IGNORED

2011 Midwest Gaming Classic March 26th-27th

Retro Rogue

>Everything from the Galloping Ghost Arcade - I wasn't familiar with it, now I'm going to have to make a road trip and spend a day there. I loved that they brought a Simpsons Arcade machine, a game that has sadly never seen a home port.

It came out for the Commodore 64 and the PC actually.

Ahem, Midwest Gaming Classic really needs to be extended another day. Big Bang is four days ... why can't MGC be three? They claim there's not enough volunteers...but how'd they staff Big Bang for four?

>Everything from the Galloping Ghost Arcade - I wasn't familiar with it, now I'm going to have to make a road trip and spend a day there. I loved that they brought a Simpsons Arcade machine, a game that has sadly never seen a home port.

Ahem, Midwest Gaming Classic really needs to be extended another day. Big Bang is four days ... why can't MGC be three? They claim there's not enough volunteers...but how'd they staff Big Bang for four?

It's not just volunteers, it's also the fact that with three days you actually have four days for the show when you account the day spent on setup. And with the people involved in vending/events/etc., we're far less likely to have people being able to take Thursday off of work to come in to set up their stuff. It's hard enough getting people in early enough on Friday and most people are there to at least 2am setting up. Likewise, big bang has a little more specific area of focus than MGC. Unless you've been on the other side of putting these shows together, you'd have no real perspective on what it takes to coordinate a show that covers consoles, computers, video coin, and em coin/pinball - all evenly and in the depth we try to. Most usually specialize in one or the other or have a few "also's". You also have the issue that you're really talking about mostly evening for Friday, since 95% of our attendees are local and wouldn't be off until after the 5pm work grind.

Not to mention, we'd need a much large attendance (10,000 at least) to justify the added expense and work.

Particular favorite highlights:

The museum / classic console area.

Glad you liked it. Had a lot of people chip in content including AA regulars Tempest, Thanatos, Ax, and BassGuitari, as well as the VCF-Midwest guys and ECCC guys.

Tried to really work on creating some ambiance this year as well, and went for an early 80's arcade feel.

post-160-0-58776000-1301385116_thumb.jpg

The bizarre appearance of the Bill Paxton pinball machine.

That was designed from scratch and hand built by Ben Heckendorn as part of his competition last year against Jerri Ellsworth (hence it being in the Ben Heckendorn Experience room). He also had the work in progress Lost pinball as well.

post-160-0-28156500-1301385119_thumb.jpg

I was somewhat tempted to ask about buying the Warlords machine...but it's for the best I didn't pursue that avenue just yet. :)

I wanted that as well but just didn't have the money. It was in gorgeous shape, and I hadn't seen on in person since the early 80's. Was sold on Sunday.

post-160-0-02464400-1301385126_thumb.jpg

How were the speakers?

I can't speak for all of them, but I thoroughly enjoyed listening to Ralph Baer and Ted Dabney on Saturday - It'd be awesome to meet those guys in person!

Corey from 8bitclassics recorded almost all the speakers and is slowly putting them (and other video) on his site. Here's the Ralph Baer interview conducted by yours truly:

http://www.8bitclass...t-MGC-2011.html

I love that you think this (it means you love the show!) -- but it just isn't possible right now and probably won't be unless we switch the show dates to the summer, which is pretty unlikely. It's a combination of a ton of things, including volunteers and vendors both needing to take off an extra day of work. We floated the idea of opening the vendor hall on Friday night a year or two ago, and we were asked by a lot of the vendors not to just because of the time. But, that's why we added the arcade tour, Clock Chaos and MGKaraoke to Friday nights -- we probably won't run the arcade tour again (it was a huge success, but the plan was always that it was just a special 10th anniversary thing), but the other things are quite popular, so there still is a reason to come out!

I know it's impossible. I know the current facility won't work. No, if I were running things I wouldn't know how to do it. However....

Could there someday be a lower price to ONLY access the vendor area? I'm really only interested in the vendor area, including seeing the pinball and arcade cabs for sale but the $20 price tag is a bit steep.

