IGNORED

Sega Genesis Game Cart w/controller ports?

Metal Ghost

Hi all. I just heard Scott mention this in his hardware flashback segment on the Retro Gaming Roundup podcast, but he didn't know the name, and I can't seem to find anything.

Basically, he talks about a Sega Genesis cartridge that actually included in the cart two additional controller ports, in order to facilitate four player gaming.

Anyone know what that game was?

I remember that Sampras cart. Didn't Codemasters have a similar cart that was bundled with some cheesy games? Tennis and a racing game IIRC.

Looking online, I see Micro Machines 2 and Super Skidmarks had a similar setup. Codemasters as well, but I still remember there being a multi-cart by them, but maybe it was never released? Swear I saw it in mags back in the day.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/J-Cart

Odd. I know the Genesis had a multitap. I have one, though no games for it. I guess this is one way to allow 4 player gaming, but isn't that what the multitap is for? Besides, wouldn't using the cart for extra ports cause issues? Sometimes if a cart gets jostles in the port, a game fritzes out.

Edited by Lendorien

It's a rad idea, but I would be afraid of jostling the cart like you said. I dunno how many high-level Columns games were ended by somebody walking too closely to the sega :P Local game store has one of those tennis J-Carts and I'm tempted to pick it up, even though most tennis games put me directly to sleep.

Odd. I know the Genesis had a multitap. I have one, though no games for it. I guess this is one way to allow 4 player gaming, but isn't that what the multitap is for? Besides, wouldn't using the cart for extra ports cause issues? Sometimes if a cart gets jostles in the port, a game fritzes out.

Only if the cart and/or cart slot is dirty. Believe it or not, you CAN eliminate that ever so common problem of carts freezing, just by keeping everything CLEAN. I have even gotten my SNES clean enough to stop it from freezing when carts are moved, and everyone knows how finicky the SNES's cart slot is about that sort of thing.

I should put some of this post in my sig. People need to stop being such slobs and actually clean the crap out of your systems and carts. There's no excuse for dirt when rubbing alcohol, q-tips and erasers are commonly available.

I think it's a cool idea. As far as the multitap, yea, that's a different means to the same ends. If person plans to buy, or a company plans to sell, many such 4-player enabled games, the multitap route makes more sense. BUT....having a J-Cart type solution ensures that such 4-player gaming is always possible, regardless of whether or not the buyer has an added peripheral. I like the 'all-in-one' -ness of it!

Hmmm, I wonder if this type of cart is technically feasible on any other consoles??? Maybe that's hard to answer without knowing more about how these particular games enabled such functionality.....but any ideas out there about whether this type of thing would be possible on other consoles?

Why would you put controller ports on a GBA cart? There's already an EXT. port for local networking. Besides, the GBA screen is too small for multiplayer on one system. Super Game Boy and GB Player don't count.

No idea, maybe for alternate controls? Single-cart multiplayer for games to large to share over the EXT port? I didn't say it was a great idea, I said it was maybe possible.