IGNORED

The Sega Genesis has the worst cartridge port, ever.

keilbaca

So, I go to play Virtual Racing and my Everdrive tonight. I purchased a Genesis 3 from Cash n Culture being I didn't have one, thinking, oh hey this would be a perfect portable little device for taking to my girlfriend's house to play some Sonic.

So I fire it up, no startup logo. I play with the cart a bit, clean it with rubbing alcohol, and I get the sega starting screen to come up, and that's it.

So I'm like ok maybe its not compatible with the Everdrive. I looked online, seen that it was... so then I'm like ok maybe its just a fluke, lets try my Virtual Racing. Nope, same thing.

I then decide, ok whatever, I finally have a/v cables for my Genny 3/2, lets try my Genesis 2.

That thing doesn't boot up at all, either game.

So I dug out my Genesis 1, and that one worked fine. Dug out my other genesis 1, not booting.

Is there any way to refurbish these cart connectors back to new? I've tried rubbing alcohol, 2000 grit sandpaper, then 200 grit sandpaper. Nothing, still no boot.

Just a note, Virtua Racing will never run with a genesis 3.

Oh I didn't know that. Thanks for the info :)

But, its documented that the Everdrive does... and that acted the same way.

Its just overly frustrating...

EverDrive works only if you enabled Genny3 mode. If you don't have that feature or its not enabled it won't work.

EverDrive works only if you enabled Genny3 mode. If you don't have that feature or its not enabled it won't work.

Wow, really? I had no idea... is there a way to kick it to Genny 3 mode without using a Genny 1 or 2? Just curious.

you sure are having bad luck. I'd try using DeoxIT Barring that, you could try bending the pins outward with something like a dental pick.

Tried bending the pins out, and now I have to find a new cart slot <_<

I tried using a needle, and it wasn't really thin enough...

Wow, really? I had no idea... is there a way to kick it to Genny 3 mode without using a Genny 1 or 2? Just curious.

EDIT:

According to Igor I was incorrect. The menu system should still work no matter what, even on a Genesis 3. You need to enable Genny3 mode with a Genesis 3 to get the games to play.

you sure are having bad luck. I'd try using DeoxIT Barring that, you could try bending the pins outward with something like a dental pick.

Tried bending the pins out, and now I have to find a new cart slot <_<

I tried using a needle, and it wasn't really thin enough...

Ouch. I'm sorry to hear that.

It might be time to just hit the marketplace and see if someone can give you a good price on a tested working one... There are a few auctions on eBay for Genesis 3 systems that say they are tested working and don't have any bids yet that have low starting bids.

The Genesis 3 doesn't connect a number of lines to the cart port that are used by such things as Virtua Racing and the 32X. There are mods on the net showing how to connect the lines from the ASIC to the cart port so they work. If you're really interested in getting the Genesis 3 to work, you'll need to mod it. Most folks find it easier/cheaper to just use a Model 2 or Model 1.

And mbd30 is right. NES is the worst design ever.

But they got it right with the SNES which rarely has any problems with regard to getting games to work. Sometimes you have to blow into the cartridges and that's about it. But I notice the shoulder buttons on the controller becoming less responsive. I'd like to find a decent replacement and not some horrible knockoff with stiff buttons and short cord packaged as an official SNES controller (which is what I got last time I bought a replacement pad from the local used games store).

Maybe it's just me, but I consider the Genesis Model 3 to be no better than one of those many clones that are flooding the market. No 32x, no CD, does it even work with the Master System adapter? Also, no stereo sound? No thanks.

Seems like the only thing it has going for it is the size, which really means nothing to me.

I just want to add that the Genesis 3 isn't made by Sega. It's cheaply produced by Majesco. I've never owned one, but I do own a Genesis 1, Genesis 2, 32X, CDX, and X'Eye, and have never had any problems.

And mbd30 is right. NES is the worst design ever.

I must have terrible luck then. Sounds like I should go with a Genny 2 then, I had no idea that Sega didn't make the Genny 3.

I'll hit up the marketplace, also Shaun said he'd dig one out for me. At the rate I'm going, it doesn't hurt to have a couple spares...

Maybe it's just me, but I consider the Genesis Model 3 to be no better than one of those many clones that are flooding the market. No 32x, no CD, does it even work with the Master System adapter? Also, no stereo sound? No thanks.

Seems like the only thing it has going for it is the size, which really means nothing to me.

Actually it may be even worse than some clones. I think some clones now can play Virtual Racing and I don't believe the Genesis 3 can.

the genesis 2 is the worst option of the three. the sound is horrible (i dont have youtube access at work, but look up some sound comparisons between genny 1 and the genny 2).

Apparently some Genesis 2 revisions are worse than others, and some versions of Genesis 1 are bad too. http://www.sega-16.com/forum/showpost.php?p=161951&postcount=1

You want the Genesis 2 with the 3/4 motherboard.

Ugh, really? I had no idea there was that much of a difference in sound...

I'm not too worried, I'm not *that* big of a Sega fan, I just want something that's a bit more lighter than the Genny 1 to carry that I can use the Everdrive with.