IGNORED

Players Choice

TwinChargers

The Pikmin 2 Wii rerelease launched as a Nintendo Selects title in June 2012. Not really quite the same thing since the Wii version wasn't available previously but at least something under that banner was released last year to provide a glimmer of hope for more in the future.

I was thinking the first couple of waves of Nintendo Selects releases happened in 2012 and that we could look forward to more in 2013. But if it took place in 2011 instead, it certainly looks like a dead program. Hopefully if anything good comes out of the stripped down Wii Mini it will be giving new life to this idea since it seems reasonable to assume that they;re going to want a range of popular titles at budget prices to sell to Wii Mini owners.

I was hoping to pick up at least Wii Sports Resort, Skyward Sword, and Super Mario Galaxy 2 after joining this lineup. And there are several other lesser 1st party releases I'd pick up if they happened to be included. Sure seems like leaving money on the table by not discounting some of these popular games to $20 at this late point to sell to existing Wii owners that never bought them earlier, to sell to future Wii owners (Which are that much more likely to bite and finally buy a console if they saw lots of quality software like Skyward Sword for $20), and even Wii U owners.

Things like Super Mario Galaxy 2 at budget prices probably would help tide over many Wii U owners as they wait for the next big game for their new console.

Edited by Atariboy

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

That's too bad.

I assume that their 1st party lineup still sells well but I would think that there would be much more money to be made at this point in dropping the prices for games like New Super Mario Brothers DS.

I agree. The high prices just drive people to the used market to buy their games and Nintendo makes no money for that. A lower price point would move new product for Nintendo.

• 3 months later...

Finally! After a few years now, New Super Mario Bros. Wii, Mario Galaxy 2 and Wii Sports Resort are getting a price cut to $29.99. I knew if I waited I'd win. I will pick up the New (old now I guess) Super Mario Bros. Wii given I can't see it getting much cheaper.

I was never totally drawn into Galaxy. It was okay, but I just left the game and never came back to it. Perhaps I should go back. Is the sequel more of the same or is it significantly better?

A lot better than nothing which was what I expected. The Nintendo Selects line ended so quickly and so much time has passed that I thought that was the end of it.

Are these branded as Nintendo Selects? I'm assuming not judging by the white case copies of New Super Mario Brothers with standard artwork that I've recently spotted (Originally, it came with a red case instead of the usual white).

Edited by Atariboy

• 7 months later...

For any Europeans around here, Nintendo is expanding their Nintendo Selects lineup over there. New Super Mario Bros. Wii, Super Mario Galaxy 2, Mario Party 9, and Wii Party will be joining the program on June 13th.

large.jpg

Too bad that Nintendo of America doesn't have a clue.

Edited by Atariboy
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...

:)

original.jpg

Somewhat surprised to see Super Mario Galaxy 2 on here, considering that the regular edition was just reprinted recently finally (And thus, finally could be had for $29.99 several years after its MSRP was dropped when stock basically had already dried up).

It has been able to be found easily for $30 at Wal-Mart for a good 6 months or so (And likely, elsewhere as well). So if anyone hasn't jumped on this and is one of the oddballs that's bothered by rereleases with special branding on their inserts, go check your local Wal-Mart.

Edited by Atariboy

I forgot about the DLC, but excellent suggestion. I hope by some fluke that they do the right thing and include it.

It's worth cautioning that this hasn't been confirmed yet and is coming from a small Canadian videogame store. But it seems to have been widely accepted, so hopefully we'll soon have our confirmation.

Also, Mario Galaxy 2 was $20 a couple of weeks ago. I am not sure if that was a fluke, but I picked it up at Wal-Mart when I saw it for that price.

MSRP was dropped in September 2013 to $29.99, but stock at mainstream retailers was already gone when they did that so it was essentially meaningless. But it was finally reprinted last Fall and has been easily located at Wal-Mart for $20 since then.

And sadly, I held out for years on a price drop since I had a backlog and could wait it out. I had given up on it being reprinted though just a few weeks before this happened and paid about $45 or so for a new copy since it had been inching upwards for a while at that time and I didn't want to end up paying a small fortune.

