IGNORED

Forum Upgrade (mostly) Complete!

Albert

Links are bold and blue again! That looks better. I've gotten so used to bold blue links at AtariAge that I'm seriously thinking about making the links on my web site bold and blue and getting rid of the underline, even though "Links must always be underlined!" has been beaten into my brain by web design experts over the years.

Al, I assume you know about this and it's on your "to-do" list, but just in case -- I'm seeing some broken layout issues on pages that list forum topics in a big table, as in the attached screenshot taken from the last page of "My Content".

post-6067-0-31223600-1303663910_thumb.png

In this case it seems to be trying to list the same result twice consecutively, and that's breaking something.

I think I've seen this also crop up on pages generated by "View New Content", and/or within the subpages for particular forums, but I'm not 100% sure of that.

Has anyone noticed that the "my content" has reverted back to its old/new ways? It's not listing things recently posted again. Maybe it has a delay like a few weeks back?

There was one day when it was working perfectly. It seemed to update the second something was posted. Then it went back to being almost useless again. I wonder what happened the day it was perfect?

• 2 weeks later...
Yep.. if you make a post it doesn't show up in the "My Content" until like a day or two later. Back in the old days, it used to be instantaneous.. but I guess this is "new and improved". :P

It's quite pointless that way indeed. I don't need a list of 1.000 threads where I posted something sometime during the last 10 years, instead I'm interested in threads I participated in that got any replies recently.

Yep.. if you make a post it doesn't show up in the "My Content" until like a day or two later. Back in the old days, it used to be instantaneous.. but I guess this is "new and improved". :P

The entire search system has been revised in a big way with version 3.2 of the software. I've now had a chance to play with it and it's quite nice. Here are two screenshots from the new system.

Screen shot 2011-05-06 at 2.47.57 PM.png

Forum filters are now built in, as opposed to a third-party mod:

Screen shot 2011-05-06 at 2.48.34 PM.png

Here's how topic preview works now (you click on an icon and it'll show you two posts from the thread, in-line, very nice):

Screen shot 2011-05-06 at 2.50.10 PM.png

..Al

Any more updates? Links to the blogs? Fixing the blogs themselves? :ponder:

3.2 of the software is nearly done and Invision now has a preview board available for testing and feedback. It looks very promising and I expect it'll be released fairly soon (they'll leave the test board up for a bit, then put it live on their company forum and then unleash it to the masses).

..Al

Any more updates? Links to the blogs? Fixing the blogs themselves? :ponder:

I fixed the missing Blogs tab. I need to write the person who was working on the forum skin and ask him to finish skinning the Blogs section. IP.Board 3.2 is right around the corner, so I'm not going to spend much time "fixing" the blogs until that is released. I know you've heard that before, but my time is more at a premium right now, unfortunately. It remains to be seen how much love the Blogs are going to get in 3.2, as they haven't added them yet to their 3.2 test forum. I'll post some screenshots here as soon as they do. After playing with 3.2 pretty extensively, it's going to be quite interesting to see how people react here to it. :D

..Al

It's quite pointless that way indeed. I don't need a list of 1.000 threads where I posted something sometime during the last 10 years, instead I'm interested in threads I participated in that got any replies recently.

I agree and it sucks. Invision is well aware of the problem and they have spent a significant amount of time reworking the "My Content", "View New Content" and general search mechanisms work (there are some screenshots above). They are well aware people are unhappy with the present bugs, so there will be pitchforks and torches if any of these problems remain with 3.2. This is an issue I personally feel is one of the most important aspects of a forum (being able to easily find content), so I'll be banging on 3.2 very hard to find and file bugs. I've already filed several search-related bugs against 3.2 that they promptly fixed.

..Al

I agree and it sucks. Invision is well aware of the problem and they have spent a significant amount of time reworking the "My Content", "View New Content" and general search mechanisms work (there are some screenshots above). They are well aware people are unhappy with the present bugs, so there will be pitchforks and torches if any of these problems remain with 3.2. This is an issue I personally feel is one of the most important aspects of a forum (being able to easily find content), so I'll be banging on 3.2 very hard to find and file bugs. I've already filed several search-related bugs against 3.2 that they promptly fixed. ..Al

That's good to know.. because you're right, it's almost the #1 essential functionality of forum software to monitor your own posts & replies, yet they seemed to have drop the ball.

I'd actually be really interested in following the discussions on the Invision forums about this, but it appears they locked all us outsiders out and keep the flames private. :lol:

Ah well.. just let us know when and if any improvements come live! :)

Edited by NE146

When going into the 'My Profile' page, is there any way to have the default tab be something other than the 'Recent Status Updates' tab?

I never use 'Recent Status Updates', but I do use the other tabs. I would like it if I could make one of the other tabs the default.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

hi taptalk have troubles for see atari 8bit main forum , hope can be fixed thx!

What kind of troubles? I know that the "Latest Unread" tab does not work, searching does not work, and a few other pages. I am now working with Tapatalk to help them add Sphinx support to the forum. Once they finish this, the app should fully function.

tapatalk_fail.png

Sad Tapatalk is Sad.

..Al

When going into the 'My Profile' page, is there any way to have the default tab be something other than the 'Recent Status Updates' tab?

There is no way to do this on an individual user basis right. I could globally change it, but I'm not going to do that right now. I can make a mod request on Invision's site; perhaps someone will write one. :)

..Al