you need to load it swap it from virtual drive to real drive.

• Like 1

Hey Philsan,

Thanks for the reply. Here's my situation. I picked up an awesome Lotharek Sio2sd. But I could not get it to boot the Sio2SD.xex no matter what I did. So I formated the sd, and reflashed with 2.5. Now it boots fine into the sio2sd menu. I am just not sure if 2.5 had virtual drives? and I cannot seem to be able to get back into the bios upgrade menu anymore. Do you have any suggestions?

thanx for you time!!

Hey guys I was trying to play some of the ultima rpgs. when asked for a player disc, I am not sure what to load into one of the drives. I am using sio2sd. Any help would be awesome! thanx!! and happy Holidays.

~S

Depends on the Ultima. In Ultima 2 there's a "Player Disk" that you get with the game, I think it's Disk 2, you need to make a copy of this disk because the player disk is where all your player data is saved and it's one character per player disk so if you want to have multiple characters you need to make copies of the disk.

When the game asks for the disk, put in disk 2 into D1 and press ESC. You need to make sure the disk isn't set to read only.

I think Ultima 3 and beyond will create a player disk, in this case just insert a new disk and let the game set it up for you.

• 1 month later...

Here's a stupid question: With an SIO2SD, how do you save files? Does it let you create virtual blank disks?

Not a stupid question.

You can attach a blank disk image like the one attached

or

you can use SIO2SD "Empty disk" mode feature (ATR file created automatically during format command) - I haven't tried this feature so far.

BlankDisk.atr

• Like 1

Thanks, River! I'm assuming once you start saving files to the blank disk image you can rename it through the SIO2SD interface?

So with multiple virtual drives you could load programs in drive 1 and keep a blank in drive 2, for example, for easy and quick saves? That would be be much more convenient than the old days of swapping disks in a single drive. Heh.

Speaking of this, do you know of a good resource to lean about the A8 DOS ?

I'm currently mostly using them as games machines and I'd like to expand a bit the use.

I only use the classic Atari DOS 2.5.

Here you can download the manual: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/31250838/Atari%20DOS%202.5%20XF551.pdf

The most powerful DOS is SpartaDOS X: http://sdx.atari8.info/index.php?show=en_introduction

Thanks, River! I'm assuming once you start saving files to the blank disk image you can rename it through the SIO2SD interface?

So with multiple virtual drives you could load programs in drive 1 and keep a blank in drive 2, for example, for easy and quick saves? That would be be much more convenient than the old days of swapping disks in a single drive. Heh.

Exactly. Or, if the program doesn't support more than one drive, you can put program disk in drive 1 and blank disk in virtual drive 1 and swap them.

You can find basic SIO2SD intruction on my website.

BTW, River (Patroller) is not my name but the rank achieved thanks to my 2,500 posts...

My name's Phil.

Exactly. Or, if the program doesn't support more than one drive, you can put program disk in drive 1 and blank disk in virtual drive 1 and swap them.

You can find basic SIO2SD intruction on my website.

BTW, River (Patroller) is not my name but the rank achieved thanks to my 2,500 posts...

My name's Phil.

LOL. I'm an idiot. I looked too quickly. Sorry, Phil. And thanks for the help!

Signed,

Space

Edited by WestofHouse

When an SIO2PC program says it has printer emulation, what exactly does that mean? Does it print to screen on your PC? To your printer?

So you've got the answer for APE, here's the answer for AspeQt.

- It allows you to use your PC printer to print from your Atari.

- The software captures Atari's "P:" device output (because printer commands and data goes through the same SIO port used by SIO2PC device) and displays it in a window. From that window you can click to the print button to print the output through your PC printer.

- It allows you to print either in ASCII or ATASCII.

- it allows you to save the printout to a PC file if you wish.

- It can strip line numbers from a source listing, so that you can import the source to a cross-platform Atari development environment (IDE)

- You can see the output in ASCII and ATASCII side-by-side.

- Currently there are no EPSON MX-80 or 1020 emulator, it uses Windows printer drivers.

Edited by atari8warez