IGNORED

I hate ethernet ports

HammR25

I had the ethernet port on my 360 arcade die on me. Now the ethernet port on my 360S died on me. My replacement arcade will connect to the net just fine and so will my 360S but only in wireless mode. I've only had the 360S about two months so it should still be under warranty.

Wow, I must be pretty lucky. I can't say I've ever had an ethernet port break on me.

But on the subject of hating connectors, I hate RCA and S-Video. RCA only carry one signal, so to do anything meaningful you need a large number of them. Why couldn't we have used a single self-contained connector instead? (like the Ninty/Sony multi-av / HDMI) S-Video on the other hand, is just plain poorly designed. I hate those kinds of connectors. The jacks wear out too easily and the connector pins are way too exposed and are easily bent. Blah...

Never had a problem with an ethernet port, per se. I have had problems with schmucks ripping out the ethernet cable and breaking off the little latch that clicks it into place.

And don't forget if you ever pull a loose ethernet cable, that little plastic latch will instantly seek out & snag on another cable nearest to it. The anti-snag cable boots are nice, but kind of hard to disconnect at times.

At least it was easy to get an RMA. I just went to xbox.com and when through the menus. I figured it was going to force me to call them but it didn't. I just put my problem as "other", typed it in and the system gave me a shipping label. I still have my previous coffin so that'll be easy too.

I've never had an ethernet port die on me, but I suppose they can get power spikes just like other ports, especially if you have hundreds of feet of it running around (it's just one big ass antenna after all)

Wait, how does your arcade wireless work? I thought those were a plugin adapter for the ethernet port or something?

And don't forget if you ever pull a loose ethernet cable, that little plastic latch will instantly seek out & snag on another cable nearest to it. The anti-snag cable boots are nice, but kind of hard to disconnect at times.

Reminds me of a joke article I saw waaay back, about the Navy SEALS using serial cables as grappling hooks...

I've never had an ethernet port die on me, but I suppose they can get power spikes just like other ports, especially if you have hundreds of feet of it running around (it's just one big ass antenna after all)

Wait, how does your arcade wireless work? I thought those were a plugin adapter for the ethernet port or something?

This is the wireless on the 360S. The wireless on it is separate from the ethernet port.

I got my machine back today. It's literally the same machine unless MS did some magic to make my wireless controller control it without syncing it up. This gave me a bad feeling because it was "fixed" on the MS website in one day. I tried to get into Xbox Live and guess what.....it wouldn't let me. Later I was able to connect for about 30 seconds and got booted again and then couldn't get back on. It still works just fine wirelessly. I'm gonna guess they ran some sort of test on the console, it passed and they shipped it back.

I'll call them tonight after I get home but I'm not sure if that's worth my time. I doubt it changes what they do at the service center.

This is the wireless on the 360S. The wireless on it is separate from the ethernet port.

I got my machine back today. It's literally the same machine unless MS did some magic to make my wireless controller control it without syncing it up. This gave me a bad feeling because it was "fixed" on the MS website in one day. I tried to get into Xbox Live and guess what.....it wouldn't let me. Later I was able to connect for about 30 seconds and got booted again and then couldn't get back on. It still works just fine wirelessly. I'm gonna guess they ran some sort of test on the console, it passed and they shipped it back.

I'll call them tonight after I get home but I'm not sure if that's worth my time. I doubt it changes what they do at the service center.

sounds to me like its either your ethernet cable, or maybe settings in your router. but something is telling me it has to do with your network more so then your ethernet port on your console.

That's what I'm thinking too although I didn't change anything when it stopped working.

Wires can do freaky things, i had to have a tech replace a cable line because it was showing errors with the signal (the cable looked fine, the connections are clean), a dead spot in one of the contacts (on the head) of the Ethernet cable could have developed. some of the wires in the Ethernet cable could have a hair line fracture ( some of these cables are brittle, and can bend only a few times), one of the wires connecting to the head could have a bad connection. resistance in the wires can cause errors in the data.

normally you don't have to do anything for anything to stop working and this includes wires.

I use to have a Netgear router, twice a week it would somehow turn the NAT setting to strict even though it still showed as open in the router settings, but i could always connect to live but just not find online games, eventually the router died and i had a backup to replace it. i have ran into a bad cable a few times, one of the cables i bought new would not work (on anything), and one went bad after a few years of use (plugging in and unplugging can cause a few things to happen over time). Networks are great when they are working correctly and correctly configured, but once something goes wrong it can be a PITA as you are seeing.

Detecting a bad cable can be tricky without the correct gear. I have a cat5 cable tester to check if the cable is ok. But i guess you don't have one. A method i use if i don't have a cable tester is using a multimeter to check each pin with the corresponding other pin.

But a lighting hits can cause a lot of trouble. Phone lines and ethernet hardware are very delicate when it comes to lighting.

Or do you own a power over ethernet router?

Edited by Seob

• 2 weeks later...