IGNORED

Questions about TOD editor.

Matt Fisher

Not content to relive my youth with my son by playing "Quest for the King," I purchased a copy of John Behnke's TOD editor so I could roll my own. Couple of questions, though, about getting the thing going. The manual says that prepare a "game" to be edited. Does this mean that I am altering copies of the QUEST or PENNIES files as they appear on the disk, or does this mean a "game" file that I've already started and saved? And, if I have to make a copy of QUEST, for example, and put it on a brand new disk per the instructions, how do I do this with one drive? Forgive my ignorance and I hope my questions are clear enough to be answered. I know the prospect of designing my own TOD adventure excites me a lot more than it should, but I will be nevertheless be sure to post whatever I come up with.

You are basically hacking up the graphics/items/etc for Quest for the King. I remember using that same editor back in '89.

Heck, I even remember buying the text adventure editor, so you could make your own games that ran off the (Scott Adams) Adventure module.

Someday if I had too much free time, I'd make a Fallout-flavored Tunnels of Doom. Sadly, I don't think the Java remake of the TOD editor has been released yet.

Hi Matt... do you have a disk manager? Disk manager 2 or DM2000? With this you could copy to a new disk.

I have used the ToD editor and it is quite tough to use... but it's not bad, once you get the hang of it. There should be a game ON the editor disk already. You don't need to worrk about copying, really... have one blank diskette for saving your game to. I can't remember, but I'm pretty sure you can save your progress, and when you do that, simply pull out the ToD editor disk and insert your new disk. It will prompt you to do this, so you shouldn't have much to worry about. If you're editing already, you're in good shape. For future loading of your edited game for further editing, it will prompt you to insert the disk your game is saved on.

I remember when I got started with my ToD Editor project. =) It was for a little game called "Legend of Beryl Reichardt" which started in the ToD editor and now has life in a standalone RPG project currently in development. I remember doing my graphics porting from the ToD game to XB...

These are 2 pics of my graphics work bringing it over from the ToD editor game:

reptocomp.jpg

compare2.jpg

This is a pic of my current game work... battle screen in the game.

battlepicslay2.png

So, I'll be hacking the QUEST file itself and not an already-made game file.

I guess that makes sense, since you would not be able to change the character names, number of floors, etc., if the "new" adventure is based on an already-built dungeon.

Thanks for the responses. Oh, and Opry99r, that new game looks fantastic. I'll have to read the thread...

Thank you very much. =) Here's the first trailer for the game I made. The graphics have changed a bit and there is a menu now as well as an "examine" function... this video is slightly outdated, but you can get the point... This all came from the power I felt using John Behnke's ToD editor. =)

I've had some great help with assembly routines and structural issues from some of the extremely talented programmers on this list. =)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8GE7-nqsTfo

• 2 weeks later...

Heck, I even remember buying the text adventure editor, so you could make your own games that ran off the (Scott Adams) Adventure module.

I just found Adventure Editor a few months ago and it is still great fun, even today. One of these days, I'm going to finish hacking on a more or less isomorphic parody called PiratED Adventure. There's also Scottcom, a compiler that outputs adventure game files in TI format. Although a bit old, scottcom will still build and work on Linux or Mac OS X, w/o much Makefile editing. (I think malloc.h moved someplace odd on OS X; whatever it was, it was a trivial Makefile fix.) Strange things can happen with scottcom w/o errors or warnings--perhaps as a result of my own illogicality--but it is vastly easier to use than Adventure Editor. This is assuming, of course, you have a way to get files from your intel machine to a TI or are using an emulator.

Scottcom is free but Adv. Editor is not, I think.