IGNORED

Topic for newbies or veterans returning to Atari

Philsan

No problem. I will post updated photo's of the 130XE when it's fully restored to health.

Key is on its way. Postage too trivial to mention. All the keyboards I have of this type are rather yellow, however, so you might want to slosh a bit of 40 vol peroxide on that key when it arrives.

Is it possible to add an SD card reader inside an Atari 8 bit or ST computer? I suspect there are plenty of such topics already covered on this forum, but the database of messages and threads on the this site is vast. A shortcut link to the appropriate discussion area would be much appreciated. An SSD of laptop drive would also be an interesting alternative if an SD card reader is a non starter. Thanks in advance.

Edited by slartibartfast229

You can put SD card readers in the ST line. In the past, external models

like the Satandisk, Ultrasatan and GigaFile have been offered up.

http://www.lotharek.pl/product.php?pid=90

Jookie is working on a new item, the CosmosEx, that will offer several

upgrades in one, and fit into the internal floppy drive bay:

http://joo.kie.sk/?page_id=384

http://www.atari-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=26088&start=75

I've got an Ultrasatan in my STacy:

post-5822-0-18170000-1401829975_thumb.jpg

post-5822-0-39781700-1401829987_thumb.jpeg

but I'm pretty sure I'm going to replace the Ultrasatan with the new

CosmosEx. :)

• Like 1

attachicon.gifTime with STacy02.JPG

attachicon.gifSTacy - 1.44 meg floppy and Ultrasatan.jpeg

This looks very interesting. I may well invest in one of these. I can't see how to pay (and how much any project costs) on his website....

In the Atari Forum message thread, IIRC, 65 euro's was bandied about. In the

past, after you had signed up on the waiting list, you'd be notified when its

ready and paypal was used.

If you're serious about getting one, make sure you join the waiting list and fill

it out completely and accurately.

AFAIK, right now Jookie is working on the DB19 problem (as in a lack of a good

reliable source for them).

HTHs.

Interesting that he's just using a Raspberry Pi and building an interface to the ACSI port. A PBI version would be pretty sweet for the 8-Bits. :-)

• 2 weeks later...

In the Atari Forum message thread, IIRC, 65 euro's was bandied about. In the

past, after you had signed up on the waiting list, you'd be notified when its

ready and paypal was used.

If you're serious about getting one, make sure you join the waiting list and fill

it out completely and accurately.

AFAIK, right now Jookie is working on the DB19 problem (as in a lack of a good

reliable source for them).

HTHs.

Good. I will act on that now.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi folks - I've been an Atari guy since I was a teenager in the early 80's. I have a bunch of old 8-bits that I gathered up over the years and recently pulled out of storage to being playing around with again. Has anyone with a Mac used Ray's (atari8warez's) SIO2PC and 10502PC products with either the unsupported Mac version of aspeqt or with SIO2OSX? I'm thinking I'd like one of Ray's devices but I'll be running it with my OS X if possible.

Edited by DrVenkman

OK, here are the updated photo's as promised. Cleaning the key caused the letter on the top of the cap to fade badly, so I used a 5mm Letraset dry transfer to bring it back to life. A thin layer of liquid floor polish was hand painted over this to seal and protect it. Thing is, it's now somewhat more prominent than the rest of the keys..... ;-)

The power reset switch on the side has been painted matt black.

post-39249-0-63782100-1404310749_thumb.jpg

post-39249-0-61463900-1404310752_thumb.jpg

Edited by slartibartfast229
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Hi folks - I've been an Atari guy since I was a teenager in the early 80's. I have a bunch of old 8-bits that I gathered up over the years and recently pulled out of storage to being playing around with again. Has anyone with a Mac used Ray's (atari8warez's) SIO2PC and 10502PC products with either the unsupported Mac version of aspeqt or with SIO2OSX? I'm thinking I'd like one of Ray's devices but I'll be running it with my OS X if possible.

I don't know about Aspeqt but SIO2OSX works well. I used it with an $10 FTDI FT232RL TTL serial<->USB breakout board from Sparkfun. Think of it as a single-chip SIO2PC interface. Easy to wire into an SIO cable or mount inside Atari. You just need the FTDI USB serial drivers for OSX and SIO2OSX running. Works beautifully. Just need to wire up RX, TX, Ground and RI (to SIO command pin). This is the most reliable SIO2PC interface I've used so far.... and the easiest to put together.

https://www.sparkfun.com/products/718

These are even cheaper and should work as well:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/3-3V-5-5V-FT232RL-FTDI-USB-to-TTL-Serial-Adapter-Module-for-Arduino-Mini-Port-/291163303530?_trksid=p2054897.l4275

• 2 weeks later...

attachicon.gifTime with STacy02.JPG

attachicon.gifSTacy - 1.44 meg floppy and Ultrasatan.jpeg

Wow that's cool. My dad had a stacy w/ a Spectre GCR and some PC emulator box that plugged into cart port. Damn thing would run anything. He actually started a business selling cases and rechargeable NiCad battery packs w/ chargers for the Stacey. He did ok until Atari Computer went belly up and Sanyo stole his charger IC design because he failed to patent it quick enough.