I know it's impossible. I know the current facility won't work. No, if I were running things I wouldn't know how to do it. However....

Could there someday be a lower price to ONLY access the vendor area? I'm really only interested in the vendor area, including seeing the pinball and arcade cabs for sale but the $20 price tag is a bit steep.

From one of the two show organizers who last year outlaid $50k+ to put on the show which turned a whopping $198 "profit" (and we have no idea how the show did this year for probably another two months), I have noted the suggestion but doubt we'd be able to act on it, even if there was a simple way to do so.

Oh wait -- there is a way -- go Sunday. It's $10.

• Like 1

Man the $20 is well worth it just to go into the pinball arcade. There is so much stuff there that I think everybody gets there money worth.

I did not leave the museum area too often because there is a ton of stuff there too. hope you reconsider next year.

cant wait to see pics of the event.i so gotta attend MGC,maybe next year.

If you do, let me know - I should be there! (Been going since 2008)

The show was a lot of fun this year - good to see Ax and Tempest there again along with the AAers that were selling in the vendor area! I really gotta get myself a hotel room there and contribute something next year so that I can spend more time there. :)

i will let ya know if i ever get to attend. :)

From one of the two show organizers who last year outlaid $50k+ to put on the show which turned a whopping $198 "profit" (and we have no idea how the show did this year for probably another two months), I have noted the suggestion but doubt we'd be able to act on it, even if there was a simple way to do so.

Oh wait -- there is a way -- go Sunday. It's $10.

:rolling: :rolling: :rolling:

That said, several times I've seen vendors hold stuff over to Sunday to give fresh stocks to their tables. PLUS there are always some good last minute deals to be had. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: for Sunday bargains.

AX

Yeah I figured it was a money issue. Not a big deal really, just curious if it were a future possibility.

If the show ever starts making enough money that I'm not having to freak out about it all the way up until it's over (and usually, two months after), it would be much more possible to at least consider :)

But seriously, I did think of that as I was posting -- Sunday is $10 to get in, so if you just want to see that stuff come that day. I think most people would agree there was a lot of good stuff still left Sunday -- I know I found a TON of awesome stuff myself Sunday. I got the Galaxian design docs for the upright machine, Jr Pac-Man control panel handdrawn engineering blueprints (the ONLY of that stuff in the world, total cost was like a "whopping" $60), T-Mek for the 32X for $5 (been looking for that FOREVER) and a bunch of other stuff too. Bunch of pinball parts too. And a machine.

Heck, if you're looking for machines, there are usually nice price drops the second day :)

Yeah I figured it was a money issue. Not a big deal really, just curious if it were a future possibility.

If the show ever starts making enough money that I'm not having to freak out about it all the way up until it's over (and usually, two months after), it would be much more possible to at least consider :)

But seriously, I did think of that as I was posting -- Sunday is $10 to get in, so if you just want to see that stuff come that day. I think most people would agree there was a lot of good stuff still left Sunday -- I know I found a TON of awesome stuff myself Sunday. I got the Galaxian design docs for the upright machine, Jr Pac-Man control panel handdrawn engineering blueprints (the ONLY of that stuff in the world, total cost was like a "whopping" $60), T-Mek for the 32X for $5 (been looking for that FOREVER) and a bunch of other stuff too. Bunch of pinball parts too. And a machine.

Heck, if you're looking for machines, there are usually nice price drops the second day :)

Yeah I got a Pitfall 32x, a few people were finishing their 32x collections I noticed - with those last semi-hard to find titles. Who bought the Warlords? Man if I had the $350 and didn't already get the Afterburner ($110 was a steal!) I'm going to have to try to duplicate the look of that with a 3d wall art.

