IGNORED

7800 HSC Season 3 Round 13 Desert Falcon

roadrunner

A best for me anyway.

This one is like RealSports Baseball for me too. I thought I didn't like it, but it's pretty great.

I've played Pete Rose baseball on the 7800, but not Realsports Baseball. Which is the better game? (perhaps i should pose this question in a separate thread :?: ).

I agree --- Desert Falcon is a pretty great game!

A best for me anyway.

This one is like RealSports Baseball for me too. I thought I didn't like it, but it's pretty great.

I've played Pete Rose baseball on the 7800, but not Realsports Baseball. Which is the better game? (perhaps i should pose this question in a separate thread :?: ).

I agree --- Desert Falcon is a pretty great game!

Call me crazy but i pefer RS Baseball. The thing i don't like about PR Baseball is the ball can be right in front of 1 of your players but he can't pick it up because the ball is not in his zone. :( But it's alot easier to hit the ball in PR BB. :)

Hurray, my cart arrived yesterday! Are you supposed to see/hear something when activating the hieroglyphics with the right button? Normally it says "points", but I got decoy once and was expecting to see a decoy but didn't. I did test my unit with Jinks to make sure both buttons worked, one flipped the paddle while the other shook the screen.

post-3056-130003553119_thumb.jpg

Call me crazy but i pefer RS Baseball.

Crazy is not the word for it. :)

Most people would certainly prefer PR, as it's oddness can be learned and dealt with. Once you "get it" you can beat up on the computer. Realsports is odd precisely because it is nearly impossible to win, and the computer will pound you into the dirt with the slightest mistake.

Still, it grows on you if you really spend time on it. Look at our High Score thread on it and you'll see how much we started to get into it.

I think very early on Atari should have made Desert Falcon the pack in with the 7800. My theory is that they wanted a pack in that looked better than anything they could do with the 2600, that was fairly deep, and thayt used both buttons o9n the new controllers. I think Desert Falcon fits that bill as well as PP2 does. I think it has two big advantages though.

1) It is an Atari property. This means that if you have an Atari system you can have this game, but if you don't you can't. It's not the best game in the world, but it is an Atari only game.

2) It is marketable. The enemy Sphinx and the Falcon can each appear on the system's promotional material. They could be as tied to the 7800 (or at least Atari) as Mario and the NES. Again, it isn't important that it isn't as good as Super Mario (few things are), just that seeing an ad with the Royal Falcon and the Howling Sphinx would mean Atari to people.

I think they missed an oportunity by tying their system to a race car owned by Namco. Theres not a lot of personality to another company's car (even if Atari was tied to PP by distribution rights in the arcade or whatever). The Royal Falcon could still be fighting the Howling Sphinx in Atari games today.

I think very early on Atari should have made Desert Falcon the pack in with the 7800. My theory is that they wanted a pack in that looked better than anything they could do with the 2600, that was fairly deep, and thayt used both buttons o9n the new controllers. I think Desert Falcon fits that bill as well as PP2 does. I think it has two big advantages though.

1) It is an Atari property. This means that if you have an Atari system you can have this game, but if you don't you can't. It's not the best game in the world, but it is an Atari only game.

2) It is marketable. The enemy Sphinx and the Falcon can each appear on the system's promotional material. They could be as tied to the 7800 (or at least Atari) as Mario and the NES. Again, it isn't important that it isn't as good as Super Mario (few things are), just that seeing an ad with the Royal Falcon and the Howling Sphinx would mean Atari to people.

I think they missed an oportunity by tying their system to a race car owned by Namco. Theres not a lot of personality to another company's car (even if Atari was tied to PP by distribution rights in the arcade or whatever). The Royal Falcon could still be fighting the Howling Sphinx in Atari games today.

Not only that Atari released PP2 separatly. Why release the game by itself after it was the pack in game?

Every 7800 owner should of already had PP2.

At least PP2 was a better pack in then what the 5200 owners got - Super Breakout.

Atari wised up and later changed the pack in to Pac Man.

Edited by roadrunner

Hurray, my cart arrived yesterday! Are you supposed to see/hear something when activating the hieroglyphics with the right button? Normally it says "points", but I got decoy once and was expecting to see a decoy but didn't. I did test my unit with Jinks to make sure both buttons worked, one flipped the paddle while the other shook the screen.

post-3056-130003553119_thumb.jpg

Usually i get points too. When activating the hieroglyphics you'll see what it is on the score display.

When you activate Decoy the bad guys won't attack you for awhile. :)

Edited by roadrunner

Most people would certainly prefer PR, as it's oddness can be learned and dealt with. Once you "get it" you can beat up on the computer. Realsports is odd precisely because it is nearly impossible to win, and the computer will pound you into the dirt with the slightest mistake.

Still, it grows on you if you really spend time on it. Look at our High Score thread on it and you'll see how much we started to get into it.

Yeah, we played RS Baseball in Season 3 Variety pack round 7.

Alot of good dissusion about this game in that thread. :)

Yeah, we played RS Baseball in Season 3 Variety pack round 7.

Alot of good dissusion about this game in that thread. :)

Thanks, Atarifever and Roadrunner. I'll definitely check out that thread.

Usually i get points too. When activating the hieroglyphics you'll see what it is on the score display.

When you activate Decoy the bad guys won't attack you for awhile. :)

Thanks, was expecting something more obvious than text in the score area.

98,782 :)

post-4460-130011026548_thumb.png

AHA! Proof! You ARE a mechanical man from the future and not a regualr human being. You have overplayed your hand cyborg. I move that all Mord's scores be striken from the record, as robots from the future are clearly not allowed in the HSC as per section 14C of the rulebook.

Edited by Atarifever