Always happens, but at least I didn't bite when I discovered Pikmin 3 in stock at a local Wal-Mart a few months back just after learning of the inflated price of used copies. :)

Edited by Atariboy

• 2 weeks later...
It's official and they're all $20 USD (I had hoped that the $29.99 on that early leak was due to it originating from a Canadian store). :)

REDMOND, Wash., Feb. 29, 2016 – Starting on March 11, some of the most popular and critically acclaimed Wii U and Nintendo 3DS games become a part of the Nintendo Selects program and will be available at a suggested retail price of only $19.99 each. Wii U games like Super Mario 3D World, an imaginative four-player adventure with Mario and friends that received numerous Game of the Year awards and nominations when it first launched in 2013, join Nintendo 3DS standouts such as The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D, one of the most critically acclaimed Nintendo 3DS games of all time.
“Whether you just picked up a new Wii U or Nintendo 3DS system over the holiday season or want to expand your ever-growing game collection, Nintendo Selects are a great, affordable option,” said Scott Moffitt, Nintendo of America’s Executive Vice President of Sales & Marketing. “Not only are these games easier than ever to enjoy, but they also represent some of our highest-quality offerings in recent memory.”
Other Wii U games joining the Nintendo Selects family are Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze, Pikmin 3 and NES Remix Pack. Fun Nintendo 3DS games Yoshi’s New Island, Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D and Mario Party: Island Tour can also be purchased at the new low suggested retail price of $19.99 each on March 11. Additionally, a group of classics from the Wii console that can be played on Wii U will be available at the reduced Nintendo Selects price. This includes Super Mario Galaxy 2, Animal Crossing: City Folk, Donkey Kong Country Returns and Super Mario All-Stars.

And based on this Nintendo leak that correctly predicted the Pokemon announcement the other day and even got the codename for the project correct (Essentially confirming that this information originates from within Nintendo), we can even count on a 2nd round of rereleases this Fall.
I'll be buying 5 of these, including all of the Wii U entries except Super Mario 3D World (Which I already own).
Edited by Atariboy

For $20 I will get the Donkey Kong country game for the WiiU. I have been hesitant to buy this one because I did not like the motion controls of the last DKC game released for the Wii. But for $20 there is not much lost if I do not like it.

Edited by Bilnick

That is awesome news! I'll be picking many of them up myself. I have a tendency of buying the Nintendo releases new, then trading them in eventually because they are still worth decent money, in order to fund other purchases. At $20, I'll be snapping them up and holding on to them. It'll be fun to play through Pikmin 3 again especially. :)

• Like 1

You almost certainly got it by buying Mario Kart when it was new. They had a promotion that allowed you to pick from that, Wind Waker HD, and perhaps 1 other title by registering MK8 on Club Nintendo.

I picked Wind Waker HD and shortly afterwards, got it for $20 new at a Canadian Wal-Mart during some sort of Wal-Mart anniversary sale over there. Been kicking myself ever since that I didn't select Pikmin 3, until now. :)

Really wish they'd include the DLC on disc for re-releases like Pikmin 3. Nintendo's account restrictions, mandatory patches, and limited storage on the Wii U mean that I won't deal with eshop... but I'd gladly re-purchase to get a 'complete' physical release.

Sadly, I don't believe that they did.

game.png

It would likely be plastered on the artwork if it was included.

Europe is getting into the fun now with their first Selects releases announced for the Wii U. They'll be getting New Super Mario Bros. U + New Super Luigi U, Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze, Wii Party U, Wind Waker HD, and LEGO City Undercover in April.

Minus Topical Freeze which is in our first round of selections, perhaps this is a hint of what we can expect for a 2nd round of rereleases this Fall. I largely already own what I want out of that group, but Lego City Undercover is on my want list so I'd certainly be in for that one if it happens over here. :)

Edited by Atariboy

Unlike the copy/paste movie themed titles that continue to clone the original Lego Star Wars to this day, Undercover actually goes for a fair bit thanks to Nintendo publishing it and doing only a relatively small print run that largely dried up millions of consoles ago.

Prices on Amazon start at $80 new and used at $40.

Edited by Atariboy