IGNORED

OT: Amiga transfer?

Opry99er

My buddy Hank Mishkoff asked me to inquire if anyone here has an Amiga they still use and if they have it set up for transfer to PC... he has some old floppy disks that he wants to recover and OmniFlop doesn't support the Amiga format. Any hel would be greatly appreciated!

/me points at self

Just ONE Amiga?

There's utilities around to convert floppies to ADF, and others like DOS2DOS that can read/write MS-DOS 720K floppies as well as format them.

Of course the main problem is getting them from internet to Amiga in the first place, so DOS2DOS is a prerequisite. Or alternatively do the transfer via null-modem cable and utility to do that.

Easiest option is for someone with DOS2DOS to just mail a copy to whoever needs it - then they can do the rest themselves.

Another option is to use 2 PC drives to create ADFs from Amiga disks.

It's actually probably more cumbersome and less reliable than other ways - the first drive holds the Amiga disk and the second drive needs a normal PC floppy which is used to generate the sync timing.

I tried it and got a working WB copy out of it, but I'd not trust it as being 100% reliable.

A meager "collection" by extreme Amigoid standards. No pics handy, but I will see if I can work some up.

Amiga 4000D

CyberStorm MK-III 50MHz 68060 w/UW-SCSI

128MB on accelerator, 16MB on motherboard

IBM 18GB UW-SCSI hard drive

Picasso IV SVGA video card

X-Surf 3cc 10BaseT network card

Plextor UW-SCSI CD-ROM

Zip 100 drive

Cocolino PS/2 mouse adapter w/optical mouse

Connected to Dell 2001FP 20.1" LCD (shared with Windows machine)

Amiga 1200

Blizzard 1260 50MHz 68060 w/SCSI module

192MB on accelerator

4GB compact flash drive (hard drive replacement)

Netgear PCMCIA wireless NIC

Wacom tablet

Cocolino PS/2 mouse adapter

Internal HD floppy drive

External scan-doubler/flicker-fixer

HP 15" LCD

Amiga 2000

Blizzard 2060 50MHz 68060

128MB on accelerator

MegAChip 2MB Agnus video upgrade

Ariadne II 10BaseT NIC

Spectrum 28/24 SVGA video

Microway AGA-2000 scan-doubler/flicker-fixer (in video port)

A2091 SCSI card, with 6MB Zorro-II RAM, and holds 4GB hard drive

HD internal floppy drive as DF1: (DF0: is internal DD)

Connected to Dell 2001 FP 20.1" LCD (shared with C128, TI-99/4A)

Amiga 3000 - stock

(just picked this bad-boy up, haven't had much time with it)

Amiga 500+ (Rev 8 mobo)

CSA Derringer 50MHz 68030

32MB on accelerator

HD internal floppy drive (DF0:)

Scan-doubler/flicker-fixer in Denise socket (cannot remember make/model)

(This one is in a kind-of limbo between a GVP A500+ SCSI controller and AdIDE with CD card -- the AdIDE and Derringer do not fir together under the keyboard, so I have set to work on a CPU socket skewing module to move the pair towards the back of the case without interfering with the SD/FF.)

Amiga 1000

GVP A530 Turbo 50MHz 68030

8MB on accelerator

4GB narrow SCSI drive

256kb memory expansion

FastPALs upgrade

(This poor bastard has been in pieces for the past four years after an attempt to begin an upgrade project which was terminated by a sudden landlord dispute.)

I put each to good, though sporadic, use. The 4000D is a pretty daily machine. The 2000 is for sound, programming, and what-not. The 1200 works great for games and some graphics (AGA is okay, but not as good as SVGA, so the Wacom may be moving) and compiling since it has the most memory (though slowest drive interface.) The 500 is a mosey-about computer for show, experimentation, and whatever I feel like. I want badly to put an accelerator in the 3000 and use it for something.

And I have a couple of CD-32s. One which I play on occasion, and one which stays boxed. I also have one or two A600s which are in a box somewhere. Not sure what I will do with those, if anything.

do me a favor, would ya? send me your eMail address... I want to pass it on to Hank and have him get ahold of you...

In case any of you weren't aware, Hank Mishkoff was a TI programmer. He worked on the original Editor Assembler package for TI and wrote the music for Tunnels of Doom. =)

Cool guy

In case any of you weren't aware, Hank Mishkoff was a TI programmer. He worked on the original Editor Assembler package for TI and wrote the music for Tunnels of Doom. =)

I thought the name looked familiar. I read an interview about the music for "Tunnels of Doom" and "The Attack" not long ago. PM on the way.