IGNORED

The Halo games....where to start?

Lord Helmet

To enjoy the story to the fullest, it will probably be best to play Halo 2 first. But if you don't care as much and just want some good gameplay, then Halo 3 will be a fine place to start.

OR.. you could start again completely from scratch. Play Halo Reach first (a prequel to the first game), then go to the original Halo and work your way up from there. :)

Just in case anyone is interested, according to Joystiq...... CLICK HERE.... the HD remake of Halo is coming on Nov. 15th, the 10th anniversary of the original release.

Mendon

Thanks for that, made my day:)

I would say just start with 2. That is, unless it's been a long time since you've played through 1. The first one has great replay value imo.

If you want to play the campaign,then I'd suggest starting with the first and going from there. You won't miss anything really if you don't play the old games, but it's a lot of fun to sit down and play all the games in a row. (though you could play reach first, as it's a prequel to Halo in a way)

If you're going to play online, I'd suggest going straight to reach. Each game has a few levels and modes all their own, but for the most part, there will be an "inspired by" knock off of your favorite level on whichever game you choose.

All the games, with the exception of the newest ones can be had for really cheap now, so unless you don't think you'll be a fan of the series, then yeah, I'd say get them all, and start with the first.

Just in case anyone is interested, according to Joystiq...... CLICK HERE.... the HD remake of Halo is coming on Nov. 15th, the 10th anniversary of the original release.

Mendon

I hope to god that they don't change anything else then just update the GFX and controller changes. If they screw around too much with the gameplay mechanics (like what was done with halo 2 from halo 1) it will be a game that i will return. The only reason why i played Halo 2 was because it was online multi player and most of my Halo 1 tournament team mates played it (halo Fridays).

they screwed up the gun mechanics (guns would not reach as far as they did in halo 1), duel wielding weapons. did not get damaged or die after falling. Halo 1 in my opinion was the best version of halo.

Edited by madmax2069

Thanks for the replies guys. Honestly I have such a backlog of games I may never get around to Halo again...but we'll see.

YOU HAVe nothing to lose playing Halo 2 first. It takes about 15 hours and Halo 3 and Reach are not really much better. I haven't played through Reach, but it's all a similar experience.

Other franchises have so much improvement, one after the other, that you might skip the earlier games (Assasin's Creed- or very controversially, Fable), but Halo is pretty much a formula that has worked.

Mendon

Holy crap, how did I miss that story?

Personally id play through them all. They're fun games and not too long. Id take a break between them though, one after the other would get redundant.

Aw, you can't skip the first one. It introduces everything so nicely, and it's really impressive for when it came out.

I agree. The story was pretty well laid out in the first (Still my favorite of the series... could be the nostalgia factor). IMHO, the sequels were a bit mroe nebulus on the story.

-Grizz

Halo

Halo 2

Read Fall of Reach

Halo 3

In that order more or less if you want a full appreciation of the original trilogy's story. I have yet to play Reach so I have no idea how much it incorporates from the book but Halo 3 had tons of references to the book that were probably nonsensical to people who didn't read it.

• 2 weeks later...