IGNORED

The Great Sega Genesis Power Supply Conundrum

SRGilbert

Is there a definative ruling on Sega Genesis power adapters and what might be used as a substitute? I'm trying to sell off some of my extra junk and need to figure this out.

I have at least 3 Model 1 Gennys and a Model 2 Sega CD, as well as a Model 2 Genny.

I have no Model 1 power adapters, but a couple of Model 2 power adapters. icon_mad.gif

I have 3 Model 1 RF cables, but no Model 2 RF or AV cables! icon_mad.gif

I know the Model 1 and the Sega CD take the same power supply.

I've read that some have had success with using a NES power supply with the Model 1 Genny, but to NOT use it with the Sega CD? If that is the case, that would be awesome as I have several extra NES supplies.

If the M1 and the CD use the same official adapter, and the NES works on the M1, then why would it not work on the CD?

Using the NES power supply will work but fry the Sega in time. You can switch the cables on the supplies internally, but probabbly not worth the effort. I've been using aftermarket power supplies for my Gen1's and SMS systems that I've sold. I've had good results with the one that has two cords on it: 1 for sega, and 1 for SNES. Jaguar supplies and TG16 will also work on Gen1 and SMS.

Well obviously. It just seems like every time I pick up a Sega lot at a yard sale, the stupid PS is always missing. On the other hand, I have many many extra Atari and nintendo power supplies. When you trying to resell stuff, that can really cut into the ol' profit margin!

Is using a SMS supply safe with a Model 1 Genesis? That's what I've been doing.

Better to use the other way around but it won't hurt the system. SMS used 1 amp while genesis used 1.2 amps. Sega recommends use of the Genesis cord on the SMS. They said it held up better.

The Atari Jaguar supply will work with the model 1 Genesis, actually. And vice versa.

I've made it a point to grab a spare for a power supply if I find it at a thrift, and don't have a spare available, and that I don't see the matching console anywhere around the thrift at the time.

Model 1 Genesis PSUs certainly are a pain to find. I am still on the hunt for a SMS/Genesis1/Sega CD supply. Either will work since it's a Master System I wish to power. I think SMS supplies are the toughest to find, probably because the system didn't exactly sell that well.

As for replacements, I smacketh thy neighbor who said to use an NES supply. DO NOT DO THAT! The NES's adapter outputs AC Current, not DC like virtually every other console. AC current in a DC circuit will completely destroy the latter machine (perhaps not if there is a power fuse, like the Sega CD has).

However, the NES can accept DC power much the same as AC, so it can use a Genesis adapter no problem. Isn't that annoyingly discriminatory? The NES can use the MD's PSU, but not the other way? I say BS. I always knew Nintendo was an asshole... :D

Generic AC Adapters can be used in place of official ones, but keep in mind that they often output a current (sometimes even voltage!) lower than what the label says. Be vary careful of this! Too little amperage can slowly damage the console (whereas too many amps can just make the console a little warmer). If you are getting a generic PSU, test it's voltage and amperage before using it to ensure absolute peak performance with your Genesis.

• Like 1

Universal PSU anybody?

I don't like the generic power supplies. What's the point in collecting? I just paid 2.00 for original NES AV cables.the yellow and red ones just so I can have a complete in the box system. I also once spent 65.00 just so I could have an actual Roland power supply for my MT-32.. Way before ebay was around.

• Like 1

I made my own PSU from a cheap-o laptop thing from ebay. 10-12VDC at 4A powers most anything from Sega. Mine is a laptop thing from Canon that I chopped the tips from two Model 1 dead PSU's and now it powers both a SCD and a Genny M1. Works great and it only takes up one outlet. Also regulated and never even gets warm.

I appreciate the suggestions, but come on guys! Jaguar, TG16? Yeah, those are just lying around everywhere. icon_rolleyes.gificon_mrgreen.gif

Around here, I think plenty of us just have those lying around. I sure do. I think sometimes we forget that not everyone has a big pile of classic game consoles in the corner.