IGNORED

faire info pinned thread or web site..

marc.hull

Would it be possible to Pin a thread about the upcoming fair with information about dates, hotels, travel etc ? Barring that is anyone willing to host a website with the info ?

Seems that unless you are an old yahoo groupie the info can be hard to come by.

I would be happy to host a website for this. I can do Windows or Unix hosting.

Would it be possible to Pin a thread about the upcoming fair with information about dates, hotels, travel etc ? Barring that is anyone willing to host a website with the info ?

Excellent..... Faire is Nov 5, with festivities the 4th and the sixth. Best Western University Plaza is pretty much Hotel central. I'd say run with it and we can add as we go....

Excellent..... Faire is Nov 5, with festivities the 4th and the sixth. Best Western University Plaza is pretty much Hotel central. I'd say run with it and we can add as we go....

Here is the bummer, I guess: I do not do design, I am just an admin (run the servers.) Do we have a domain registered to do this? If not, the CHC site might be a better idea.

EDIT: And, Mother of God! $140 per night for the hotel? I am hoping I will be able to stay with a friend in Chicago...

Edited by OLD CS1

Here is the bummer, I guess: I do not do design, I am just an admin (run the servers.) Do we have a domain registered to do this? If not, the CHC site might be a better idea.

EDIT: And, Mother of God! $140 per night for the hotel? I am hoping I will be able to stay with a friend in Chicago...

I bet Owen or Mike or Matt or a host of others could design a slick website... Any one ???

This is exactly why we need the web site. I found the triple A rate to be $128. There is also a best western in Morton Grove just north of the location @ $68 per night. Hotel and airline rates fluctuate a bunch and with many eyes watching we could at least reduce the overall costs and perhaps attract more people.

Yep... $68 sounds great. =)

I could add a Faire page to Opry99er and link it everywhere... but it won't be a dedicated site. I don't have the money or time to develop an entirely new .com website....

What I'd like to see is a nice flashy page with scrolling photo slideshows and links to hotels and the library. It'd be easy to do. I'd like to have a list of probable demonstrators and perhaps a partial list of demonstrations... (Like TurboForth, SIDBlaster, Realms of Antiquity, etc)

If you guys want me to do this--- add a page to Opry99er, I'd be happy to. Just describe in detail what you want to be included and I'll do my best. =)

The url will be something like www.Opry99er.com/TIFaire

Let me know. =) I could get started today and have something up by tonight. However, if you guys want a dedicated .com with the bells and whistles, I haven't got it in me right now. =)

I do not have a website, per se. So if we can come up with a domain, I can get it registered and hosted on my stuff, and provide whomever with the access necessary to fill it up.

In regards to airfare, I am looking at only $230 from Florida right now into Midway. Seems like a good deal.

Okay... I've got the skeleton page up right now... There's not much there... but I plan on adding links to the hotels and a picture collage to brighten it up quite a bit. =) REMEMBER... THIS IS JUST THE SKELETON!!! It looks pretty lame right now, but it's up. Let the suggestions begin!!!

http://www.opry99er.com/tifaire.php

I can't say... All I'm saying is that he asked me to pull the page, so out of respect, I'll pull it.

The Faire needs a promotional site... But I don't foresee me hosting it. I don't yet understand exactly why he wanted me to pull it down--- in sure there are logical reasons.

What the F. Is the "international" TI community exclusive?

No man... I'm sure it's nothing like that. This Faire has been done the same way for years and years... It is still successful.

Those guys have their own way of doing things-- They've earned the right to do whatever they want, and apparently this idea crossed up some wires somewhere.

I can't say... All I'm saying is that he asked me to pull the page, so out of respect, I'll pull it.

The Faire needs a promotional site... But I don't foresee me hosting it. I don't yet understand exactly why he wanted me to pull it down--- in sure there are logical reasons.

Sounds like a pinned thread here would be the next best thing.

Those guys have their own way of doing things-- They've earned the right to do whatever they want, and apparently this idea crossed up some wires somewhere.

I respectfully disagree. It has been virtually impossible for me to find information on the Faire, and I had to ask someone here. I re-sub'd to the Yahoo! list, and am still awaiting moderation. IMNSHO, this is just an exercise to maintain control over whatever for whatever purpose. I refer to earlier discussions about proceedings, table arrangements (or something of the sort,) etc.

I agree with most of that. However, I do maintain that if the president of the CTIUG asks you to take down a page that addresses the Faire, you don't cause a fuss. I would like to continue development of the page... I spent about an hour working on a really nice collage pic of the Faire, TI related screenshots, etc.

In any case, I refuse to get pulled into the politics of it all. I just won't host the site.

I agree that you should pull it down at his request, but I also expect that it's fair to understand why. I'd already bookmarked the page so I could get the details later without asking Hal every time I think that I need to go check airfare. :) He didn't give an explanation? Maybe let him know you've taken it down but that a number of us wonder why (you can certainly use my name if you like, maybe others will also volunteer their names to add weight?)

I'd like to see a centralized information point of some sort.

Well, I had intended on making it interactive--- a Q&A comment box for Faire-related subjects and a mailing list for updates and announcements.

Hal wanted to call me tonight at 7 via Skype and talk about it--- but I'm at my sister's place playing with my TI gear. I find myself organizing and cleaning every time I get a chance to come here and play with my stuff... First hour organizing, second hour messing with disks and continuing my Tunnels of Doom game I started a year ago. :). 2 hours--- that's about all I get... Once a month or so of "visitations". :)

I do maintain that if the president of the CTIUG asks you to take down a page that addresses the Faire, you don't cause a fuss.

I will concede to honoring the request. I would just prefer that the president appreciate that there is interest beyond his close control. The situation seems reminiscent of watching "Kitchen Nightmares" and listening to owners and chefs talk about how great the food is, customers do not complain, etc.

That said, I will reserve further comment so as not to set off a political wildfire. I believe I have made my position known at this point. Thank you for trying. I will continue my endeavor to attend this year.

Hey, I'm with ya, Marc. I'm not upset or angry... I just want there to be a real location for people to gather info... just like you do, hence your desire to start this thread.

I only have issue with the cease and desist order... I'm sure Hal has his reasons, so that's that. I respect him and I trust that his reasons are valid... even though it makes absolutely no sense to me at this point.

It's no big deal, really. Either the CTIUG will build their own website, Hal will allow someone to host the info, OR nothing will happen and there will be no website. Any way it goes, there's info to be had... you just have to sign up for the Y! crap. =)

I'm thankful for and grateful to the CTIUG for doing the Faire every year. Just wish they'd modernize a bit. I've never attended, so I have no room to talk.