IGNORED

Program and file sizes

Opry99er

Greetings... I have a question for you guys, maybe you can help me out... I am trying to calculate exactly how large my files and programs are in my current game project... TI99Dir gives me the following information...

LOAD      16
FORLINK   16
NEWFORO   66

Are these kilobytes??? If so, I'm gonna need a TON of diskettes... I'm hoping it's not kilobytes... This is just one of 6 worlds, and my entire code for this world isn't even in place yet... This would be 98 kb, so I've only got another 82k left on a DSSD diskette for other stuff... textfiles, other programs, etc. Any info would be greatly appreciated. =)

Greetings... I have a question for you guys, maybe you can help me out... I am trying to calculate exactly how large my files and programs are in my current game project... TI99Dir gives me the following information...

LOAD      16
FORLINK   16
NEWFORO   66

Are these kilobytes??? If so, I'm gonna need a TON of diskettes... I'm hoping it's not kilobytes... This is just one of 6 worlds, and my entire code for this world isn't even in place yet... This would be 98 kb, so I've only got another 82k left on a DSSD diskette for other stuff... textfiles, other programs, etc. Any info would be greatly appreciated. =)

No, those are sectors, with are 256 bytes each. Every file has at least 2 sectors, because 1 is used for tracking.

So your load program is around 4k, and the NEWFORO file is just over 16k.

Adamantyr

Great to know. =) Thanks alot my friend. By that math, a conservative estimate of my disk requirements is 2-3. Once all the text, bitmap images, programs, assembly support for each world, speech (Willsy... =) We still good on that? hehehe)... It's looking like 2-3 worlds per diskette is going to be about the best I can do.

The framework is really starting to come together. With the asembly support routines in place now and the menu system coming together, I feel like I'm getting somewhere. =)

It's worth noting that TI99Dir does not include the FDR (File Descriptor Record) in its count, only the actual file size. So when you copy to a diskette, it will take one more sector than TI99Dir lists. (If you directory the file on a real TI, it usually DOES include the FDR).

So to get the size in kilobytes, add 1 then divide by 4. ;)