IGNORED

Gran Turismo 5

HammR25

I thought they fixed the issue with the game locking up on people a long time ago but I can't play the game tonight because it locked up before it started and then when I did finally get in it locked up while I was trying to get into a particular professional level race category.

Guess I'm done playing this game. I have no idea what to do at this point. I deleted all the game information and reinstalled it and that didn't help. I'm wondering if the new firmware caused this since I don't have the original hard drive in there anymore and haven't for a long time.

I haven't had GT5 lock up on me in some time (though I haven't played much since 3.56).

It does often leave me stranded in online lobbies with broken controls, though. Result is almost the same, kill the game (home button still works) and start over. 'Starting over' meaning sitting through minutes of agonizing initial load times, and wading through clumsy menus with resource-hogging backgrounds.

GT5's just a broken game from top to bottom that's clearly never seen a proper playtesting cycle. Hopefully the next patch will fix some of its problems, but since it took 5 years to get to where it is now, I have little faith in that.

Edited by Reaperman

I got SuperCar Challenge in the mail yesterday and the brakes weren't working very well in that game so I fired up GT5 to see if it was a wheel problem or a game problem. Of course that's when the game locked up so I never really got an answer to my question. I guess I'll have to fire up Dirt or Formula One Championship Edition to see if those also have the same braking problem. Right now I'm not happy at all with SuperCar Challenge. The game is practically undriveable with my Fanatec wheel. I have to dial up the deadzone to get rid of some oscillation and the FF is just weird.

The brakes really aren't so hot in GT5 either. On my logitech, it seems to help if I push the brake all the way down before (or during) each race. Maybe it's a calibration issue. Even after doing that, I've found that with ABS 100% off GT5's braking is extremely touchy even after heavily experimenting with brake balance. I've heard the fanatec's fanciest pedals offer some adjustability that really helps GT5. The heck with that though, ABS set to 1 or 2 hides almost all of the braking issues quite well at the expense of some fun.

A shame you're having trouble with Supercar Challenge though. I really like what I've seen of the sound design in that game. I wish all of its competition would take notes about how to make high performance cars sound properly savage. Having to dial in extra deadzone on a fanatec wheel may reflect a game design choice to eliminate the 'built in' deadzone in a some common logitech wheels. May want to inquire over at the Eutechnyx forum for settings too. The Dev types actually seem generally approachable there.

Damn fine sound (except for the crashes):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7Z1uLmQ0V0

Edited by Reaperman

I feel like a moron right about now. I decided I should look at the disc and see if it was dirty or something. I turned it over and somehow I'd managed to smear something on it. I'm not even sure what the stuff was. I'm thinking it might have been carmex. I got a paper towel, put water on it and cleaned the stuff off then dried the disc with a paper towel and put the disc in my PS3. After the game reinstalled itself it played fine.

post-8459-129734239869_thumb.jpg