AX

That Warlords machine was way too sweet. Playing on real hardware repeatedly proves to me how weak emulation is, in a lot of ways. Games that have Dial type controllers are nearly impossible to successfully emulate. I've never enjoyed the home / homebrew Dial games for consoles, unfortunately. Tempest, Front Line, Warlords, Tron. Got to have the real deal. In _addition_ to that amazing 3d art on Warlords. That price was insane, all of we who didn't buy it are fools. :P

And I should've brought more dough and taken a look at the Sunday deals. Sure, you can get some of this stuff for semi-comparable prices online. But there's something particularly nice about buying games from people who love games, in person and are willing to go to shows like this.

And thank you for correcting me! I didn't realize it came out for the C64, and I even had one. Watching the videos of this for c64 on Youtube makes me want this version badly. It's kind of perfect, in its blocky weirdness, like a lot of the games you'd see Bart playing on the show back in the early seasons.

Yeah I got a Pitfall 32x, a few people were finishing their 32x collections I noticed - with those last semi-hard to find titles.

The funny thing is that after mocking your purchase all weekend it turns out that I actually don't own it. I could have sworn I did... :D

Tempest

If I'm understanding correctly that the Warlords sold for $350, then I'm going to physically kick myself in the butt repeatedly for not going. Or rather, not being able to go (I really couldn't, again). :(

Nah, it sold for $650.

Oh, okay, you see what happens when you pass something from one person to the next... :D I "HEARD" that it was $350, and perhaps I'd even remembered what I was told wrong. (feel less bad)

AX

If I'm understanding correctly that the Warlords sold for $350, then I'm going to physically kick myself in the butt repeatedly for not going. Or rather, not being able to go (I really couldn't, again). :(

Nah, it sold for $650.

Okay, glad I misunderstood!!!! :D Thanks

I've gotten some stupidly awesome deals on MGC Sundays in the past. This year I got Zaxxon and Mr. Do's Castle for Atari 5200 for less than $50. Fortunately for me, NES and onward are "in" right now and Pre-NES systems seem to be mostly "out", so there's still a good selection of cool Atari/Coleco/Intellivision/Etc items left for me by Sunday. :)

The only things I wish I would have grabbed on Saturday were the NIB copies of Xenophobe and Motorodeo for the 2600; they were both gone by Sunday. But, I was still able to pick up some R5s and R6s missing from my 2600 collection, and even a CIB Videocart 13 for Channel F (nothing special about that; I just needed it for my collection).

I'm glad there were no arcades for sale that really interested me this year. The Defender cocktail was mighty tempting, though, and if the price could have come down to the $350-375 range, I may have been forced to decide which bills to put off until next month.:D It would have looked really cool next to my Anti-Aircraft and Tank games (yeah, I like the crusty old '70s arcades).

Waldo & Carmen were there? LOL that's great...

EDIT: Hey, I spotted both of them before you pointed it out. Now that you point it out, my post is even more pointless!

Edited by Mirage

Lol, I WAS serious. I was trying to figure out why my Compaq Portable wasn't working. :D

Marty came by the GOAT Store to let me know some of my things in the Museum weren't working properly. I quickly figured out that my power strip was acting flaky on me, which solved the Intellivision issue, but my Compaq Portable still wasn't displaying anything. I knew it was getting juice since the cooling fan was going, so I was getting a little freaked that the monitor had blown out or the CPU fried or something.

Turned out, some dink had dialed the brightness on the monitor all the way off. :roll::P So with a simple twist of a dial, Ms. Pac-Man, in all her phosphor-bleeding green-screen glory, ran like a champ for the rest of the weekend.

:)

Edited by BassGuitari

but my Compaq Portable still wasn't displaying anything. I knew it was getting juice since the cooling fan was going, so I was getting a little freaked that the monitor had blown out or the CPU fried or something.

Turned out, some dink had dialed the brightness on the monitor all the way off. :roll::P So with a simple twist of a dial, Ms. Pac-Man, in all her phosphor-bleeding green-screen glory, ran like a champ for the rest of the weekend.

:)

That dink was me. When I first saw it wasn't working, the first thing I did was do the brightness in both directions to make sure it wasn't just a simple fix because some other dink might have turned it down. When that didn't work, that's when I came and let you know it was a problem.

Edited by wgungfu