I'd love to get him a STacy for Christmas one day but I don't think I could find one for a reasonable price.

So....if I have a 5200 (which I do), is there any real reason to not get an 8-bit computer if I'm primarily interested in cart-based games?

5200 and 8-bit computer hardware are almost identical. The 5200 is basically a 400 with no keyboard, funky ROMs and a strange cart slot. If you like the 5200, chances are you'll like 400/800/XL/XE series.

The primary difference is 5200 joysticks are analog (awesome for Star Raiders) and the 8-bit computer joysticks are digital. Technically the 8-bit computers could support analog joysticks but the software isn't there.

Porting between the 2 is actually pretty easy.

Wow that's cool. My dad had a stacy w/ a Spectre GCR and some PC emulator box that plugged into cart port. Damn thing would run anything. He actually started a business selling cases and rechargeable NiCad battery packs w/ chargers for the Stacey. He did ok until Atari Computer went belly up and Sanyo stole his charger IC design because he failed to patent it quick enough.

I'd love to get him a STacy for Christmas one day but I don't think I could find one for a reasonable price.

Huh, he wasn't the one behind the Dragon stuff for the STacy was he?

I started a thread about it some time ago, here:

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/210102-dragonware-stacy-battery/

You can still occasionally find a STacy for sale. If its in any kind of

working order at all though, it will probably go $250-400.00. They're

a bit of a collectors item these days. :)

Edited by DarkLord

5200 and 8-bit computer hardware are almost identical. The 5200 is basically a 400 with no keyboard, funky ROMs and a strange cart slot. If you like the 5200, chances are you'll like 400/800/XL/XE series.

The primary difference is 5200 joysticks are analog (awesome for Star Raiders) and the 8-bit computer joysticks are digital. Technically the 8-bit computers could support analog joysticks but the software isn't there.

Porting between the 2 is actually pretty easy.

Okay, let me rephrase it...I really don't care about the porting, I'm talking...pretend I'm a video game nut in 1982, 1983...and I have an Atari 5200. But I'm just into gaming, don't care much about productivity software, etc. Just want, for argument's sake, cartridge-based games. Would an Atari 8-bit computer be overkill, or is it worth having in addition to a 5200?

Edited by Dauber

The 8-bit computer would have more cartridge titles available and the hardware is essentially identical. Main difference is that games don't support analog joysticks on the 8-bit computer. The computer is also more versatile and has more RAM.

Definitely worth picking up an 8-bit computer. More goodies to play with. And since an SIO2PC is so cheap to build, disk-based games are very easy to get going as well. Or you could pick up a 1050 or SIO2SD.

• 3 months later...

Need your help please.

I am trying to move the trailing spaces/dots in strings (right to left direction).

(It can be looked at as removing preceding spaces/dots (left to right direction).

There are several ways to remove spaces from the string, but the problem is that I do not want to flip them (copy them to another string in backward order) as this will reverse the letters too.

- I wish to move the spaces from one side to the other.

- The letters order must be intact (shouldn't read : GNITSET.TSUJ)

- Faster and neater routine (for long strings)

The following listing -in addition of being clumsy-, it will leave one dot/space

10 DIM S$(20),D$(20)

20 S$="........JUST.TESTING"

100 I=LEN(S$)

110 POSITION 4,10:? S$,I

120 X=1:V=1

130 IF S$(X,X+1)<>".." THEN D$(V,V)=S$(X,X+1):V=V+1

135 X=X+1

140 IF X=I THEN D$(LEN(D$)+1)=S$(X):GOTO 160

150 GOTO 130

160 FOR X=LEN(D$)+1 TO 20:D$(X,X)=".":NEXT X

170 POSITION 4,12:? D$,LEN(D$)

2q2lqwj.jpg

Thank you

madi

Edited by Madi

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I have read the OP and understand the the 800XL and 130XE are the best Atari computers to pick up for gaming purposes but... they are a hell of a lot more expensive to pick up than the 400!

What would I be missing out on if I bought a 400 versus an 800XL? Or a 600XL? (I am finding those cheaper too - admittedly, I am looking on ebay...)

Thanks!

Edited by marlowe221