IGNORED

TI Invaders

GratedTopping

:thumbsup:

So, I'm not sure if I posted this before, but here it is.

"TI Invaders", the best "Space Invaders" clone, with the rare SHIFT 838 cheat-mode! Once you press SHIFT 8, the animation on the title screen will pause but you'll still need to enter in the rest of the code.

Use it to first select slow speed (Y/N). Then, pick your start screen (00-40). Slow speed only affects the movement of the invaders and they won't speed up their decent. You'll move the same, saucers are the same speed, and all missiles launched or dropped move the same. The word TEST appears next to your score.

It's in "Win994a" .TIcart format and works fine. I have no idea where I located the binary code, but I created the cart through the "Win994a" emulator.

Does anybody have an actual cartridge of TI Invaders with the SHIFT 838 intact? It is was ever released that way, it must have been in a very, very early batch of cartridges.

TI Invaders RARE (WITH SHIFT 838 CHEATS).zip

Edited by GratedTopping

Correct, TICart files created with Win994a can not be loaded by Classic99 or any other emulator per the Win994a emulator author's wishes. The files are encrypted as best as I can determine, or at least compressed.

For what it's worth, all the TI Invaders carts that I used to have worked with the cheat, was it really rare or is it only rare now?

Edited by Tursi

Correct, TICart files created with Win994a can not be loaded by Classic99 or any other emulator per the Win994a emulator author's wishes. The files are encrypted as best as I can determine, or at least compressed.

For what it's worth, all the TI Invaders carts that I used to have worked with the cheat, was it really rare or is it only rare now?

I never knew of it in the day. Never read about it any magazines, newsletters, or heard from user-groups. I think it was always rare. These days, I know I've checked out so many carts for sale on ebay, asking the seller if he could see if his Invaders had the cheat code; no luck yet. I'll still keep at it 'cause I really want one of these.

Edited by GratedTopping

Hmm... just bad luck I think. It was mentioned in lots of places - even out in the boonies of British Columbia I ran across it. And I guess I had good luck back in the day with a cart that worked - I've just tried the two I have here and they don't seem to have the cheat. Interesting!

• 2 years later...

I've seen this before. It says ">>-- Cart conv by Tursi --<<", so it should be an EA5 program converted to GROM for emulation with Tursi's utility MakeCart.

The disk version source is available at ftp.whtech.com/games with the cheat around page 19.

That's exactly where the cheat is located. I found the source code the other day here:

http://www.99er.net/download2/index.php?act=download&id=186

I started coding it in E/A, but, looking at the example that comes with the E/A, Tombstone City, there are several source files. I have a hunch Invaders needs to have its source code split up into different files as well. Examining the code (and I am a bit of a novice at assembly), I can't seem to see anything that would imply delineation between different source code files. Any thoughts on this?? I too would like to have a "cheatable" TI Invaders, even if it means code the thing from scratch :D. Thanks!

The source in text is here. :)

Sweet, thanks man! That'll save me a bundle if I wind up trying it on emulation- at the moment I using a physical system, not an emulator. I did however, figure out the solution to a huge source - simple as:

COPY "DSK#.FILENAME1"

COPY "DSK#.FILENAME2"

etc....

:mrgreen:

<off to get back to coding> :-)

Edit: Though, if I could get PuTTY to talk to TE/II with this USB to serial link I have, I may be able to send it from this computer to the TI ;-)

Edited by RobertLM78