IGNORED

Game Saves

moycon

I read in this article Sony is now allowing Playstation Plus members to put games saves on a server that can be accessed from any of their PS3s:

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/115/1154602p1.html

Has anyone used this feature? Just curious, what happens to those saves when your PS+ membership expires?

Also can you just manually move saves from one PS3 to another? I've been wanting to get back into Katamari, but my old saves are on my first PS3 down stairs where as I've been using my new PS slim to play games recently. Can I just use a USB flash drive to get them and if so how?

I read in this article Sony is now allowing Playstation Plus members to put games saves on a server that can be accessed from any of their PS3s:

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/115/1154602p1.html

Has anyone used this feature? Just curious, what happens to those saves when your PS+ membership expires?

Also can you just manually move saves from one PS3 to another? I've been wanting to get back into Katamari, but my old saves are on my first PS3 down stairs where as I've been using my new PS slim to play games recently. Can I just use a USB flash drive to get them and if so how?

There's a lot of questions concerning plus membership. One thing I can confirm is if you cancel plus membership, you no longer have access to games you have downloaded through Plus. I would assume the same thing about save files. Also, I dont know if locked save games are included (Dragon Age, Demons Souls etc). It would be nice if they were.

As far as transfering saves manually. Easy, just plug in a USB stick. Go to your save games on the XMB (game category and go up) and copy your saves to the stick and xfer them to the other PS3. Simple. Some saves are profile based so you still may be able to copy them but trophies will be disabled if you use a different profile on the destination PS3. Also, I dont think you can mass copy. Its one at a time.

Let me know if you find more info on Plus's "limitations" or fine prints.

I received this Email from Sony, which in part reads:

The new online storage feature allows gamers to store up to 150MB of game save data and a maximum of 1000 data files per PSN account. Users also have the ability to back-up “copy-prohibited save data,” and all previously saved data may be restored once per 24 hour period. When the new feature launches, most PS3 titles will be compatible with online storage for game saves, and moving forward, all new titles will have the capability to offer the storage option.

Since your files will be saved to the network, you can access them on any PS3 system just by using your Playstation Network account login.

Since this is a Playstation Plus exclusive, I'm assuming that if you let your membership expire, your saves are no longer accessible.

Mendon

Edited by Mendon

How nice, you have to pay to be able to do something you should be able to do for free without any hassle with a USB memory stick (Moving copy protected saves between systems).

Is losing Playstation Plus much of a hassle in regards to this feature? This exist to backup your data, to do a transfer between systems to finally be able to move copy protected saves easier, to download a save on to a friend's PS3 if you need to, etc.

It's not for normal usage (Every time you save a game or load a game, you aren't going to be accessing this feature), so if you decide it's just not worth it any longer to subscribe, just make sure you have whatever saves you want to keep that you don't have any longer on your system downloaded back on to your own hard drive.

They're not going to disappear like free Playstation Plus games, you just have to make sure you have a copy of whatever it is on your console before your subscription lapse. So it doesn't strike me as much of a problem.

I'm just annoyed we're not allowed to do this for free with our own memory cards.

Edited by Atariboy