IGNORED

Sega Genesis - 6 Button controllers

SlowCoder

The 6-button controller was introduced fairly early on in the Genesis lifespan, and I would say it's probably easier to list the number of games that don't support it. Even most 3-button games are still playable on the 6-button, with only a few that will act wonky (the 6-button controller's "MODE" button is so that it can pretend to be a 3-button controller for those games that can't stomach a 6-button controller).

I mostly just use my 6 button controller, I leave it in and don't have to worry about switching it out.

Me, too. I had my first rev standard 6-button controller since the day after I got my Genesis, and it's just about all I have ever used since. The Majesco version that came out with the Genesis 3 isn't that bad, though.

I got my 6-button WIRELESS controllers for x-mas (1994?). And they had SIX buttons!

Good stuff, made a whole lot of games easier. The 3 button is great, good controllers, they got it early, and that made it pretty much standard.

Of course, please take this all with a grain of salt, I do believe ALL of the Sega D-pad controllers are better than any other...

sorry, just me.

Markimus of K.

I have 2 6-button controllers but I don't know why. The only game I've ever owned that actually uses it is After Burner SegaCD. Other than that, I've played Mortal Kombat, and that's it for 6-button games I've ever seen.

I got into the Genesis early on and lost interest after a few years, so lots of the later Genesis stuff is still new or unknown to me. For example, I was shocked a few years ago when I discovered there were Konami games.

When did they start selling the 6 button controllers? I have two model 1 systems and they both came with the 3 button controllers.

Probably in '93. I think that's when Street Fighter II CE finally made its way over to the Genesis, and Eternal Champions and the home version of the first Mortal Kombat hit that year as well. Also, that's when Sega began using the newer red box styling, and I believe all of Sega's own six button pads (pre-Majesco era) used this styling.

Lost Vikings uses it too. One of the few games that uses the mode button for a function other than switching between 3 and 6 button modes. Lots of fighting games use it. Aside from the ones mentioned, Samurai Shodown uses it. I think the JP only port of Power Instinct and Yu Yu Hakusho (the Treasure one) might use it too.

I mostly just use my 6 button controller, I leave it in and don't have to worry about switching it out.

I have my Genesis set up next to the Atari 800 and share the controllers between systems. I use the 6 buttons for both, though it doesn't make a difference with a computer with one button joysticks like the 800 XL.

Edited by BrianC

I only use the 6 button controllers anymore. I liked fighting games when I owned a Genesis new so I had them then. It was just easier to use the controller already plugged in then to switch to a 3 button controller just because I could. The consoles I have now are the ones I had then, so I still have a pile of 6 button controllers and only a few 3 button, so the trend just continues.

• 6 months later...

I have 4 3-button Genesis controllers, and 1 6-button controller. Was wondering how many games actually use the 6-button controller?

Easy Doom 32X, Virtua Racing, Street Fighter 2 Championship Edition, and even Garfield Caught in the act.

Hi there, I just wanted to revive this post because I have a Genesis but only a 3-button controller for it.

Do I need a 6-button controller to play Virtua Racing Deluxe? Or is it like Star Wars Arcade (which I currently own) where you can totally play the game with just a 3-button controller just fine?

Pff, you can play virtua racing with just one button if you want. Pretty sure the XYZ buttons would only be used for selecting your view, like the arcade cabinet.

edit: You know what? I've played a couple of games that actually use the Mode button in gameplay. I think in Williams Arcade Collection is switches control schemes; some other game I have, it pops up your inventory. I was shocked.

Edited by Rex Dart

Are there any games that actually *require* a 6-button controller? I mean this as in certain functions not being able to be performed without those extra buttons. I know that in the case of Comix Zone, and, say, Mortal Kombat 3, combinations of button presses will get you the actions you want. It's not the best solution, but the games are still playable.

• 3 months later...

Now it's been awhile but in Comix Zone if you use a 3-button controller isn't there an animation of the character digging around in his pockets for the item you're trying to select? Again, it's been awhile but I think that animation is lost w/ the 6-button controller.

I usually just have my 6-button hooked up. But I found the 3-button to be possibly the most comfortable video game controller for my now adult sized hands.

I usually just have my 6-button hooked up. But I found the 3-button to be possibly the most comfortable video game controller for my now adult sized hands.

Three-button arcade stick for me. I might use the six-button if I could find one in good working order, but I can't.